stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Re: Time to grade Rolovich's midterm

Post by stranger808 »

Bump
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

shrek2 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:42 pm
Recruiting - C- got some QBs and a young foundation for OL and DL. Got Ward and Byrd. Failed to recruit rush DEs. No two way DEs. No true safeties. LBs playing safety. And no tall receivers with any plaiyimg time to replace Armstrong Brown. I like Stovall. Holly and Reed will improve.

Offense - C Should have installed R&S his first year. Year two should be better. We should show improvent across the board.

Defense - C pass rush and pass coverage needs to improve. DL gets better in 2019. Need to improve take aways.
Special Teams - C. As stated by another poster. Nothing special. They did their job. Big improvement in field goal kicking.

Play calling - D No creativity. No improvement since Army. We knew what defenses were going to do and we did nothing to counter. RPO on the 2 yard line for a safety? Too much gambling on 4th when we have no plays with high odds to convert. Everyone knew what we were going to do.

Player development - C. Not enough. Hard to access.

Improve community interest - C it is all about winning. We should have beat Army. We could have beat Nevada. I put the onus of community interest on the backs of warrior football fans, the administration, press and alumni. Fans need to recruit fans. I don’t by the young has no interest in football. Other stadiums across the country are sold out. You don’t have to play football to lile football

Coaching - C. Poor game planning, no creativity, poor in game decisions. No improvent or very little since Army. There were wins we could have lost and there were games we could have won.

Overall grade - C+ Because of win/loss. aA much better season then anticipated. A young team that should show improvement in 2019. The potential is there. This team will go as far as how much this coaching staff can get better. We need a multiple threat RB. We need a taller WR. We need a DE that can defend the run and generate a pass rush. We need a cover CB.

Now it’s about the off season. The redshirts, development and the new recruits.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

C+. We made it to a bowl. With all the new starters it was a nice surprise. With all the coaching changes, players leaving, installation of a new offense and defense I think Rolo did okay. With poaching from other colleges Rolo’s job has become much more difficult.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: Time to grade Rolovich's midterm/finals

Post by shrek2 »

I think Rolo is in Graduate school and deserves a B final. C'mon guys/gals, we beat SDSU for the first time in years in their house! I was one of those doubters that did not think we were going to win one out of our two final games. We beat UNLV with a miraculous come from behind effort spearheaded by Chevan Cordeiro. Then I thought that, it was Hawaii's last win, but we beat SDSU for the first time since the Wagner days. SDSU beat Arizona State and Boise State. Maybe we got bit on the final exam with Louisiana Tech and it was one of the more lopsided Bowl losses but overall the season was a success. Hope the recruiting grade can go up for next year because the courses are a lot tougher.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

As a Final grade I have to give the team a C-, like averaging all the test scores. So Pass, good season, but like Ying and Yang. Two opposites.

1st semester A-, and 2nd semester a D-. So the average is C-. If this no add up, blame it on Hawaii DOE.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by stranger808 »

stranger808 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:05 pm Recruiting - B, Rolo filled the needs on O & D line. Found Byrd, Ward. and has 2 QB's that could be players (Moussa and Chevan).

Play Calling - D-, IMO, wrong philosophy on offense. Rolo wants to run to establish the pass, I believe that's backwards for the RnS. In the RnS, you throw short quick passes horizontally and quick slants. spread the D, make them chase the ball all over the field. When the safeties move up, you hit them deep. control the tempo/game with the short passing game of the RnS. You don't run Furuta again and again. Fu is a nice player, but not a game breaker with break away speed. Furuta doesn't scare the defense into altering their scheme. Too easy for the D to stop our O. Too many times than not, Rolo has placed the O in the hole by running Furuta for 2 or 3 yards and putting us in 2nd and 7, 3rd and 6. Now, the D knows we are going to pass. Too easy.

Defense - D- I was never a fan of the Batoon hire.

Special Teams - C, they've done nothing that stands out or anything that's terribly poor.

Offense - D-, the RPO's a contradiction of the RnS. We're running a Shotgun RPO, it looks like a RnS formation, but the Shotgun RPO's a run first mentality. It's actually a power running formation/power running game, totally wrong scheme for our young line (our freshman not strong enough yet for power run game). We should be in June Jone's Four Wide (RnS) offense, its more conducive to our skill level on our Line. Rolo should be game planning to move our pocket, let Cole use his legs. In the FSU game, the TD to Ward was because of Cole moving to his right, and the safety moved up thinking it was a run or dump off to the RB in the flat. Rolling Cole out will give him the option of running for the first down, or passing. A 10.8 100 QB will give nightmares to the D and loosen up the coverage. Rolo's not using his weapons properly. If you show and USE speed at QB, RB to go with Ward, Ursua and Byrd, that's hard to contend with for any team.
Holly or Reed should be the starter at RB, Fu can come in for spot duty. Short quick passes (4-5) to the sidelines, quick slants, dump offs to the RB in the flat should be our bread n butter. Throw in roll-outs to move our pocket, run misdirection RB draws off of the roll outs and we maybe on to something. I could go on and on, but no one will read this anyways. I'm just burning time at work on my break. lol

Overall grade - C, our record's still 6 wins against 4 losses, hard to give the team anything lower than that with a winning record. My critiques are more on the offensive philosophy more than anything else. So,a solid C.
For a final grade for the 2018 season, B.

Rolo got the team to a bowl game, when I didn't think we would win more than 3 games this year. A surprise win over SDSU, AT SDSU. That's a big win for us. Rolo and the team did this with a young team, and we have many returning starters next season. Rolo's building the foundation for a solid football program, IMO.

There's some stuff with game planning/strategy, and game/clock management that has to improve, but a solid B for the season. Rolo gets a A+ for the uniforms and helmet...totally the BOMB!!!!
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

I give Rolovich an A. Recruiting and starting true freshman and ending up with a winning season while utilizing new systems on both offense and defense is a remarkable feat. Inexperience lost us a lot of games this year but talent also kept us in a lot of games. Chow replaced a superstar defensive coordinator with a friend coaching in Japan. Come on, man! And...where is the offensive coordinator Norm replaced Rolovich with today?

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by stranger808 »

SundayJam wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:20 am I give Rolovich an A. Recruiting and starting true freshman and ending up with a winning season while utilizing new systems on both offense and defense is a remarkable feat. Inexperience lost us a lot of games this year but talent also kept us in a lot of games. Chow replaced a superstar defensive coordinator with a friend coaching in Japan. Come on, man! And...where is the offensive coordinator Norm replaced Rolovich with today?
Good points!!!

Waryor
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Waryor »

realistically, you can't give him an 'A' otherwise, there would be no room for improvement and obviously, this team has a long way to go. so the best you could give is a 'B'

i would give this team a solid 'C'

having a winning season and beating colorado st and san diego st on the road warrants at least a 'B' unfortunately, getting kicked in the face by nevada at home and being embarrassed by fresno st and utah st, brings it down to a 'C'

as for recruiting. we can rate the 2018 class. we got 7 starters from the 2018 class and that was a big reason for us even having a winning season. without them, we definitely would be looking at a 3 win record.

vaipulu, manning and taala were true freshman! byrd, ward, levao and thomas lived up to expectations as jc transfers. you recruit jc guys to provide immediate help and they did. in addition, khoury bethley and cordeiro each played quite a bit and had at least one start. both also contributed to us winning games this year. i also think there are other players that redshirted who have the potential for being future starters if not stars on this team. guys like kahahawai-welch, kaneshiro, hune, ritner, rooks, etc.

again, i can't give this class an 'A' because it would have to be extraordinary to earn that ranking. but i would give this class a solid 'B'

as for the 2019 class. well, somewhat disappointing. we still have a few more scholarships to give out and we won't know how well this class really is for a couple of years. but the fact that it was ranked as the worst recruiting class of all MWC schools is a bit disappointing.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Waryor wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:17 pm realistically, you can't give him an 'A' otherwise, there would be no room for improvement
I'd give Rolo C's for his first seasons. This season was a transformation. Tomorrow is another day.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Rolo's first year was the Cinderella season. Full of hope.

The 2nd season, things started to went bad when Chris Naole left. Not saying Naole was the key, but something was not right. Coaches don't just leave like that, especially when Hawaii is home. Things went downhill from there. And I have to throw in Brown too. R&S or not, the starting job was his to loose. We can say all the football reasons on how he is not the best man for R&S, but again, no one leaves when they are a Starter. I know many of you are not Brown fans (and I'm not saying I am), but there is no reason why Brown could learn and not operate the R&S. Or I should say, compete for the job. Same with Dylan Collie.

The 3rd season (last), I think something happened when McDonald had that "mystery" injury. Why was that injury NOT disclosed? Why not just make up some BS, oh...Cole hurt his arm during practice? Why clown around with the McDonald double? Was it because UH wanted to given Chevan a chance to start, and McDonald was not happy to be "benched" when he is the starting QB? Was there a split between coaches and players? Were there cliques? The Offensive has been out of sync since. And look at how Rolo answer the question about Ursua not playing in the Hawaii Bowl. Basically, Rolo avoided and directly NOT answer the reporter's question. The game is over. You are not giving out any secrets or advantage. I get it, Ursua wanted to not risk that chance. Was it Ursua's decision not to play? Again, why not just say Ursua had the flu? Ursua hurt his finger? Ursua's shoulder hurts?

Yes, I understand coaches don't have to tell the Press anything. Rolo has been open and honest about many things, and I don't see why he would not elaborate on a player's "injury." Could it be there was no documents of an injury from the medical staff, so Rolo didn't want not to be "caught" in saying something that is not "true?"

Ok, he is not exactly lying because everyone has some sort of hurt. Yes, everyone is "injured" at the late of the season, but players WANT to play no matter what. So I don't imagine they would give any opportunity to be on the field, hurt or not.

Like the concussion rules, players want to get out there. Doctors have to take away their helmets so players can't play.

With all of that said, I just think something happened this past season that lead to the slide.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Football injuries are normally not revealed or revealed in detail. On the one hand there's HIPAA for the general public but there is also a lot of people that want that information for their own personal use. For example, gamblers, the other team, etc. Even before HIPAA, Joe Montana was never admitted to Stanford Hospital as Joe Montana. So even those that had access to his digital records couldn't do anything with them since it was somebody name John Smith.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

If my post seem far off that's because I'm going through post-season withdrawls. Got to find something to talk about UH football.

I'm just disclosing that up front for the next few months. HIPPA, IACUC or not.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

cabanalane wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:54 am If my post seem far off that's because I'm going through post-season withdrawls. Got to find something to talk about UH football.

I'm just disclosing that up front for the next few months. HIPPA, IACUC or not.
:lol: Me too. I follow UH basketball and baseball so its not so bad. I go to a lot of the games on the Left Coast.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

My UH Baseketball days were left with Reggie Cross, Vince Smalls, and Akana.

(I know, wrong section of the forum).