stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Re: *** Official UH vs Nevada Pregame Thread ***

Post by stranger808 »

stranger808 wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:19 pm
honu888 wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:11 pm We got chewed up by cougars and now the wolves who’s next on our schedule. The bull dogs?
Fresno will kill us if Rolo doesn't change up the O, use Cole's legs more on roll outs and roll out misdirection draws, its in our playbook. Flares to RB (not Furuta) with speed, Holly, Reed. Use tempo, 5 wide etc...scrap that RPO. SMH
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Tennessee looked better against Alabama than Hawaii against Nevada. There were no easy first downs for Alabama and Tennessee could score enough to make it a game against a tough opponent. It seemed like Nevada told Hawaii they were going to run the ball and Hawaii just opened the door.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by stranger808 »

Our best chance is beating UNLV.

Fresno, Utah St. and SDSU are too good for us, especially when our coaches haven't made any adjustments, NADA..on either side of the ball. IMO
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Terrible game. No excuses.

However, losing tavai was a killer. No idea why the refs didnt blow that play dead as it was an obvious incomplete pass and not a fumble. To get hurt on a play like that is unfortunate. We aren't good enough to overcome things like that.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by stranger808 »

I'm listening to the fan phone with Dickman and to me, its not the O-line's fault. We have a young Oline, it's up to the offensive coordinator to put these guys in the best position to succeed and win. Making Cole a pocket passer is not the smartest play for him with his athleticism, and a young line that's being exposed on the edges. Roll the bugga out!!!!! QB delayed draws, misdirection RB draw when rolling out the QB etc.. so many plays in the playbook accumulating cobwebs.

We got out-coached and outplayed. Yes, our WR did drop balls, but that's not the full story.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by stranger808 »

Some dislike Gary Dickman, the braddah sounds okay to me, seems to be very patient with the drunk callers. lol

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

couz808 wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:07 pm Give cordeiro some reps already
Something about his throwing motion, i can't tell if it's just an ugly motion that he has or doesn't have arm strength there for has to put a lot of effort to throw the ball, not sure which one it is, but that motion just make it look like he has no arm, but he is young and will get stronger, at least he getting some playing time, was hoping to see Jeremy get some playing time as well.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

shrek2 wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:26 pm Tennessee looked better against Alabama than Hawaii against Nevada. There were no easy first downs for Alabama and Tennessee could score enough to make it a game against a tough opponent. It seemed like Nevada told Hawaii they were going to run the ball and Hawaii just opened the door.
You thought the Vols made it a game against Bama???

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

genks wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:57 pm
shrek2 wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:26 pm Tennessee looked better against Alabama than Hawaii against Nevada. There were no easy first downs for Alabama and Tennessee could score enough to make it a game against a tough opponent. It seemed like Nevada told Hawaii they were going to run the ball and Hawaii just opened the door.
The Vols played tougher against Bama than Hawaii played Nevada. It was a better game to watch. Bama had to play tough the entire game. UH coaches took the game away from his "kids" and they didn't play football but more like stratego. I wanted to see a college football game against two tough teams. Two onside kicks gave Nevada the ball at the 50 yard line and a short field. Two failed fourth down attempts left Nevada in good field position. Its a team game so I don't know how the players can feel like they want to play hard when there's no faith in the coaching staff.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by stranger808 »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:06 am
The Vols played tougher against Bama than Hawaii played Nevada. It was a better game to watch. Bama had to play tough the entire game. UH coaches took the game away from his "kids" and they didn't play football but more like stratego. I wanted to see a college football game against two tough teams. Two onside kicks gave Nevada the ball at the 50 yard line and a short field. Two failed fourth down attempts left Nevada in good field position. Its a team game so I don't know how the players can feel like they want to play hard when there's no faith in the coaching staff.
Good points.

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

stranger808 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:49 am
shrek2 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:06 am

Good points.
Yup true dat. it's all on the coaching staff, right now the it looks like the players have no faith in the coaching staff and is no longer bought in to their scheme. Coaches better figure it out quick and regain the players trust or it over.

at this point we will not win another game.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Paul Arnett of the HSA said it the best in his article who was critical of the game last night. He said the Hawaii Bowl organizers are afraid of Hawaii qualifying for the bowl at this point. I can see his point as they will likely show poorly in three of the last four games, nobody's going to be interested in the game which means sponsors will be hard to find and television viewership will be down. A close game last night would have made the Hawaii Bowl more attractive but now its a hard sell. I guess UNR should schedule Hawaii for their homecoming next year.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: *** Official UH vs Nevada game Thread ***

Post by cabanalane »

About the O-Line being young, there are others players that they could sub in, no? I mean, if the young guys are being outplayed, then sub in some Sr and Jr. So what if they are not the starters. If they can play, sub them in. I didn't pay too enough attention the to O-Line subs. But I can see Defense subs to try to keep guys fresh. Are they making enough O-Line subs to give them time to rest and regroup?

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by stranger808 »

cabanalane wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:39 pm About the O-Line being young, there are others players that they could sub in, no? I mean, if the young guys are being outplayed, then sub in some Sr and Jr. So what if they are not the starters. If they can play, sub them in. I didn't pay too enough attention the to O-Line subs. But I can see Defense subs to try to keep guys fresh. Are they making enough O-Line subs to give them time to rest and regroup?
Good question, but you don't rotate O-lineman in and out, ever. The O-line's success depends on reps/continuity. The 5 starters work as one. If you sub in and out guys from the o-line, they will misfire badly. The ones starting are the best ones we have ready to play, it's why they're starters. It's up to the O coaching staff to put together a game plan for these guys to be in the best situation to excel, and so far, they have failed.

I see the coaches trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Cole McDonald's a scrambler, not a pocket passer. I believe he's hesitating and holding onto the ball because he's thinking too much (coaches drilling it in him) about staying in the pocket instead of playing by his instincts. If his instincts tell him to run (the clock in his head) then he should run with no scoldings from the sideline. Until he gets comfortable again, have the bugga roll out and have the option to run if no ones open. The counter would be the roll out, misdirection draw to the RB, a speed back (not Furuta). It's in the playbook, but the game planning doesn't include the play. This will also slow the defense down and open it up. Rolo needs to take part in the game planning, way more than he is. It's obvious to me he's not, its Smith with the bulk of the load. Also, our tackles are having trouble with the D's edge rushers, Cole rolling out and moving the pocket will help them greatly. IMO

Flares to the RB is non existent in the current arsenal, why? The D has known what we do since game 3, why no changes/tweaks? The RPO "dive" play are dead giveaways to what's coming. Watch our QB, 2 hands on the ball, 90-95% chance the RB get's it, in the RB draw out of the RnS, its a one handed hand-off. Too easy for the linebacker to see what's coming. No point to the RPO mixing with the RnS. When you run any type of play, almost every play after that should have a counter. I don't see it being utilized. The counter to the "dive" is the QB keeping, but the QB from what I see is being told when to keep and when to give. Defeats the purpose of the RPO. IMO

Scrap the RPO. The RnS is a dink n dunk offense, spread the D out horizontally with 4-5 yard passes, flares to the RB, WR screens wide, and quick slants. Lore the safeties up, and bam, hit the seam with the vertical pass. The RPO does NOT compliment what the RnS does, it contradicts it. IMHO

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

stranger808 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:23 pm

Scrap the RPO. The RnS is a dink n dunk offense, spread the D out horizontally with 4-5 yard passes, flares to the RB, WR screens wide, and quick slants. Lore the safeties up, and bam, hit the seam with the vertical pass. The RPO does NOT compliment what the RnS does, it contradicts it. IMHO
When Nevada hike the ball straight to the RB, it was quick how they penetrated and shoot the gaps. RPO takes too much time "to decide" if it's run or not. That's valuable seconds wasted.