All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Re: *** 2018 Guess the Score: UH vs UNLV ***

Post by stranger808 »

uhwarriors wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:11 am
stranger808 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:26 pm
uhwarriors wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:18 pm
The RNS and RPO plays are run out of the same 4 wide gun formation. The RPO plays also have RNS routes built in.
Yes, its run out of the same formation, but It's 2 different offenses AND philosophy. In short, the Shotgun RPO is a run first mentality whereas the RnS's (Four Wide) a pass first mentality.
I will write a much more detailed post about the offense later, probably after the season. Here's a very short discussion. The JJ and 2010-11 Rolo RNS has about 4 base running plays (zone, zone read, Tampa and draw). Any mesh/handoff action was a 98% probability of a run giving the defense a significant key. The 2018 RNS created a RPO version of 2 or 3 of those same running plays. Now the defense doesn't have the key because the QB can pull it and throw. It's the same play call with the possibility of throwing. The RPO pass routes also have RNS route adjustments built it which makes it even harder for the defense.
The Shotgun RPO has been around before 2018, and I hope you're insinuating that Rolo invented the Shotgun RPO.

I forgot to ask. In a 1 high look, who does Rolo's QB key on? That will help explain to me where you're coming from.
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

uhwarriors

Re: *** 2018 Guess the Score: UH vs UNLV ***

Post by uhwarriors »

stranger808 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:48 pm
uhwarriors wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:11 am
stranger808 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:26 pm

Yes, its run out of the same formation, but It's 2 different offenses AND philosophy. In short, the Shotgun RPO is a run first mentality whereas the RnS's (Four Wide) a pass first mentality.
I will write a much more detailed post about the offense later, probably after the season. Here's a very short discussion. The JJ and 2010-11 Rolo RNS has about 4 base running plays (zone, zone read, Tampa and draw). Any mesh/handoff action was a 98% probability of a run giving the defense a significant key. The 2018 RNS created a RPO version of 2 or 3 of those same running plays. Now the defense doesn't have the key because the QB can pull it and throw. It's the same play call with the possibility of throwing. The RPO pass routes also have RNS route adjustments built it which makes it even harder for the defense.
The Shotgun RPO has been around before 2018, and I hope you're insinuating that Rolo invented the Shotgun RPO.

I forgot to ask. In a 1 high look, who does Rolo's QB key on? That will help explain to me where you're coming from.
I’m definitely not saying the shotgun RPO is a new invention. The point I was trying to make is that the RNS always had running plays. They’ve just converted some of those running plays into RPO plays which provides a way of protecting the run with a pass option.

I’m not sure whether your question about a 1 high coverage is in regard to a RNS play or RPO play. In either it’s only telling the QB it’s man coverage with a free safety on top or Cover 1. After that it depends on the play call. If it’s an RPO play, the read is generally a linebacker, but can be a safety or nickel supporting the box. If that defender drops back, then it’s a run. If he steps up to fill, then it’s a pass.

With the RNS there are multiple keys that the QB and WRs look at pre-snap and post snap. The keys are determined by the play call. Pre-snap they may identify the coverage as cover 1 but all that tells the QB and receivers is that it looks like Cover 1. It might not be. They also have other keys such as whether the defenders are pressing, loose but head on or have outside or inside leverage. All of those keys will give a hint as to what the coverage will be and which routes to run. After the snap, the QB and WRs need to see if their pre-snap reads were correct or if the defense was disguising their coverage. The routes the WRs are supposed to run will be based on the actual coverage not the pre-snap read.