Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Re: *** Official Hawaii @ BYU, Game 8 Thread ***

Post by stranger808 »

Irse wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:09 am BYU is just a more talented team then us and they played their best game. It may be because our D isn't very good. But the also beat Wisconsin on the road. Now they found thier QB so they may get on a roll.
I believe our problem wasn't a lack of talent, it was game preparation/strategy. The offensive game plan stunk, no adjustments from the previous games as to what the D was showing/giving. We did the exact same thing on offense as we did in previous games. Against BYU, I would have liked to see our O move the pocket, let Cole create with his legs if nothing is there, it would have given him more time against some of that pressure, and possible pick up a few more first downs. Rolo trying to establish the run before the pass, I think that goes against the RnS philosophy of ball control offense through high percentage, short pass plays. In the RnS you use the run to keep the defense honest, but you start with the pass, NOT the run game. The horizontal short passes (dink n dunk) to either side of the field, slants, dump off to RBs on flares are supposed to open the middle for runs, the safeties move up, and BAM! you go vertical down the seams.
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

stranger808 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:44 pm
Irse wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:09 am BYU is just a more talented team then us and they played their best game. It may be because our D isn't very good. But the also beat Wisconsin on the road. Now they found thier QB so they may get on a roll.
I believe our problem wasn't a lack of talent, it was game preparation/strategy. The offensive game plan stunk, no adjustments from the previous games as to what the D was showing/giving. We did the exact same thing on offense as we did in previous games. Against BYU, I would have liked to see our O move the pocket, let Cole create with his legs if nothing is there, it would have given him more time against some of that pressure, and possible pick up a few more first downs. Rolo trying to establish the run before the pass, I think that goes against the RnS philosophy of ball control offense through high percentage, short pass plays. In the RnS you use the run to keep the defense honest, but you start with the pass, NOT the run game. The horizontal short passes (dink n dunk) to either side of the field, slants, dump off to RBs on flares are supposed to open the middle for runs, the safeties move up, and BAM! you go vertical down the seams.
Very unfortunate that Rolo and Smith don't, or won't listen to you. The Curse of Chow is still stinking up the football offices and the athletic complex.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

My3Cats wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:59 pm

Very unfortunate that Rolo and Smith don't, or won't listen to you. The Curse of Chow is still stinking up the football offices and the athletic complex.
Curse of Chow?

Nope. That was the curse of June Jones.

We got our asses handed to us on the road by a better team. The RnS cannot beat far superior talent in a road game. We can beat anyone at home. On the road against better teams, we will always be suspect.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

UnBiasFan wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:14 pm

Curse of Chow?

We got our asses handed to us on the road by a better team. The RnS cannot beat far superior talent in a road game. We can beat anyone at home. On the road against better teams, we will always be suspect.
When have we ever beat a superior team on the road?
ImageImage

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

Irse wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:07 pm

Curse of Chow?

Didn't you guys beat Iowa who was highly ranked at their place in the late '80s? If so, that's the only one I could think of.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

wyokie wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:52 pm

Curse of Chow?

Didn't you guys beat Iowa who was highly ranked at their place in the late '80s? If so, that's the only one I could think of.
No. I think we beat Iowa at home in the early 80s.
ImageImage

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Irse wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:07 pmWhen have we ever beat a superior team on the road?
I think the only time we beat a Ranked team on the road was 2008 against a then #22 Fresno St

In 2006 we lost at then #24 Alabama by a mere 17-25. Also in 2006 we lost at then #22 Boise St 29-32 in OT

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

"Curse of Chow," I like that creativity and will use it.

Do you guys think RPO looses half a second (slower) on run plays? Would it be quicker to just hand off to the RB?

From the player's level do they really bite, when the QB take back the ball? I'm thinking the defensive player see things a lot better at that level, then us on TV.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Curse of Chow?

My Curse of Chow reference is to the hardheadedness. Unwillingness to make adjustments. Some, including me, used to call him stubborn old man.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Curse of Chow?

Hawaii has never played at Iowa.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Curse of Chow?

1955 – A year after suffering a 50–0 blowout loss to Nebraska in Honolulu, the Rainbows go up to Lincoln the following season and upset the Huskers 6–0. The win is considered one of the school's all-time biggest upsets.

1973 – The Rainbows record what is widely considered to be the biggest upset in school history, defeating Washington 10–7 in front of 52,500 in Seattle. The Huskies were favored to beat Hawaiʻi by as many as 50 points.

Gotta go back quite a ways for these golden moments.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

My3Cats wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:43 am

You better read a UH football media guide cos Hawaii did play AT Iowa twice, 1956 (losing 34-0) and in 1991 (losing 53-10). If in doubt always check a media guide!!!!!

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Rolo said we got beat at the line of scrimmage on both sides. It is something that will have to be remedied during the off season. We are a young team so I think that it can be done. Solomon said that the linebackers did not do a good job. I agree hopefully they will learn from this game. For me I just want them to get better each game. The game I am waiting for is San Diego St. at their house. To me this is a much bigger game than BYU. It won’t bother me if they don’t play BYU again. It is not the same as it once was. Now they are just another team on the schedule. I would rather see a team like UCF.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

wyokie wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:47 pm

You better read a UH football media guide cos Hawaii did play AT Iowa twice, 1956 (losing 34-0) and in 1991 (losing 53-10). If in doubt always check a media guide!!!!!
Mahalo Wyokie! I wasn't born by 1956 and probably I had really bad memory about the 1991 game to forget about it.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

My3Cats wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:13 pm
wyokie wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:47 pm

Mahalo Wyokie! I wasn't born by 1956 and probably I had really bad memory about the 1991 game to forget about it.
Media guides are a passion of mine. \:D/

The most "valuable" media guide I have...1988 Wyoming Cowboy football media guide. Our last great year where we won a outright conference championship (and had great uniforms) but now....we royally stink!!!!!! :evil: