shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: *****Official HI Bowl Game Thread: UH vs LaTech*****

Post by shrek2 »

My3Cats wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:03 pm 9 sacks. And our offensive coordinator had no answer regarding play calls to slow down the blitz. Real sad.
That's kinda sad for an OC that used to play offensive line.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

On the first Chevan sack by LaTech#45, Hawaii had the Shovel pass play set up nice, it was 3rd and 13, but the other DE for LaTech #95 had it read perfectly, the dude didn't bite. Chevan had to tuck and run, got sacked near our sideline.
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

stranger808 wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:25 am On the first Chevan sack by LaTech#45, Hawaii had the Shovel pass play set up nice, it was 3rd and 13, but the other DE for LaTech #95 had it read perfectly, the dude didn't bite. Chevan had to tuck and run, got sacked near our sideline.
Yah perhaps run the shovel on #45's (and his substitute #85) side because he's the one doing the pass rush would make more sense than on the side of the line where the DE is not pass rushing? Even with #45 switching between the left side and the right side the guy in the box upstairs can see that when he makes the calls.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

Neighbor wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:50 pm
EITSwarrior wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:51 pm
stranger808 wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:41 pm our play calling stunk. They're plays to call to help the O-linemen with that pass rush i.e. screens, draws, shovel pass, move the pocket (roll-outs) etc... IMO

the SDSU game was the best offensively called game of our season, IMO.
Colorado St and Navy games were the best games. Saw all facets of the offense working from the RNS to the RPO’s. And as I predicted, as soon as opponents got film of our offense, I knew it wouldn’t be as easy to move the ball and score. I just hoped Rollo and the coaches would adjust accordingly, but they didn’t.
I think the real answer is that Colorado State and Navy were garbage this year. I saw Niumatalolo fired all his defensive coaches
So was MY Cowboys! :roll: We got a jackass for a OC. Sadly Bohl won't fire him.

Sorry for hijacking the thread but still....

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

stranger808 wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:25 am On the first Chevan sack by LaTech#45, Hawaii had the Shovel pass play set up nice, it was 3rd and 13, but the other DE for LaTech #95 had it read perfectly, the dude didn't bite. Chevan had to tuck and run, got sacked near our sideline.
I re-watched this on DVR and there was a small window of opportunity for Chevan to release the ball to Furuta as #95's momentum was carrying him towards Cordeiro and away from Furuta, but Chevan didn't pull the trigger. Split second decision but it was open for a good gainer. #95 was not blocking the line of sight between Cordeiro and Furuta as Dayton had given #95 a shove to the right and outside of the play. Must have made Brian Smith gun shy because they never ran it again until Ito was in the game.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by stranger808 »

My3Cats wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:57 pm
I re-watched this on DVR and there was a small window of opportunity for Chevan to release the ball to Furuta as #95's momentum was carrying him towards Cordeiro and away from Furuta, but Chevan didn't pull the trigger. Split second decision but it was open for a good gainer. #95 was not blocking the line of sight between Cordeiro and Furuta as Dayton had given #95 a shove to the right and outside of the play. Must have made Brian Smith gun shy because they never ran it again until Ito was in the game.
I actually agree, but was giving Chevan the benefit of the doubt. I thought it was being "gun shy" myself, and hoping the camera angle was off. Screens, shovel pass, delayed draws (QB and RB) would have slowed the pass rush. If you noticed, when we passed on 1st down there was no pass rush, but the coaches seem to unwittingly play into the hands of the defense. IMO
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by stranger808 »

...quick passes to the outside for 4-5 yards was always there. The only thing that stopped that was dropped balls. Pure RnS is the way to go with the talent we have and recruit, IMO. RPO is for programs that are able to recruit big drive blockers, the P5 schools. We don't have that. Our QBs seem to get in rhythm when we're throwing from the RnS, the RPO bogs us down by placing our O in predictable 2nd and 8, 3rd and 7 situations. Dive, Dive, pass punt. This is just my opinion. I remember the BYU game when they stuffed us over and over. The only time we moved the ball was when our OC (or who ever) called 5 wide, and four-wide plays. We clicked and moved the chains, But then, then OC stopped calling what worked. lmao

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

SundayJam wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:32 pm At least we didn't have to play Army in their bowl. They destroyed #17 Houston 70 - 14. This kind of thing will happen in a bowl game. The team is talented but inexperienced.
Totally agree - bowl games are kind of crazy and are never a real indicator of anything, except for the teams in the playoffs who are actually playing for something. In 2016 MTSU was a better team but UH handled them. LaTech had their best player and we didn't. Sucks, but oh well...

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

poidog wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:04 pm
SundayJam wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:32 pm At least we didn't have to play Army in their bowl. They destroyed #17 Houston 70 - 14. This kind of thing will happen in a bowl game. The team is talented but inexperienced.
Totally agree - bowl games are kind of crazy and are never a real indicator of anything, except for the teams in the playoffs who are actually playing for something. In 2016 MTSU was a better team but UH handled them. LaTech had their best player and we didn't. Sucks, but oh well...
i'm not sure even John could have saved us, our line was horrible, I thought bringing in Chevan was good cause I thought he had better movement and could escape the pressure better then Cole, but I was wrong, I don't think anyone could have escaped that kind of pressure all night long.

Our team is young and will be more experienced next year, and will have 1 year experience in the R&S/RPO so hopefully they will be quicker, bigger, and stronger next year.

Also I thought we had the momentum after we got our first TD, but gave it away on those 3 stupid personal fouls before the half, if the O had kept their cool, I wonder if we could have kept that momentum?

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

ulua wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:48 am
i'm not sure even John could have saved us, our line was horrible, I thought bringing in Chevan was good cause I thought he had better movement and could escape the pressure better then Cole, but I was wrong, I don't think anyone could have escaped that kind of pressure all night long.

Our team is young and will be more experienced next year, and will have 1 year experience in the R&S/RPO so hopefully they will be quicker, bigger, and stronger next year.

Also I thought we had the momentum after we got our first TD, but gave it away on those 3 stupid personal fouls before the half, if the O had kept their cool, I wonder if we could have kept that momentum?
There has got to be psychologists/psychiatrists in-training at UH who could voluntarily work with the team on the mental aspect regarding keeping one's cool in the heat of the moment. Anybody out there in UH land?

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by stranger808 »

My3Cats wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:51 am

There has got to be psychologists/psychiatrists in-training at UH who could voluntarily work with the team on the mental aspect regarding keeping one's cool in the heat of the moment. Anybody out there in UH land?
At least half of those sacks were on the QB, RB and play-caller. Our QB held onto the ball way too long, the RBs missed or gave half okole blocking attempts and the play-caller (coach) for for calling plays that took time to develop, IN OBVIOUS PASSING SITUATIONS. IMO

Also, not sure what Cole was doing, but he threw multiple times downfield into double and triple coverage. What happened to his legs? Gotta make use of his 10.8 100 meter time. Sometimes the dude has to tuck and run when no one's open. LaTech's O opened up once their QB started running the ball.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

stranger808 wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:04 am
My3Cats wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:51 am

At least half of those sacks were on the QB, RB and play-caller. Our QB held onto the ball way too long, the RBs missed or gave half okole blocking attempts and the play-caller (coach) for for calling plays that took time to develop, IN OBVIOUS PASSING SITUATIONS. IMO

Also, not sure what Cole was doing, but he threw multiple times downfield into double and triple coverage. What happened to his legs? Gotta make use of his 10.8 100 meter time. Sometimes the dude has to tuck and run when no one's open. LaTech's O opened up once their QB started running the ball.
Good points stranger. But maybe too complicated for Brian Smith. He has yet to show any sense of making in-game adjustments.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by stranger808 »

Anyone know where I can watch the last Nick Rolovich Show? I been looking and searching, so far, no luck.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I'm glad they let Ito play.

I don't know his career stats, was that the first time?

When I first saw the hair, I thought it was "Baby" Choi. (I think Zeno Choi's brother play defense too, no? And is much bigger.).

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by stranger808 »

cabanalane wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:18 am I'm glad they let Ito play.

I don't know his career stats, was that the first time?

When I first saw the hair, I thought it was "Baby" Choi. (I think Zeno Choi's brother play defense too, no? And is much bigger.).
Zeno's brother is smaller, listed at 6' 200lbs LB. Unless there's another brother that I don't know about.