Post UNLV Game Thoughts?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post UNLV Game Thoughts?

Post by WarriorTyme »

Last night we witnessed something magical at Halawa and it was Chevan Corderio moxie. In the Wyoming game Chevan led the Offense on a game winning long ball to WR JoJo Ward for a come back win. And last night he did it again but this time he air assaulted UNLV with accurate passes to JoJo Ward, John Ursua and Cedric Byrd. We mostly acknowledge John Ursua and Cedric Byrd as the goto WR's. But Jojo Ward reminded us why he is a member of the Hawaii "Big 3 of WRs".

I mean the defense played inspired during the 4th quarter comeback, give Rojesterman Farris, Eugene Ford, Kalen Hicks, Ikem Okeke, Samiuela Akoteu Kendall Hune, Penei Pavihi, Solomon Mautautia, Blessman Ta'ala, Manu Hudson-Rasmussen just to name a few. 4th down run stops, not getting man handled on the line and the secondary not giving up big plays! The 4th quarter showed what this defense can do with an offense that is scoring touch downs at will. The special teams played huge in the 4th quarter comeback as well. The winning moxie and belief is contagious.

Where was this defense during Hawaii's losing streak?

The bye-week helped, 11 straight games took a toll on the team.

McDonald has to increase his accuracy, Chevan and Moussa throw accurate passes that give the WR's a chance to make a play for the ball. I think the other difference is since Chevan familiarity with the RnS and Moussa is a pro style QB they both can read and decipher faster than McDonald. I think teams have figured out Cole McDonald tendencies and this is adding to his struggles.

I say start McDonald for the first half of SDSU game and put in Moussa for the second half. Save Chevan Redshirt for possible playing time in the Hawaii Bowl. I think Moussa and Chevan are better suited for the RnS pass happy Offense and they both have what it takes to run the RPO as well. Of course, I wouldn't mind seeing Moussa start the SDSU game so we can what this young Warrior can do for an entire game. Just like when Chevan played the entire Wyoming game.

It's been a little while since we seen some "Halawa Magic" like we witnessed last night!

Live Aloha/Play Warrior

Go Warriors of Hawaii

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: Post UNLV Game Thoughts?

Post by shrek2 »

Chevan Cordeiro for governor?

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

Every game is important to the team and fans, but Hawaii has secured the Hawaii Bowl invite already. So playing Chevan in the SDSU game in California in a game that doesn’t have a much meaning as the huge win last night, just doesn’t make since. Save Chevan valuable redshirt and play him at home in the Hawaii Bowl in front of his family and give him the chance to play in 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 (If he doesn’t leave for the NFL draft in 2022). Chevan has caught-up to McDonald by proving that he is a game changer/playmaker both with his arm and feet.

McDonald has taken a beating this season and the Army game showed that if you drop 8 in coverage that is his Kryptonite. Last night was no exception with 2ints, 0 passing TD’s and the O-line was giving Cole plenty of time to read, throw or run. He hasn’t progressed and some of that is lacking passing accuracy that is required in the RnS.

I don’t think we as fans are overreacting but if the defense drops 8 in coverage and gives Chevan the same amount of time to read, throw and run. He has the accuracy and moxie to move the chains or better.

I still want to see what Moussa has to bring the table? Thats why I say start Moussa for the SDSU and give him some badly needed live game reps.

McDonald, Moussa and Chevan are the future of Hawaii Football at QB. And we are lucky to have all 3 of them. But it would be unwise to burn Chevan or Moussa Redshirt at this point of the season.

Hawaii Bowl bound, baby!!!

Go Warriors of Hawaii

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

THE BUMMERS:

1) Brian Smith still needs to go.

2) Why do UH kick returners still try to run back kicks? Unless the returners really have big play potential, taking the ball at the 25 is better than about 95% of their returns so far this season. Not impressed at all.

3) Why doesn't Ghobrial have the kicker kick the ball deep into and/or out of the end zone? That last kick-off was short kicked to the 10, but was not especially high, which could have been a disaster on their return.

4) Really? Still running the ball up the middle? Is Alex Green returning to the team with eligibility to make this thing work?

5) Wide receiver screen/jail break screen/bubble screen = time to trash this play. Has not worked all season long.

THE CHEEHOOS:

1) Chevan Chevan Chevan!

2) JoJo's got some hands and feet!

3) Pavihi is the defensive future!

4) Why did the defensive staff wait so long to put Bethley into the game?

5) Alohas and Mahalos to the SENIORS!!!!! Thanks for being Warriors!
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

My3Cats wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:21 pm THE CHEEHOOS:

1) Chevan Chevan Chevan!

My guess is they wanted to redshirt as many freshmen as possible. He's better than Nick Nelson at this point because Nick Nelson wouldn't wrap his arms around the ball carrier. Bethley is not afraid of tacking and will not just put his shoulder in the tackle.
Last edited by shrek2 on Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I srs think something is wrong with the Team. Win is a win, but something is wrong. For 3/4 of the game, I was afraid for Rolo's job. It wasn't they were lossing, it was something is wrong and the by-week did not resolve it. I think the team played like they "hate each other." That is on the HC.

Chevan was awesome. He will have a great future. I like to see him compete for the job next year. We all saw what he can do.

IMO, I still believe McDonald is the better QB. And should finish out the rest of the season as the no-doubt Starter. Chevan has proven to be the spark, the miracle worker. I just have not seen or am impress with his offense, clock management, and moving the ball. Every play can not be a 40 -60 yard pass. Or can and should it. McDonald looks(ed) like a Senior QB. Chevan still looks like a 18 year old kid. Then we talk about the red shirt thing. He can only appear in one more game. I guess we can reserve the QB discussions for next year.

Rolo and staff need to fix McDonald, WRs, O-Line, and the Defense. The problems are still there. Maybe it's in the head, because UH is and has proven (in their games) that they are a good team. They can do it.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Cole is shell-shocked. If you look at certain RPO plays, the D is grabbing the RB has he's handing the ball to the RB...WTH? Also, on most runs he runs up the assigned gap. Ever heard of bouncing it? Plus, less big guys on the perimeter. I am not blaming him as he's been nailed a bunch this yr.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

"JoJo's got some hands and feet!"

I agree, he is one of the few players that we have that makes plays under pressure. The plays that he have made are without separation, takes concentration, an attitude and desire. Anyone can catch balls in space.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

UNLV wasn't a great test for him, but I so much prefer Manu Hudson-Rasmussen playing corner vs playing nickel. I liked the changes they made on defense, overall, and I think a lot of what they put in for UNLV can be used against SDSU.

I think Cole needs time to recover and regroup. I think if they shelve him now he'll benefit from the long break between now and the bowl game.

couz808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by couz808 »

What’s good about the QB situation is that San Diego state has to prepare for both QBs.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

couz808 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:34 pm What’s good about the QB situation is that San Diego state has to prepare for both QBs.
All they have to do is prepare for our same o same o offense.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

My analysts on Cole McDonald so far this season.

While all 3 Hawaii QB’s have some weakness to their game, everybody and their grandma knows that since the Army game Cole McDonald has a difficult time when the defense has a variation when drops 8 in coverage. Cole has superior in-line track speed with incredible toughness. But he is not a shifty quick fluid hip runner that will juke you out of your shoes. That is why when is in the pocket he has a hard time escaping those rushers. Watch Tua Tagovailoa or Chevan Corderio shiftiness in the pocket.

Cole reminds me of Colin Capernick more than Derrick Carr or Colt Brennan. Great in-line speed and great velocity on his throws but lacks accuracy. Against better defenses he consistently misses the inside slant which is the easiest throw next the shovel pass or the quick pitch to a speed option WR. Cole would be great in read option offense that Cam Newton/Tim Tebow made popular.

Either Rolo, Brian Smith and Stutz need to call plays that are better suited for Cole McDonald strengths. Or Cole needs to work on quicker reads, his accuracy and getting his hips loose to shake and bake on coming rushers and the Linebacker that is spying on all Hawaii QB’s on defense.

Something got to change: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Kinda like Chow Ball offense during the dismal Ben Jay era, Run, Run, Pass, Punt

Live Aloha/Play Warrior

Go Warriors of Hawaii

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

RedZone wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:30 pm
couz808 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:34 pm What’s good about the QB situation is that San Diego state has to prepare for both QBs.
All they have to do is prepare for our same o same o offense.
I agree.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:29 pm
My3Cats wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:21 pm THE CHEEHOOS:

1) Chevan Chevan Chevan!

My guess is they wanted to redshirt as many freshmen as possible. He's better than Nick Nelson at this point because Nick Nelson wouldn't wrap his arms around the ball carrier. Bethley is not afraid of tacking and will not just put his shoulder in the tackle.
BTW, Bethley is not on the depth chart for this week in the UH program guide.