Post Fresno State Game Thoughts?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post Fresno State Game Thoughts?

Post by WarriorTyme »

Watching Fresno State dominate Hawaii gave me flash backs of the BYU Game. See BYU game thoughts...

While we want this team to win every game, got to be realistic making it to 7 wins and getting that Hawaii Bowl invite is crucial for team building for next season. Playing 13 season games and 1 Hawaii Bowl Game gives this team 14 valuable games together. They could use the extra practices in December to build depth, game experience, add strength and speed to those young Freshman and Sophomore bodies.

Plus, its good for the young team to get that Hawaii Bowl experience with staying in hotel and activities that come with being in a bowl game.

Moussa showed he has better arm strength and accuracy hitting the receivers on the numbers against the Fresno State 2nd, 3rd and 4th stringers. Moussa throws an accurate ball on the move, something that McDonald has trouble doing. McDonald/Chevan are similar by throwing some high passes that make the receivers jump to catch or just behind the receivers at times. But McDonald has the wheels that Chevan (Is more quick that fast) and Moussa need to work on to run the RPO.

Remaining 3 Games of the Murders Row part of the schedule:

Utah State at Aloha Stadium *Home Game (Spectrum Sports)
-BYE WEEK-
UNLV at Aloha Stadium *Home Game (Spectrum Sports)
SDSU at Aloha Stadium * Road Game (ESPN Networks)

Live Aloha/Play Warrior
Go Warriors of Hawaii

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: Post Fresno State Game Thoughts?

Post by shrek2 »

You can't add speed in the off season but you can add strength. Couple of plays stick in my mind was when the receiver took one direction it made the defender on the backside take the wrong angle and fell down. The other defender already had the outside. There were a lot of defenders falling down because they got juked out. Although there were a couple of great pass breakups, I didn't really care for Roe Farris trotting after a receiver who was wide open instead of going full speed even though he was beat. I hope the coaches look at the game and talk the kids up into not giving up.

In the fourth quarter when there's 1:30 left in the game after Hawaii just scored to make it 50-20, there is no onside kick. What are the coaches teaching the kids? In most college games, they will play till the game ends. Why did Hawaii give up at the end of the 4th quarter. Is the onside kick only to be done to give away games to Nevada? Where is the momentum going into this week?

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Warriors do not run the ball very well.Most teams can stuff our run game and pick off our passes. Being one dimensional on offense is usually bad,except if a team has a lockdown defense...which UH doesn't.

I know lots of members are big RNS fans here,but truthfully,whether it's aFBS,FCS,or whatever...the top teams are usually going to do a little of both very well. I think the Warrior's need to get better at running the football without losing anything in the passing game.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

The lack of a consistent running game is really hurting the offense this year. The lack of speed in the secondary and lack of a consistent pass rush is hurting the defense. Fresno offensive line was ready for Kaimana Padello and he had no stats and was not effective. UH missed Jahlani Tavai as his replacements did not make any impact in the game.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

I know the game was already out of hand and FSU had 2nd and 3rd sting D in, but still I thought Moussa looked good, he has strong arm and also knows how to put some touch on his throws, he looked poised for a young QB with now other game experience, I wan't to see more of him before the season is over and hopefully against first string D just to see how he does against a seasoned defense

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

I was impressed with Fresno’s secondary. Could be the best I have seen against us this season. They did a really nice job staying close to our receivers. I was disappointed how John gave up ground on a third down reception. If he had not I think he would have had the first down. I am not picking on him. It just bothers me because I have seen our receivers do this in previous games. It is something that needs to be corrected. I think Cole needs to use his legs more. When he got out of the pocket and rolled to his right he froze the free safety letting Jojo get open deep for the touchdown. Unfortunately we don’t block well enough to have an effective running game. We try but it is broken. Then we still try and it is still broken. So we try again. Why? Maybe time to try something else? I did not expect much against Fresno so this loss came as no surprise. I just don’t want the team to quit. I will go forward from thinking that we still get chance.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

couz808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by couz808 »

I heard from the star advertiser that Rolovich was saying that meskell was kicking 53yd fg's during warm ups. So if he has the leg during warm ups, why cant he sustain it during actual game play? I think its a risk if the coaches decide to go with long fg's under meskell.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

couz808 wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:21 pm I heard from the star advertiser that Rolovich was saying that meskell was kicking 53yd fg's during warm ups. So if he has the leg during warm ups, why cant he sustain it during actual game play? I think its a risk if the coaches decide to go with long fg's under meskell.
This was a good gamble with 3 seconds to half time and not having much confidence in passing for the touchdown. For kickers, they don't want to give it too much leg or they will pull or shank it.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Clearly, the biggest issue is with defense. It seemed to me that the Bull Dog receivers were practically standing still waiting for the long bomb to come to them for the first two touchdowns. That's blown coverage...I think. Linebackers are doing a poor job defending the midfield. Once a runner passes the line of scrimmage, he has a good chance of blowing past the secondary.

Why are we not running Fred Holly? I liked what I saw the first few games with him getting the most touches. The last two games he only touched the ball once.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

The thoughts are...going back to the early games when fans would boo when UH would run the ball. Those fans think UH should pass the ball. I get it, run is boring.

Forget Army with the Option. The last few teams that beat UH all ran the ball well, very well.

What I was thinking was, Chow was right. Running the ball does win games. We don't need to rehash everything that went wrong, but the philisophy behind Chow's offense was sound.

Run the ball. All you need is 3-5 yards per carry. Nothning fancy.

Like UH, eventually, UH's defense was worn. Lost the mojo, like there was no will to play. It was sad to see when a team seem to "lost it's will."

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

couz808 wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:21 pm I heard from the star advertiser that Rolovich was saying that meskell was kicking 53yd fg's during warm ups. So if he has the leg during warm ups, why cant he sustain it during actual game play? I think its a risk if the coaches decide to go with long fg's under meskell.
Nobody was rushing at him during warm ups
ImageImage

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

At least we won six games already. If not, this latter half of games could be way more miserable than it already is

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Neighbor wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:16 pm At least we won six games already. If not, this latter half of games could be way more miserable than it already is
If you remember too, the San Jose State game was lost by the kicker as he had never missed a field goal before that game and then he missed two that could have won it for SJSU.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Irse wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:15 pm
Nobody was rushing at him during warm ups
Meskell said it was the same spot he had kicked a goal during warm ups. He said he did not put enough into the kick and it fell short.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

SundayJam wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:17 pm Clearly, the biggest issue is with defense. It seemed to me that the Bull Dog receivers were practically standing still waiting for the long bomb to come to them for the first two touchdowns. That's blown coverage...I think. Linebackers are doing a poor job defending the midfield. Once a runner passes the line of scrimmage, he has a good chance of blowing past the secondary.

Why are we not running Fred Holly? I liked what I saw the first few games with him getting the most touches. The last two games he only touched the ball once.
Holly needs a hole to run through. He doesn’t have the pop that StJ had. First few games our oline did not have the defenses they are facing now.