shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: Post BYU Game Thoughts?

Post by shrek2 »

Looking at the good points from the BYU game, Hawaii was able to stop BYU to two three and outs at the start of the second half. Also, they never committed any personal fouls on defense for hitting out of bounds especially since the quarterback liked trotting off into the sidelines when there was no one to pass to and no late hits.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Knowing BYU held Wisconsin to 200 yards rushing, and at Wisconsin at that, our offensive play callers kept trying to run in the middle? We have 3 freshman Oline going up against 20something year olds.

Our Offensive play callers added no creativity or new wrinkles, in the past 3 games. We have the weapons but opposing defensive coaches have seemed to figure out our offense. Rush 3 on 1st and 2nd down and on 3rd down send the house.

Bob Wagner once said, when he played Pitt, that they couldn't run all night against them so he tweaked the Triple option and used the snake (3 triple) stack to use speed over beef.

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

I thinks we need a defensive coach who understands what kind of players we have and bring out the best in them, prepare a defensive scheme around the type of players we have, coaches like
Keven Lempa and Greg McMackin come to mind. I'm not saying hire these guys, i'm just saying we need a defensive minded coach like them who can bring out the best in these players and help make them successful.

I do think we have talented players, and I always felt our DB can't be that bad, I feel like it's a defensive scheme that just does not fit our players, and it's putting our players in bad position. Also the in game adjustments are not there.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Why not have the triple option on the two point conversion run by a different quarterback? Lucky they were able to punch in Furuta on one of the td's but if that didn't work, what would they go to? There will be other opportunities with Utah State and SDSU when they will be in the 5 yard line trying to figure out what to call.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:33 pm Why not have the triple option on the two point conversion run by a different quarterback? Lucky they were able to punch in Furuta on one of the td's but if that didn't work, what would they go to? There will be other opportunities with Utah State and SDSU when they will be in the 5 yard line trying to figure out what to call.
That would be like adding a whole new system. To get the timing right it would take many reps away from the other things they are trying to do. The oline would have to learn the blocking scheme too.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

Hawaii needs a couple of junk-yard-dog type of D-Lineman. Vicious, chews up blocks and has a bite for Running Backs and Quarter Backs. It’s been a while since Hawaii a had Junk-Yard-Dog NT or DT.

Got to develop what is on the roster or recruit some.

Go Warriors of Hawaii!

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

(Didn't read everyone's thread yet)

Few thoughts:

- Last game Rolo fake with a guy wearing McDonald's jersey. I thought Norm Chow was coaching the game with all the run plays.

- Is McDonald ok? He didn't look that swifty on his run plays. Everyone play through injuries, but I wonder if he is still hurt.

- Some of you guys said it early. UH has been exposed. The team is better but not really a good team. There's still a long way to go. We were talking GOAT and how this could be the magical season. I think many of us are now back down to earth.

- 6'9 guy was Beast. He was unstoppable, and everywhere. Chop block is illegal right? No one went out to just take him down? He didn't let anyone pass the 3-4-5 yards, at best. How old is he, like 26? That's a grown man playing against boys.

- If the offense could not get it going, I didn't think the defense had an answer either.

- They said Hawaii players are not used to playing in the cold. Can the team travel and have a few practices on the Big Island by the telescope? Get used to the cold, and fly directly from Hilo to the mainland.

- I actually thought it was a "good game" and could have been competitive. Two less fumbles, and the story could have been different.

- IMO, I don't think BYU vs UH have the same feeling as the old days. Wagner's Bows beat them, not once, but twice, when they were in the WAC. It meant something them as BYU often kept UH from reaching the top. And Rolo's performance that destroyed them in 01. But I think for the old guys like myselft, I still want to see UH spank BYU. The schools need to schedule these games for often, just because...

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

RedZone wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:02 pm
shrek2 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:33 pm Why not have the triple option on the two point conversion run by a different quarterback? Lucky they were able to punch in Furuta on one of the td's but if that didn't work, what would they go to? There will be other opportunities with Utah State and SDSU when they will be in the 5 yard line trying to figure out what to call.
That would be like adding a whole new system. To get the timing right it would take many reps away from the other things they are trying to do. The oline would have to learn the blocking scheme too.
How about lining up both Furuta and Holly on either side of the qb, rollout the quarterback with Holly on the outside and toss to Torres? Ursua would be man in motion going right to left and the rollout would be to the right.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

UnBiasFan wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:30 am We will still have abysmal attendance at the stadium
This is what bums me out the most. I think in order to get over the attendance hump we needed to have a home game after winning 3 in a row, but both 3 game win streaks ended on the road and any momentum was lost. If we can somehow win the next 3, attendance will crack 30k on Senior night (my guess is 32k)... but what are the chances of that happening?

BYU is a bigger and stronger team with a tough schedule and gives us a true measure of where UH is. it would be nice to be able to compete with teams like that right now, but we are probably a season away.

I sure wish that the bye week was this week instead of before the last home game of the season...

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

shrek2 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:32 am
How about lining up both Furuta and Holly on either side of the qb, rollout the quarterback with Holly on the outside and toss to Torres? Ursua would be man in motion going right to left and the rollout would be to the right.
any time this formation would come onto the field the defense would be like "oh, it's the play they run with 2 RB's and a TE" and unless the coaches spent a lot of time implementing a whole set of plays for this package, that would be exactly what would happen. if we all agree that the RnS was pretty good under JJ we can look to the 9 years under June Jones. I can remember maybe 2 or 3 times where they used a different package and I think all of them were trick plays (failed td pass to abu ma'afala lined up as a TE, successful HB pass from chad kapanui to ashley lelie are the two i can remember specificially). I think if they want to build in some option runs that you have to do it out of your base package (we've seen this once or twice earlier in the season, near the goal line. one was a pitch to holly for a 1st down and one was a keeper by cole for a TD) because that's the only way you can avoid giving it away before the snap. I'm all for anything that gets cole mcdonald on the outside where he can use his speed and savvy running ability to make a play. i remember back in 2010, rolo had a combo play with an option pitch to the RB (alex green) to the outside and a shovel pass option inside to the slot (kealoha pilares) to the inside that never worked as well as anyone hoped (we may have seen this once this season but it didn't work very well, either). There are ways to get creative within the current package, but is there enough time at this point in the season to implement them and do them well? if there was a bye coming up sooner than later, possibly. coming back from a tough road trip to Provo? maybe not yet...

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

poidog wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:03 am

any time this formation would come onto the field the defense would be like "oh, it's the play they run with 2 RB's and a TE" and unless the coaches spent a lot of time implementing a whole set of plays for this package, that would be exactly what would happen. if we all agree that the RnS was pretty good under JJ we can look to the 9 years under June Jones. I can remember maybe 2 or 3 times where they used a different package and I think all of them were trick plays (failed td pass to abu ma'afala lined up as a TE, successful HB pass from chad kapanui to ashley lelie are the two i can remember specificially). I think if they want to build in some option runs that you have to do it out of your base package (we've seen this once or twice earlier in the season, near the goal line. one was a pitch to holly for a 1st down and one was a keeper by cole for a TD) because that's the only way you can avoid giving it away before the snap. I'm all for anything that gets cole mcdonald on the outside where he can use his speed and savvy running ability to make a play. i remember back in 2010, rolo had a combo play with an option pitch to the RB (alex green) to the outside and a shovel pass option inside to the slot (kealoha pilares) to the inside that never worked as well as anyone hoped (we may have seen this once this season but it didn't work very well, either). There are ways to get creative within the current package, but is there enough time at this point in the season to implement them and do them well? if there was a bye coming up sooner than later, possibly. coming back from a tough road trip to Provo? maybe not yet...
Well, let's see. Torres has one catch this season for 1 yard and 1 touchdown and I've seen Cole option to Fred Holly at least once this year on a sweep so the only difference is the second running back in Furuta. I don't see how they can score touchdowns against SDSU and Utah State within 5 yards by going to the same guys that the defense is keying on.

rodfather
All-American
All-American

Post by rodfather »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:27 am It would have been interesting to see BYU play Army or UCF and see how these teams do. BYU came into the game with offensive line which is the trademark of the Wisconsin teams. BYU could have beaten half of the Big-10 teams but it would have been boring games to watch.
That is what I thought about this game especially in the first half. They drop eight into coverage...run the ball down their throats. That is pretty much standard procedure, a lot of coaches often do this, even Norm Chow talked about running the ball vs a 3 man line/drop 8 into coverage. Problem was these BYU lines went toe to toe with Wisconsin at their place. That is why the running game didn't work as well.

I still think this will be a good year. They have to protect the home field, can't take anyone for granted. The road games will be tough. SDSU is good. Fresno, well, its our rivalry game. (We still play for the Golden Screwdriver? Seriously, that game needs a trophy.)
"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat." --- Jigoro Kano, The Founder of Judo

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

rodfather wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:01 pm
shrek2 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:27 am It would have been interesting to see BYU play Army or UCF and see how these teams do. BYU came into the game with offensive line which is the trademark of the Wisconsin teams. BYU could have beaten half of the Big-10 teams but it would have been boring games to watch.
That is what I thought about this game especially in the first half. They drop eight into coverage...run the ball down their throats. That is pretty much standard procedure, a lot of coaches often do this, even Norm Chow talked about running the ball vs a 3 man line/drop 8 into coverage. Problem was these BYU lines went toe to toe with Wisconsin at their place. That is why the running game didn't work as well.

I still think this will be a good year. They have to protect the home field, can't take anyone for granted. The road games will be tough. SDSU is good. Fresno, well, its our rivalry game. (We still play for the Golden Screwdriver? Seriously, that game needs a trophy.)
So much was made of their freshman quarterback and I think that Chevan outplayed him the previous week because he made the hail mary pass that scored the winning touchdown. Also, a lot is made of his speed but here again our freshman qb was faster. If only Hawaii could have had a few more three and outs like they did at the start on the second half, it might have been competitive.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

poidog wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:03 am

I may be wrong but I think I have seen them run the speed option with success twice this year. It is something that I wish they would do more of. With maybe a couple of variations added.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

Just watched ch2 news and Love how RJ Hollis did not sugar coat Anything, straight out he said UH O line and D line needs to improve, play smarter, get stronger, on run plays the D line needs to plug the gaps or teams will just run the ball down their throats, and the O line needs to protect McDonald better to give him time and they need to do a better job of run blocking to give the RB’s some room to do their thing, because BYU O and D line dominated us