Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post Utah State game thoughts?

Post by stranger808 »

I'll go positive as much as I can. I've said enough on the game day thread and others, no one wants to hear it again. :o

1) We're a young team. Starting a new QB in a new system. We have 2 freshman starting on Oline, and one on DLine. Last count, 18 starters returning next season, 9 on O and 9 on D. Make that 17, barring injury, I think Ursua will enter the draft. Our Oline has only JR Hensly as a returning starter. The only players we lose that started todays game next season on O is WR Marcus Armstrong-Brown. On D, Zeno Choi (and Tavai, but he didn't start the USU game). We're very young. We will get much better.

2) I predicted a 3-10 season before it started. We're 6-5. Still in the hunt for bowling.

3) Rolo and company will have another recruiting class to bring in to address our depth, and pick-up a couple ready to play JC D-Linemen. Rolo proved to me he could coach up a team when he took a Chow team to a bowl game in his first year. Now, he has to prove he can recruit and coach up his own recruited players. I have faith in Rolo.

4) Our Warrior uniforms are still the bomb, they looking sharp! Love the helmets and the islands on the helmets.

5) I love Rolo's charisma, its hard not to like the person/coach. Rolo hustles, always trying to drum up support for the team, even in the off-season.

Okay, that's all I can come up with for now.
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post Utah State Game Thoughts?

Post by WarriorTyme »

The secondary was Utah State weakness, Hawaii receivers were getting open often. Just to many drop passes, miscommunication and some errand throws.

While Utah State secondary was suspect and rest of the team was dominate over Hawaii young roster. Furuta has to playing with injuries because he has lost a step the past few games.

Fresno State, BYU and Utah State are team that are loaded with Junior and Senior leadership experience. So it’s no surprised Hawaii struggled mightily. SDSU is another team that Hawaii might have struggles with at the end of the regular season on the road at San Diego.

Nevada was a winnable game but coaching lost that game early.

After playing 11 straight games, Hawaii needs this BYE week to rest up, focus and prepare for UNLV.

Coaches and the Young Warriors of Hawaii take advantage of the BYE week and then show no mercy and go all out like there is no tomorrow against UNLV. Take back that swag and clinch the Hawaii Bowl birth on 17 November at Aloha Stadium.

Live Aloha/Play Warrior

Go Warriors of Hawaii

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: Post Utah State Game Thoughts?

Post by st808 »

utah state showed why it is a nationally ranked team. mw conference is growing stronger. boise state stumbled, but utah state, fresno state and san diego state are doing well at representing the conference while earning respect.

unlv is the last real chance the warriors have at seven wins and a hawaii bowl invitation. the away game at san diego state will be tough.

18 warrior starters return next year. that's got to be encouraging.

last night, seeing david matlin leaning on a walkway railing, staring at the sparsely attending audience in an obsolete venue i was reminded that the state needs to commit more funds to the u.h. sports programs especially football. build an on campus 35K stadium and people will fill it as the ambiance will be more college experience like the stan sheriff rather than the aloha stadium. the manoa campus already moves more than 20K instructors, students, employees and visitors through the area each work day. moving an additional 12-15K shouldn't be that difficult especially since most fans carpool as it is and the bus system can handle the rest, including me and mine. a university stadium would help the university by retaining its parking, gate and concessions receipts just as the stan sheriff center did when the u.h. moved it's arena games from the blaisdell to the manoa campus.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

From Dave Reardon's article.
http://www.hawaiiwarriorworld.com/footb ... -warriors/

“I don’t think there’s a lack of effort,” head coach Nick Rolovich said. “Maybe a lack of focus sometimes and obviously a lack of execution.”

Huh? What? Rhetoric.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by stranger808 »

st808 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:07 am utah state showed why it is a nationally ranked team. mw conference is growing stronger. boise state stumbled, but utah state, fresno state and san diego state are doing well at representing the conference while earning respect.

unlv is the last real chance the warriors have at seven wins and a hawaii bowl invitation. the away game at san diego state will be tough.

18 warrior starters return next year. that's got to be encouraging.

last night, seeing david matlin leaning on a walkway railing, staring at the sparsely attending audience in an obsolete venue i was reminded that the state needs to commit more funds to the u.h. sports programs especially football. build an on campus 35K stadium and people will fill it as the ambiance will be more college experience like the stan sheriff rather than the aloha stadium. the manoa campus already moves more than 20K instructors, students, employees and visitors through the area each work day. moving an additional 12-15K shouldn't be that difficult especially since most fans carpool as it is and the bus system can handle the rest, including me and mine. a university stadium would help the university by retaining its parking, gate and concessions receipts just as the stan sheriff center did when the u.h. moved it's arena games from the blaisdell to the manoa campus.
I agree 100% with this. The state will reap the benefit of a good football program just by the air time it will receive on national tv, all of that free advertising.
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by stranger808 »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:56 am From Dave Reardon's article.

“I don’t think there’s a lack of effort,” head coach Nick Rolovich said. “Maybe a lack of focus sometimes and obviously a lack of execution.”

Huh? What? Rhetoric.
I only heard on the radio, but from what I got, a lack of effort was evident, but I guess Rolo as HC can't really say that, it reflects badly on the coaching staff and especially him.
Last edited by stranger808 on Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference

Re: Post Utah State game thoughts?

Post by stranger808 »

I hope the boys can pull together, they still have 2 games to go and a possibility of a bowl berth. The season isn't lost. If Rolo insists on using the Shotgun RPO, next season he really needs to include the roll out (it's called the Sprint Out RPO) the QB, it would open up the O and get more first downs. When you roll out (sprint out) the QB, you give him one side of the field to look at, the reads are quicker and he will have the option to pass,tuck and run or throw out of bounds. You're threatening the D with your QB's arm AND legs. Gotta use your offense to your QB's talents. Just gotta make sure he has the tackles that can seal the edge, but that's the big "?". IMHO

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

stranger808 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:36 am
shrek2 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:56 am From Dave Reardon's article.

Huh? What? Rhetoric.
I only heard on the radio, but from what I got, a lack of effort was evident, but I guess Rolo as HC can't really say that, it reflects badly on the coaching staff and especially him.
I saw the interview on UH football site and he said that during the interview and Dave pulled it from the interview. He was trying to be a politician in trying to not get down on the kids but making an excuse for not doing better. I think a better way he could have said that was to allude to look at tapes and make some changes and adjustments for our next game so we do a better job or something to that effect. I don't know if I really like the reference to getting some tackling toys for the kids. I would have liked a question from the audience as to how they plan to beat USU next year.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

In many of the tackles, the defense was there. There were too many missed tackles, not once, but twice, then the big gains. I think Batoon had a plan, they excuted the plan, but didn't make that play in the end. In the end, I think the players need to be responsible too. They are the ones that is on the field and playing the game. If Tavai is the heart and soul of the defense, it stop beating in the end.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Turn out by the fans is dangerously low.

This is an embarrassment. Ticket prices need to be drastically reduced. Tickets need to get into the hands of the youth in our community.

The stadium needs to be filled at whatever price it takes. Or get ready to cancel the program as the baby boomers get too old to get to the stadium.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

I got to see a lot of players get in the game that I wanted to see. Empty stadium reminds me of some games I went to at the old Honolulu Stadium. On a cold rainy night only 3 of us sat in a whole section on the visitors side.

Young team - good.

Offense - disappointing. At times players look so confused. At this point in the season with a bye the coaches should be able to fix things for the next game
against UNLV. If not why are they here? Rolo made changes on the defensive side.

Defense - really needs work but I like what I am seeing in some of the players. Easy to get down on the defensive coaches but I won’t. I will give them the
opportunity to recruit the players that they feel that they need to fill the pukas. Sometimes you can only fix things in the off season. I just hope
that they can find some strong leaders to help mold the unit.

Still I hope they make it to a bowl game. I think they can.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

Makana
Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by Makana »

Not much that needs to be said except the defense is I'd say 90% of the problems. From play calling to fundamentals, the defense just needs to hit the reset button next season and maybe switch to a base 3-4. Zeno Choi would've made a solid two-gap NT with Padella at Will, Tavai would be my Sam and Mautautia the Mike, the Ted spot would be open.
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by stranger808 »

I tried to watch the replay on Spectrum. lose money, the bugga funny kine. it's like watching the R rated HBO movies back in the hannabaddah days. You know, when you no pay for it, but it comes in scrambled. lol

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

stranger808 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:38 pm I tried to watch the replay on Spectrum. lose money, the bugga funny kine. it's like watching the R rated HBO movies back in the hannabaddah days. You know, when you no pay for it, but it comes in scrambled. lol
Or you mean like when you would go over to uncle’s house and he have that device where he push a button and the screen come clear for the fights.

whirlygig5
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by whirlygig5 »

Dunno how to solve UH's Defensive problems. Maybe just better recruiting cz no matter who the DC is weather its Batoon or Aranda, the defensive was never good. Gotta come down to the players and recruiting.