shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Congratulations to Walkons Padello and Choi

Post by shrek2 »

These two young men joined the team and gave it their best effort and to win 2nd team MWC for Padello and honorable mention for Choi. Thanks for making the UH program a successful one. Every team needs walkons to bolster their program and these two young men were great examples of how it was done. Also, congrats to Dale and Sharsh for contributing to that effort.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Re: Congratulations to Walkons Padello and Choi

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Padello has been hard to stop since HS and the fact he beats guys way bigger, stronger and heavier speaks volumes of his technique, abilities and preparation. Choi has been a surprise with his quickness and explosive power given he's undersized for a 3 technique. Hawaii has many poster boys for walk on successes and these young men continue that tradition.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I see Choi applying pressure, and often times, almost got the sack/tackle. I understand pressure often times may work better - don't know.

But just once I like to see Choi go full steam at someone and get a clean QB sack (like Noga or Tanuvassa.) Just for the highlight reel.

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dakineguy »

I have enjoyed watching Padello and Choi and the rest of the defense. I guess this is it for Zeno Choi at UH. I hope he has a good life and thanks for playing for Hawaii. I enjoyed his enthusiasm. You can tell he put his all into the game. Padello has been exciting and effective also and we will see again next year hopefully. But yeah thanks for everything. DEFENSE!
GO WARRIORS !!! PLAY HARD!!!!
Ohana Makou
ex-lounge lizard, ex-stair creature, ex-Jhaller

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

cabanalane wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:16 am I see Choi applying pressure, and often times, almost got the sack/tackle. I understand pressure often times may work better - don't know.

But just once I like to see Choi go full steam at someone and get a clean QB sack (like Noga or Tanuvassa.) Just for the highlight reel.
He lacks Al's speed...better to get pressure than be stoned at the line of scrimmage!
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

shrek2 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:49 am These two young men joined the team and gave it their best effort and to win 2nd team MWC for Padello and honorable mention for Choi. Thanks for making the UH program a successful one. Every team needs walkons to bolster their program and these two young men were great examples of how it was done. Also, congrats to Dale and Sharsh for contributing to that effort.
When coach Rolo spoke about recruiting players with heart, these are the type of players he's talking about.
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

stranger808 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:18 am
shrek2 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:49 am These two young men joined the team and gave it their best effort and to win 2nd team MWC for Padello and honorable mention for Choi. Thanks for making the UH program a successful one. Every team needs walkons to bolster their program and these two young men were great examples of how it was done. Also, congrats to Dale and Sharsh for contributing to that effort.
When coach Rolo spoke about recruiting players with heart, these are the type of players he's talking about.
I like the fact that Padello, Choi, Dale and Sharsh were given scholarships at the beginning of the year. Although this is his last year, I like Dale with his reckless abandonment type running hurdling over tacklers. Sharsh became a starter for three games and made key catches in the final game. I, personally, can't get over giving Hunter Hughes a scholarship last year and having him give the Hawaii program a lefthanded compliment in his interview about Dru Brown this year.
"A big thing that I’ve been excited to see with Dru next year, is what could possibly happen when he has the tools that Oklahoma State provides you. Every single one of your receivers is 6-5 and runs a 4.5. What he was able to do over here in Hawaii with – I love everybody we’ve played with – but it’s not comparable. What he was able to do is pretty miraculous. What I’m really excited, and what me and him have been excited about together, is, ‘What is the possibility with the tools that are gonna be at hand over there?’"
Hughes was a scout team player all last year. We all know how great the locker room situation was last year and how Hughes was able to contribute to that great feeling and also how well Hawaii was prepared for their next game.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

shrek2 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:50 pm
stranger808 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:18 am
I like the fact that Padello, Choi, Dale and Sharsh were given scholarships at the beginning of the year. Although this is his last year, I like Dale with his reckless abandonment type running hurdling over tacklers. Sharsh became a starter for three games and made key catches in the final game. I, personally, can't get over giving Hunter Hughes a scholarship last year and having him give the Hawaii program a lefthanded compliment in his interview about Dru Brown this year.
"A big thing that I’ve been excited to see with Dru next year, is what could possibly happen when he has the tools that Oklahoma State provides you. Every single one of your receivers is 6-5 and runs a 4.5. What he was able to do over here in Hawaii with – I love everybody we’ve played with – but it’s not comparable. What he was able to do is pretty miraculous. What I’m really excited, and what me and him have been excited about together, is, ‘What is the possibility with the tools that are gonna be at hand over there?’"
Hughes was a scout team player all last year. We all know how great the locker room situation was last year and how Hughes was able to contribute to that great feeling and also how well Hawaii was prepared for their next game.
That's horrible what he said. Hunter talks about Dru Brown like he was the only reason our team won games. The UH program gave Brown the chance to compete and play D1 football. Dru was an undersized QB with average speed & below average arm strength. The only thing Dru had going for him was his savvy, and Rolo's offense. No other D1 program gave him a shot (for good reason), the UH gave him a schollie because of our desperate QB situation, IMO. Dru went to a OSU program that barely made a bowl game (6-6), and sat on the bench. Also, OSU's WRs are not all 6'5" with 4.5 speed, what a joke. Hunter has shown how naive and immature he is. What a knucklehead.
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

stranger808 wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:56 am That's horrible what he said. Hunter talks about Dru Brown like he was the only reason our team won games. The UH program gave Brown the chance to compete and play D1 football. Dru was an undersized QB with average speed & below average arm strength. The only thing Dru had going for him was his savvy, and Rolo's offense. No other D1 program gave him a shot (for good reason), the UH gave him a schollie because of our desperate QB situation, IMO. Dru went to a OSU program that barely made a bowl game (6-6), and sat on the bench. Also, OSU's WRs are not all 6'5" with 4.5 speed, what a joke. Hunter has shown how naive and immature he is. What a knucklehead.
I personally don't mind Hunter building Dru Brown up but not at Hawaii's expense. He made it sound like Hawaii's football program is second to a Oklahoma State after he was given a scholarship to play at Hawaii. Every program has its plus and minuses and he should have been watching what three quarterbacks at Hawaii were able to do with four capable receivers including three that were shorter than 6'. One that I really thought was one of the better receivers was JoJo Ward who could make these great catches inside the lines. Hunter served a mission in Taiwan, Nepal, Kenya and Sudan and was 25 years old. I listen to John Ursua who served a two year mission and he knows exactly what to say, who to praise, how to deflect compliments and how not to offend anyone. Give me John over Hunter to represent Hawaii any day.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I'm glad to see Choi got the tackle that caused the fumble. Great way to cap things off.

Hunter Hughes - as a Sr, I'm sure there was some resentment with UH. He was a Chow guy that never got his chance. Coaching change, system change, etc, I can see why he is salty. QBs are studs with a big ego. Hunter Hughes has never gotten close to really smell the chance to start. We can say he was just not good enough, but I'm sure he would disagree.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

cabanalane wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:08 am I'm glad to see Choi got the tackle that caused the fumble. Great way to cap things off.

Hunter Hughes - as a Sr, I'm sure there was some resentment with UH. He was a Chow guy that never got his chance. Coaching change, system change, etc, I can see why he is salty. QBs are studs with a big ego. Hunter Hughes has never gotten close to really smell the chance to start. We can say he was just not good enough, but I'm sure he would disagree.
Yeah, I can see your point but he was a walk-on given a scholarship in his final year. It's like the scene in the movie Crusaders of the Lost Arc where the old knight tells the group to "choose wisely" when picking the chalice. To the coaches, I say, choose wisely.