WR Melquise Stovall Signs LOI

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Cal 4* WR recruit coming to UH

Post by RedZone »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:52 am
cabanalane wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:27 am For the sake of discussion, I'll take the other side. Byrd and Ward have not been exactly as "advertised." We know what we are going to get with Ursua. And he delivered.

These are JC guys, they suppose to be plug and play. New system, etc, etc. It's new for everyone. If Ursua can be productive, so can they. I thought they were suppose to be better than Ursua.

I don't mean they are bad. They got good hands, good speed, made a few great catches, etc, etc. But I think the "hype" was larger than the current results. I'm still waiting to see these two guys to have the breakout season. I thought the way they were brought in, they would make a big difference. Perhaps next year.

While I'm at it, same with Bam Bam Reed.
Ward had all of 6 weeks to learn O and teammates, so I'd say he's done a "good" job and Byrd has made some great plays as well. Coming out of a JC and starting, especially as a WR in a new O with new starting QB is a challenge. If issues persist next year then that would be a problem. Also, they are better than the guys they replaced.
Agree. You know there would be problems with a lot of new players. They have the skills. Some things like qb connections need to be worked on in the off season. I have seen the good things they have done. We just need more.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

While I wish the best for Ursua, I’m also hoping he returns. That would be some Receiving crew.
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Grinch wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:42 pm While I wish the best for Ursua, I’m also hoping he returns. That would be some Receiving crew.
It's kind of like Colt in his Jr year. If Ursua comes back for his last year, he would be that much more awesome. It's like why just sit on some team's roster when he can be picked higher.

I doubt football will be his only mission in life, so I think he will do well, no matter what. So there is "no rush" to turn pro because the family needs money to move out of the hood.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Thinking about the Utah game, srs, UH need to recruit some basketball players. R&S does not need TE. But these guys can make a difference in terms of catching the ball. Just re-tag them as WR instead of TE. That tall guy plays defense, but you get what I'm saying. You can't coach size and height. Imagine 6'7 guy that can jump high and run. He does not need to blaze down for the 70 yard pass. But in 5-15 yard situations, these guys can deliver.

I'll go far to say, all (U.S.) football players play basketball, and all basketball player once play football. Think outside the box UH. If we are trying to convert rugby and soccer players, why not convert basketball players to football.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

cabanalane wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:18 am Thinking about the Utah game, srs, UH need to recruit some basketball players. R&S does not need TE. But these guys can make a difference in terms of catching the ball. Just re-tag them as WR instead of TE. That tall guy plays defense, but you get what I'm saying. You can't coach size and height. Imagine 6'7 guy that can jump high and run. He does not need to blaze down for the 70 yard pass. But in 5-15 yard situations, these guys can deliver.

I'll go far to say, all (U.S.) football players play basketball, and all basketball player once play football. Think outside the box UH. If we are trying to convert rugby and soccer players, why not convert basketball players to football.
June Jones used to do that when he was at UH. Tony Akpan 6'8" and Ikaika Alama-Francis, 6'6", both played on the DLine.
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Ursula is a great D1 receiver. NFL? He will get his shot. Odds are not good. Drops an issue. If he can’t beat a D1 back press, no chance against an NFL CB who will be bigger and just as fast.

I like this recruit. He is a former running back with good size and he can catch. Get him in some space and he can be potent.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

What I like about Stovall is that he plays bigger then 5'9 185 lbs. As a freshman against Pac 12 DBs he got good separation, he played with confidence and he was aggressive.

tom-WarriorNation
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by tom-WarriorNation »

Great news; keep them coming!
WE BELIEVE! GO WARRIORS! Let us grow this Warrior Nation.

uhwarriors

Re: WR Melquise Stovall Signs LOI

Post by uhwarriors »

https://twitter.com/HawaiiFootball/status/1075460783067332608

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Rolo said he wanted more speed. Now we just got work on getting them the coconut.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Learning the R&S is not easy. There are many talented receivers that can't pick it up. You have to have a smart receiver. If yo look back at the history of the R&S it takes two years for a JC receiver to pick it up. Both Ward and Byrd have done a great job picking it up. Ward to me has been the big surprise......he makes plays. Ursua is a good D1 player. His production did decline the last few games once the teams deployed an 8 man zone. Ursua isn't big enough to take the NFL punishment from bigger and faster DBs. As also mentioned too many drops.