Coaching thought

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
CityOfWalrus
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Coaching thought

Post by CityOfWalrus »

I just got to thinking what do you think about the odds of Brian Smith getting fired and Timmy Chang getting the hire. He's done a great job with Nevada's WR/TEs but I think his expertise is in the RnS and not Air Raid. He would be an amazing pair with Coach Stutz and add more RnS knowledge to the playbook. I know Rolo would probably never fire his buddy but a random thought crossed my mind.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: Coaching thought

Post by cabanalane »

I do agree Chang will come back to Hawaii, one day. Not now, and not to replace Smith. I do think Rolo does have a loyality to "his guys," and Smith is one of them.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Rolo is to loyal to his former roommate and center, perhaps to a fault. Smith needs to stick to OL stuff and not running game.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

Irse
MLB: Cubs

Post by Irse »

cabanalane wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:59 am I do agree Chang will come back to Hawaii, one day. Not now, and not to replace Smith. I do think Rolo does have a loyality to "his guys," and Smith is one of them.
Yeah, that will never happen.
ImageImage

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Irse wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:15 pm
cabanalane wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:59 am I do agree Chang will come back to Hawaii, one day. Not now, and not to replace Smith. I do think Rolo does have a loyality to "his guys," and Smith is one of them.
Which part? Chang returning to Hawaii one day?

Irse
MLB: Cubs

Post by Irse »

cabanalane wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:44 pm
Irse wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:15 pm
Which part? Chang returning to Hawaii one day?
Smith leaving.
ImageImage

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

all his friends should be replaced or reassigned,
But on the flip side if he did fire his friends the new coaches could be worse not sure if we can attract good coaches

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

we don't pay enough to attract experienced assistant coaches and even if we get some they won't be here long. An assistant coaches ambition is to one day become a head coach. You do that by building experience and a network of other coached and recruiting.. The cost of living in Hawaii, the pay and the distance from family, friends, recruits, the media and other coaches are a negative.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

I think Rolo is on the right path with his selection of Assistant Coaches. With the adjustments he made last season, he provided us with a winning season this year and bowl eligibility. Small baby steps forward, with a young rebuilding team.

He may be surrounding himself with Assistants that are his close friends, but they, like Rolovich, bleed green and will not likely be seduced by higher paying job offers from the mainland. Many of his Assistants have returned home for good. It's a great way to build stability and consistency.

Now they just need to have consistent recruiting success, year after year, with keeping the best players that want to play at home for the home team, as well as recruiting the best players that want to come and play for Hawaii.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:36 pm I think Rolo is on the right path with his selection of Assistant Coaches. With the adjustments he made last season, he provided us with a winning season this year and bowl eligibility. Small baby steps forward, with a young rebuilding team.

He may be surrounding himself with Assistants that are his close friends, but they, like Rolovich, bleed green and will not likely be seduced by higher paying job offers from the mainland. Many of his Assistants have returned home for good. It's a great way to build stability and consistency.

Now they just need to have consistent recruiting success, year after year, with keeping the best players that want to play at home for the home team, as well as recruiting the best players that want to come and play for Hawaii.
You're really on point. Unlike last year's staff, this year's staff is so much more experienced and works well together. Almost every coach has strong ties here having either played here (Rolo, Smith, Stutzman, Eliminian), is from Hawaii (Batoon, Yoro), coached here previously and has a strong affinity for Hawaii (Banker) or has family here (Logo). Only Weber (Pat Hill recommendation), Ghobrial (Ulbrich recommendation) and Allen (coached and coached with Rolo at CCSF) don't fit into those categories.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

uhwarriors wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:59 pm
wailukuwarriorfan wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:36 pm I think Rolo is on the right path with his selection of Assistant Coaches. With the adjustments he made last season, he provided us with a winning season this year and bowl eligibility. Small baby steps forward, with a young rebuilding team.

You're really on point. Unlike last year's staff, this year's staff is so much more experienced and works well together. Almost every coach has strong ties here having either played here (Rolo, Smith, Stutzman, Eliminian), is from Hawaii (Batoon, Yoro), coached here previously and has a strong affinity for Hawaii (Banker) or has family here (Logo). Only Weber (Pat Hill recommendation), Ghobrial (Ulbrich recommendation) and Allen (coached and coached with Rolo at CCSF) don't fit into those categories.
Totally agree. This isn't a Norm Chow situation where "he needs time to recruit" means that we gotta suffer through multiple 2-win and 3-win seasons until we get there. I'll take a 7-win "rebuilding season" with a young roster any day over what we had a few years ago. People just have a hard time dealing with winning early and losing late. If they lost their first bunch of games and won the last bunch everyone would be celebrating the turnaround. Truth is, we still have a shot at being a 9-win team. Think about that. People are criticizing the coaching staff that has put a team full of underclassmen in position to possibly win 9 games.

We almost went winless only a few years ago.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

poidog wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:21 am
uhwarriors wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:59 pm

Totally agree. This isn't a Norm Chow situation where "he needs time to recruit" means that we gotta suffer through multiple 2-win and 3-win seasons until we get there. I'll take a 7-win "rebuilding season" with a young roster any day over what we had a few years ago. People just have a hard time dealing with winning early and losing late. If they lost their first bunch of games and won the last bunch everyone would be celebrating the turnaround. Truth is, we still have a shot at being a 9-win team. Think about that. People are criticizing the coaching staff that has put a team full of underclassmen in position to possibly win 9 games.

We almost went winless only a few years ago.
Who would have thought that before the season started? We're 8 and 5 now, guaranteeing the first winning season since 2010. And we got a shot a 9th win in the bowl game.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

9th win would be freaking huge.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1: