Should Hawaii focus on recruiting JC players and transfers?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Should Hawaii focus on recruiting JC players and transfers?

Post by TheDuke »

I don't care if they are JC or HS as long as they can play. All things being equal I would go the HS route.

There are many very talented HS and JC players that would come to UH that end up going else where because they cannot meet UH's academic requirements. They can meet NCAA requirements and admission requirements for most of the top programs throughout the country, including Alabama, USC, Utah, LSU, Oregon, Washington, Fresno, USU, SDSU and yes Oregon State. I don't include Boise in that mix because their academic requirements to get into school is actually less then the NCAA requirements. You can get entrance to Boise. You can't play and count that year as a redshirt year and play the next year if you are in good academic standings. I you flunk out Boise hasn't lost anything.

UH is handicapped due to higher admission standards, a higher cost of living and distance from family, friends and girl friends.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Good points, I didn't know that. I would actually agree that UH does hold such "high" standards and not lower them because of the super ace player.

They get tutors that the rest of the student population don't get. I needed help when I was at UH, there was no help. But they get the tutoring, and that's a good thing. Not trying to sound jealous, just stating a fact.

Yes, so they should atleast take advantage of that. This is a football forum, but we need to circle back that they are student athletes. With the word "student" first.

Timoteo is off the team due to academics. Kennedy Tulimasealii (IIRC) technically left UH because of academics. I mean, if he stayed in school, got good grades, there may be a 0.01% chance he could be back with the team, by appealing, etc. But the fact he can't make it academicially, makes him playing for UH a moot point.

Chow always preach "life skills" to his players. There is more to life than football.
Last edited by cabanalane on Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

USC and many other schools have very high academic standards. If you look at admissions they also have exceptions for special skills, I am sure athletics fall into that category as well as drama, arts and other specialty areas. Once you get them into school then the resources, time management, mentoring to help them be successful can be applied. At UH there is no exception and Algebra II requirement is much more difficult then say geometry. All of these other schools accept 2 years of higher math. UH requires Algebra II. Thus we lose a lot of local players and talented players from the mainland who cannot qualify for admissions to UH but can qualify for other schools. If you want to compete at a high level you need talent. We are not on a level playing field as far as recruiting goes. Decades ago we had an exception "English as a Second Language". We had lots of talented local kids who I will not name who got a chance at a higher education and went on to play in the NFL. We don't get them any more.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Didn't know what, what you can learn on a football forum.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

I miss Miano's walk-on program. Lots of good local kids transferring back home from JC in those days too. Guys like Chad Kalilimoku transfer in and ready to start on defense from day 1. We need that next year to get us over the hump.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Next year whether its from JC or high school, they need a couple of defensive tackles that can push up the middle, they need a couple of wide receivers with a little bit of height, ie, 6'2 or better, a couple of linebackers with length and speed to cover the sweeps and screens as well as the holes up the middle, they need backup with speed in the secondary (hopefully high school) that can keep up with the deep coverage man to man. It will almost be an entirely Rolo team next year. I think, regardless of how the season has turned out in the second half, Ursua will try the draft and possibly be invited to the combine with Tavai.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

The R&S is predicated on receivers who can beat press coverage. They either need receivers that are taller or more physical. A couple of 6-6’3 receivers that can jump creates a bigger passing window.......1 they have 4 inches in height on a 5’8 receiver.......2 arm length should add a few more inches .......3 they should be able to jump higher......that should add a foot plus or minus to the target area. This helps when throwing over linebackers. This helps when throwing slants against smaller DBs. This helps with breaking tackles for YAC. With the current game plans good press coverage on our smaller receivers and dropping eight negates speed and quickness.

With our current group of receivers they need space to beat the press. I don’t know how effective Ward, Ursula and Byrd are in getting separation consistently against press coverage. We need for motion to create space and a running start to move the D around, create some mismatches and beat press coverage.

A speed back that can catch out of the backfield and beat linebackers out of the backfield would be very effective. I don’t know how good our current RBs are at catching and running routes. I’d like to see Aufaga in that role. He is a strong, shifty runner. All of the top teams in the country including the MWC use their backs for good chunks of yardage on pass plays. ISO speed backs on LBs. a dual threat RB that can run and catch would do wonders.

We also need rush ends that can create pressure and play the run. Currently we have rush ends that can’t play the run and ends that can play the run and can’t get pressure. As an OC it is easy to see by who is on the field and adjust the play calling on the field.

That would be my priorities.

After that a couple more DTs would help and a good coverage DB.

We can’t fix the D overnight. We can beat 8 deep with the right personnel on O.

Game planning and play calling continues to be a problem. We can’t get quality assistants and when we do we can’t keep them. We won’t pay enough. Cost of living is high. Too far from family. Other programs have greener pastures,

Just a personal opinion..........we are being ou coached.