Should Hawaii focus on recruiting JC players and transfers?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Should Hawaii focus on recruiting JC players and transfers?

Post by WarriorTyme »

Us as the Hawaii fan base has got to rethink recruiting. We gripe about Transfers, Junior College or Walk-ons and want High School recruits instead, it might not matter. Hawaii has to bring in qualified athletic studs no matter how or where they can bring them in to play as Warriors for Hawaii and their families.

Over the years the majority of freshman recruits on many teams end up as a redshirt or gray shirt and don't really get to play until their Junior or Senior year... some spent 4-5 years and don't get into the rotation. If there is a coaching change those high school players that spent years working/grinding end up transferring or not breaking into the new coaches rotation.

Hawaii is not Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Florida State, Texas, USC, LSU, Georgia and that can land a roster full 5 star high school recruits, get 5-Star Junior College recruits every year and have transfers/walk-ons that out perform those 5 star recruits every year.

But this 2018 roster is young and thin due to injuries and the mass exodus due to players leaving or transferring out of Hawaii this past spring and summer. Hawaii has some JC players starting or in the rotation, Cedric Byrd, Jo Jo Ward, Derick Thomas, Kohl Levao just to name a few.

I think Hawaii might have to not just target High School recruits but target the best player available no matter if its JC, Transfer, Walk-on or some other route.

I understand that next season in 2019 Hawaii returns 18 starters and yes I believe John Ursua is not NFL ready yet? He reminds me of Kealoha Pilares and look what happened when Pilares trained his okole off and returned had an outstanding senior year and then on the NFL.

But even with 18 returning starters in 2019, Hawaii depth chart needs help going forward.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Re: Should Hawaii focus on recruiting JC players and transfers?

Post by stranger808 »

WarriorTyme wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:21 am Us as the Hawaii fan base has got to rethink recruiting. We gripe about Transfers, Junior College or Walk-ons and want High School recruits instead, it might not matter. Hawaii has to bring in qualified athletic studs no matter how or where they can bring them in to play as Warriors for Hawaii and their families.

Over the years the majority of freshman recruits on many teams end up as a redshirt or gray shirt and don't really get to play until their Junior or Senior year... some spent 4-5 years and don't get into the rotation. If there is a coaching change those high school players that spent years working/grinding end up transferring or not breaking into the new coaches rotation.

Hawaii is not Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Florida State, Texas, USC, LSU, Georgia and that can land a roster full 5 star high school recruits, get 5-Star Junior College recruits every year and have transfers/walk-ons that out perform those 5 star recruits every year.

But this 2018 roster is young and thin due to injuries and the mass exodus due to players leaving or transferring out of Hawaii this past spring and summer. Hawaii has some JC players starting or in the rotation, Cedric Byrd, Jo Jo Ward, Derick Thomas, Kohl Levao just to name a few.

I think Hawaii might have to not just target High School recruits but target the best player available no matter if its JC, Transfer, Walk-on or some other route.

I understand that next season in 2019 Hawaii returns 18 starters and yes I believe John Ursua is not NFL ready yet? He reminds me of Kealoha Pilares and look what happened when Pilares trained his okole off and returned had an outstanding senior year and then on the NFL.

But even with 18 returning starters in 2019, Hawaii depth chart needs help going forward.
Ursua's coming off of an ACL tear. If Ursua comes back next season and gets injured he won't get drafted. Barring injury, I believe he will enter the NFL draft after this season. Ursua is also older than Pilares, much different situation. Before coming to UH Ursua served a 2 year church mission. I could be wrong, but he may already be 24-25. By the time the draft rolls around after his senior season, he'll be around 25-26, in the year 2020. Ursua graduated HS in 2012.
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

WarriorTyme wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:21 am Us as the Hawaii fan base has got to rethink recruiting.
We have to rethink recruiting...or do we?
Perhaps we could become Alabama?

This is the most ridiculous thread of all time. Shame on you.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

I think it doesn't matter whether its high school or JC, I think we just need kids that love the game. I think we may be split down the middle with recruits from high school and JC for next year's starters.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

stranger808 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:13 am
WarriorTyme wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:21 am Us as the Hawaii fan base has got to rethink recruiting. We gripe about Transfers, Junior College or Walk-ons and want High School recruits instead, it might not matter. Hawaii has to bring in qualified athletic studs no matter how or where they can bring them in to play as Warriors for Hawaii and their families.

Ursua's coming off of an ACL tear. If Ursua comes back next season and gets injured he won't get drafted. Barring injury, I believe he will enter the NFL draft after this season. Ursua is also older than Pilares, much different situation. Before coming to UH Ursua served a 2 year church mission. I could be wrong, but he may already be 24-25. By the time the draft rolls around after his senior season, he'll be around 25-26, in the year 2020. Ursua graduated HS in 2012.
I don't think he gets drafted this year anyways. He drops too many balls. dropped three this last game and one resulted in an interception. Plus he doesn't return kicks or punts.
ImageImage

Irse

Post by Irse »

We need guys with some speed on both sides of the ball and guys who can tackle on D.
ImageImage

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I'm not ready to think about next year yet..

But I see nothing wrong with JC, transfers, walk-ons, and HS.
Did UH care about Bryant Moniz out of HS? He had to go the mainland to prove himself and mature as a player. UH was big on Kala Timoteo out of HS, but he didn't fan out. No one said he didn't have the talent. But got to study too.

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

SundayJam wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:27 am
WarriorTyme wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:21 am Us as the Hawaii fan base has got to rethink recruiting.
We have to rethink recruiting...or do we?
Perhaps we could become Alabama?

This is the most ridiculous thread of all time. Shame on you.

I 'm looking at what has been historically has been said by Hawaii fans over the years that Hawaii coaches should recruit High School and not JC to build a program. That philosophy mirrors what programs like Alabama, Texas, USC, Clemson can do, MWC teams have to recruit JC and Transfers like a Colt Brennan, Bryant Moniz to build depth. A lot of Hawaii best teams had great JC, transfers and Walk-ons. And the entire Hawaii defense needs some JC help pronto, especially on the D-line, O-line and DB depth chart.

Thank you for cherry picking a quote but not including the entire post in your response. Please break down each point in my post that you disagree with, don't try to shame or claim any post ridiculous until you can use your words?

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

WarriorTyme wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:12 am And the entire Hawaii defense needs some JC help pronto, especially on the D-line, O-line and DB depth chart.
I like this statement. Quickest way to plug and play.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Not focus on only JC players, which is considered to be a quick fix, but not long-term solutions. A good mix of high school, JC and senior transfers is preferable. Transfers who have to redshirt can be a waste of a scholarship, especially if they don't pan out because of the missing year on the field but taking up a scholarship that could go to someone who can contribute right away.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Just recruit the best athletes that you can get. If you can’t mold them into players then you should not be coaching.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I don't know if Rolo have time left to "mold them." We wish UH would just win the next 1 of 2. What if it's 0-2? Not bad, if we compare to the Chow era. But I think we all can agree that it fall well short of expectation, and especially how well the team started in the beginning of the season. Next year is the last year of his contract.

Fan are willing to accept a 6-7 season if the wins and losses were "well mixed". Coming from a 6-1 record at one point, and skid the rest of the way leave a different taste on how the season will be viewed.

Perhaps that was the problem, the tough teams are loaded in the back of the season. We can't change expectations, after what we saw.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

WarriorTyme wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:12 am Thank you for cherry picking a quote but not including the entire post in your response. Please break down each point in my post that you disagree with, don't try to shame or claim any post ridiculous until you can use your words?
Okay...1/2 of the signed recruiting class of 2018 was JC. Should it have been 100%? The terms ridiculous and shame are hereby retracted. Everyone should be able to post without ridicule. I just think our defense has been unnecessarily vilified. There is a lot about Hawaii's game both defensively and offensively that I like. New coaching system and true freshmen...spell trouble. Idk.

https://hawaiiathletics.com/news/2018/2 ... class.aspx

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Wow, that's a lot of beef on the line. 6'7", 6'8". Howcome they are not playing?

Irse

Post by Irse »

cabanalane wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:23 am Wow, that's a lot of beef on the line. 6'7", 6'8". Howcome they are not playing?
Maybe because the 6'7" guy isn't here yet and the 6'8" one isn't good enough.
ImageImage