All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Re: Post Fresno State Game Thoughts?

Post by ulua »

RedZone wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:23 pm
Irse wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:15 pm
couz808 wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:21 pm I heard from the star advertiser that Rolovich was saying that meskell was kicking 53yd fg's during warm ups. So if he has the leg during warm ups, why cant he sustain it during actual game play? I think its a risk if the coaches decide to go with long fg's under meskell.
Nobody was rushing at him during warm ups
Meskell said it was the same spot he had kicked a goal during warm ups. He said he did not put enough into the kick and it fell short.
looks like he had a lot of leg on that 43 yd FG and probably could have made the 53yd FG probably just didn't get it all on that one

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

clearly, mw football competitiveness in and out of conference is being raised by fresno, utah state, san diego state besides the usual suspect boise state. fresno and utah state broke into the rankings this week with san diego state and boise state lurking unranked. hawaii is going to have its hands full with utah state and san diego state. the only chance hawaii has of making the hawaii bowl is to win the unlv game which is doable.

next year, hawaii returns 18 starters. not bad. hoping for one more win at least so i don't have to wait a year for a bowl game.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

unpaid wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:28 am Warriors do not run the ball very well.Most teams can stuff our run game and pick off our passes. Being one dimensional on offense is usually bad,except if a team has a lockdown defense...which UH doesn't.

I know lots of members are big RNS fans here,but truthfully,whether it's aFBS,FCS,or whatever...the top teams are usually going to do a little of both very well. I think the Warrior's need to get better at running the football without losing anything in the passing game.
I think people are too focused on the "scheme" when criticizing the running game and not enough on the fact that we just have a young O-line that lost most of its experience from the previous year and is starting two true freshmen. It was easy to overlook this in the beginning of the season because of a couple of things:
1) we played less talented teams like Rice, Duquense, SJSU, and CSU
2) we played two service academies that are always smaller on the defensive line than the typical FBS team
3) there was not much film of our offense for opposing teams to scout

Because of these things, the young O-line was able to overachieve and as fans our expectations grew quite a bit... but this stretch of the season has brought us back down to earth (and then some). I think Weber is a good coach and I think this group will get better with experience. The reason why I am not too critical about the scheme is because not only has our run game stalled in the 2nd half of the season, but our pass protection has gotten progressively worse as the season has wore on. In the beginning of the season, not only were we running better but Cole McDonald had a much easier time sitting in the pocket and making throws. So I don't think it is so much our run game that is performing poorly - I think O-line play in general is not as effective as it was and it is affecting the pass and the run. I wish it were just a matter of calling the right plays or making some philosophy adjustment, but it seems much more fundamental than that right now. Hopefully the combination of rest and coaching up during the bye week can allow them to regain some of that effectiveness against UNLV.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

I like your assessment poidog.

We are 18 point home dogs this week for a reason

Hopefully, that is a motivating factor. We got to play our best game and then take some momentum into the bye week. We don’t have to win. Just get back to the basics one step at a time.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

As Tom Seaver once said Hawaii has two chances to win this week. Slim and none.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Hawaii really only score one (competitive) TD last week. Fresno was the better team, and as ESPN said, may be the best California football team, period.

But I think this has to do with UH. Something is wrong, internally.

It's one thing to get beat. UH is just not clicking. Rolo's first year was "magical" in the sense of a turnaround. Something went wrong during the second year. That same thing seem to be back.

We can not just say, this is the first year of R&S, young team, new defense, young O-line, etc. We seen they play. We seen how well they can play. These kids are fast learners, and something is now, not right.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

There are some glaring topics fans above are missing, so I think it is important to point out the facts:

1) The players have been in the "New RNS" for 3 years
2) Rolo doesn't have only his recruits on the team
3) Our DC has been a revolving door
4) Our OL has 2 true Freshmen
5) There is more hope than the Chow years
6) UH needs to get lucky and find some diamonds in the rough ala Chad Owens, Ashley Leile, Issac Sopoanga
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:43 am
6) UH needs to get lucky and find some diamonds in the rough ala Chad Owens, Ashley Leile, Issac Sopoanga
That would be John Ursua. He lost last year. Outside of the last game, he did good. Considering how this year is going, I would think he would want to return for his Senior year. So at the end of his career, I would not be surprise if he is Top 3 GOAT, or even reach #1.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

cabanalane wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:50 am
Palolo_2LA wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:43 am
That would be John Ursua. He lost last year. Outside of the last game, he did good. Considering how this year is going, I would think he would want to return for his Senior year. So at the end of his career, I would not be surprise if he is Top 3 GOAT, or even reach #1.
Ursua is definitely legit. They need to run some wildcat, screens, jet sweep, etc to get the ball into their best players hands.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

SundayJam wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:17 pm Clearly, the biggest issue is with defense. It seemed to me that the Bull Dog receivers were practically standing still waiting for the long bomb to come to them for the first two touchdowns. That's blown coverage...I think. Linebackers are doing a poor job defending the midfield. Once a runner passes the line of scrimmage, he has a good chance of blowing past the secondary.

Why are we not running Fred Holly? I liked what I saw the first few games with him getting the most touches. The last two games he only touched the ball once.
It appears Holly had a hammy. According to today’s paper he is fully healed and ready to go. Cole also said he is fully healed from the injury he had.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1: