Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Dayton Furuta

Post by ubercow »

"Fruit train" is killing it on the field, and also on the motivational twitter posts
https://twitter.com/FurutaDayton/status/1049066831707656194

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: Dayton Furuta

Post by shrek2 »

Class.

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dakineguy »

I love this years team. It's all about playing for their families and Hawaii. What a great group we have. Hopefully his tweet will bear fruit :P or more fruit trains :roll:
GO WARRIORS !!! PLAY HARD!!!!
Ohana Makou
ex-lounge lizard, ex-stair creature, ex-Jhaller

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Easy to rout for a kid who kept grinding, moved positions and is taking advantage of his opportunities as the battle ram RB.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

415hawaiiboy
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
MLB: Giants
NFL: Niners

Post by 415hawaiiboy »

My younger cousin played at Mililani with Dayton, same grade. My cuz knew I was a big UH fan and when he told me Dayton was going to play for UH, he was proud of him. Awesome that he’s making such an impact and bringing a lot of pride.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

To take a counter point - just for the sake of discussion.

If a local boy get offers to the mainland, it is his duty to explore that option. Sort of like College, you can go away to school. Be successful, and then come home. Good example is Mariota, this past game.

If Chow went after him, and he stayed, what would have happened?

He is giving back to Hawaii. I think Hawaii is a different kind of place. No matter when you went, stay, or for how long, Hawaii will always be home, and you always feel something for Hawaii.

As much as I want to give local boys the chance, I think it's right to scout the country (and the world) for great players. The best posibile players should be on the team.

Sometimes the beauty of Aloha is louder for mainland kids that come here. Rolo for example. I have no doubt he call Hawaii his home, and in his heart. Even if was to leave the program and work for another school.

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dakineguy »

Yeah the main thing is they all want to play for the state and for their family and teammates hopefully. But Hawaii fans especially love Hawaii kids so if UH football program is going to grow we need to convince the good football players to stay here to attract the fans (not mention they often have big families that will show up to games)
GO WARRIORS !!! PLAY HARD!!!!
Ohana Makou
ex-lounge lizard, ex-stair creature, ex-Jhaller

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:08 am To take a counter point - just for the sake of discussion.

If a local boy get offers to the mainland, it is his duty to explore that option. Sort of like College, you can go away to school. Be successful, and then come home. Good example is Mariota, this past game.

He is giving back to Hawaii. I think Hawaii is a different kind of place. No matter when you went, stay, or for how long, Hawaii will always be home, and you always feel something for Hawaii.

As much as I want to give local boys the chance, I think it's right to scout the country (and the world) for great players. The best posibile players should be on the team.

Sometimes the beauty of Aloha is louder for mainland kids that come here. Rolo for example. I have no doubt he call Hawaii his home, and in his heart. Even if was to leave the program and work for another school.
True, They should always look at what others have to offer. In the end, it's the fit. Some will fit better on the mainland and other will fit better here.
ImageImage

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Correct. Fred Ulu-Perry comes to mind. He was a beast and figure UCLA was the place to go. Afterall, if you want to make it, you have to go to the mainland. But I don't recall-know-or if it was really disclosed. He left the team. Something must have happened. He started as a true Freshman. At UCLA, life should be good, correct?

And came back home to play for UH. Would it be better if he would have started at UH staight out of SL HS?

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:08 am If a local boy get offers to the mainland, it is his duty to explore that option.
I think going to a good Hawaii team would def be a better option than going to a power 5 school sitting in the bottom half of their conference. if you're an elite talent like tua or mariota and a top-5 team wants you, then I would definitely recommend exploring those options.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

They should just go if it makes them happy. I don’t want them here thinking about what happened if they left. They can come back if they choose to do so but I wouldn’t give them a scholarship unless they showed that they could play at the D1 level at the school that they went to.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:08 am To take a counter point - just for the sake of discussion.

No doubt that kids should explore their opportunities. In Mariota's case, if he was a quarterback in Chow's reign, he would have been part of a losing program. For any quarterback entering the pistol offense at Oregon, they didn't get much of a chance to pass as much, check down receivers, etc. Oregon has always had a traditionally good football program so when they went to the playoffs, Mariota gained notoriety. I don't think the Oregon offense helped Mariota much at Tennessee though. He could have been better if he went to a passing team like UCLA or Stanford at the time. Right now, UH does have a winning program with a young offense/defense, so its a good time for the three to five star recruits to jump on Hawaii's bandwagon.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

shrek2 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:08 am

No doubt that kids should explore their opportunities. In Mariota's case, if he was a quarterback in Chow's reign, he would have been part of a losing program. For any quarterback entering the pistol offense at Oregon, they didn't get much of a chance to pass as much, check down receivers, etc. Oregon has always had a traditionally good football program so when they went to the playoffs, Mariota gained notoriety. I don't think the Oregon offense helped Mariota much at Tennessee though. He could have been better if he went to a passing team like UCLA or Stanford at the time. Right now, UH does have a winning program with a young offense/defense, so its a good time for the three to five star recruits to jump on Hawaii's bandwagon.
Shrek I like your positive outlook. Das right, let's get them 4 and 5 star recruits! Need more hanapa'a!!
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.