Redzone: Kicking FGs or Going for it on 4th

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Redzone: Kicking FGs or Going for it on 4th

Post by poidog »

I don't think anyone is going to agree with all of Rolo's choices to go for it on 4th down, but he's established from the beginning of the season that he's willing to let his offense go get a yard when they need to get a yard. most times, so far, it has worked but there have also been times where it hasn't worked. either way, it has helped establish an identity for the offense and they know they have the trust of their coach to go get that yard when they need it. with that said, I would have kicked the FG in that situation but I did not think that going for it was a bad decision (just not the best decision). As someone else has stated, as the competition gets tougher, the margin for error shrinks so I expect to see more FGs in those situations going forward.

rodfather
All-American
All-American

Post by rodfather »

If I were the coach in that situation, I kick the FG. It was the first half, save stuff like that for the 2nd half.

But then again, I am not a football coach. Again it depends on the situation, if you are going to gamble in those situations do what JJ has said in the past, take "calculated" risks. I am sure that in today's analytic driven sports studies, one can calculate the odds of getting the first down.
"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat." --- Jigoro Kano, The Founder of Judo

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

rodfather wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:03 pm If I were the coach in that situation, I kick the FG. It was the first half, save stuff like that for the 2nd half.
i think that's the point. Its about being agressive. you can make up for it later, but its easier to put pressure on first than to do it with pressure on you, is the theory.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

Da BABOOZE just said on his show he will continue to be aggressive “got to stay constant” blah blah blah

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Coaches don't win games. Players have to execute to win games. Coaches can lose games with poor game planning and game management.

to

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

xer 21 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:40 pm

i think that's the point. Its about being agressive. you can make up for it later, but its easier to put pressure on first than to do it with pressure on you, is the theory.

Exactly, being conservative, and taking 3 points, Players have the thinking of "ok, we are getting closer, we will get them. Let's go get them." Being agressive, not making on 4th down, it's major failed. Harder to bounce back from that when players are human and kids to be exact.

Yes, I like the going for it on 4th down. At this point, it's not good for their psych.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

when the cards are hot, and the percentages are in your favor, up your bet. but if you're just getting okay cards, take the small wins, and play your next hand. as a wise person once said:

you''ve got to know when to hold em,
know when to fold em,
know when to walk away,
and know when to run (or pass :lol:).

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I don't play cards, but that's exactly what I mean. Well said.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Note, this thread specifies "Redzone" field position

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Did we even get into the red zone against the Fresnecks? I don't even feel like watching my recording on DVR and plan to erase it.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

i would take the field goal over anything longer than 4th and five in the red zone against utah state or san diego state, especially in the first quarter. by the second or third quarter, if the score is close a red zone field goal is still my choice. in the fourth quarter if field goals won't make a difference in the score, i'm for going for it on 4th down.

with unlv, i would go for it on 4th down in the red zone or even at the 30, for the first half. in the second half with a two touchdown lead i would go for it on fourth. if the second half is just one score apart, i would do field goals outside of the 5 on fourth down.