Post Wyoming Game Thoughts?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post Wyoming Game Thoughts?

Post by WarriorTyme »

I agree this was a collective team victory, but the Defense led the Hawaii Warriors to the exciting win over Wyoming. This years Hawaii Warrior team are some hard-nose, disciplined, mentally tough, never give up “Warriors” that have swag and moxie.

I watched the “Warriors” rotate depth from the sideline, I mean it was hard to tell the difference from the starters and the rotation. This is especially true on Hawaii Warrior Defense, I mean Wow!!!

Talk about the next man up philosophy? This Warrior team actually lives it and opposing teams get frustrated and demoralized because when the clock strikes zero… The Hawaii “Warriors” are on top.

I think the unsung hero of this game is 5’11” 210lbs kick/punt returner Justice Augafa, he is a smart fearless, slippery returner that grabs his lunch box and goes to work. Justice just shows up for work and consistently put the Hawaii Offense in great field position all season. Especially in this game Justice gave the first time starting true freshman QB Chevan Cordeiro great field position to operate.

Playing BYU in Provo is no joke! BYU is a huge physical team and will try to out muscle Hawaii and after that embarrassing loss to Utah State. You better believe BYU is going to make it a point to bring everything they got to beat Hawaii for redemption.

Live Aloha/Play Warrior

Work Grind/Play Swag/Earn Respect/Go Warriors!

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Re: Post Wyoming Game Thoughts?

Post by ubercow »

every single home and road game for this team has sports movie-level drama. if you don't go to games already, you should go. football season tickets were the best purchase of the year.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Cordeiro showed moxie and made the plays when he really needed to step up. After having numerous passes batted down earlier in the game and four quarterback sacks, he pulled the ball down when the defender jumped into the passing lane, scrambled to slip away from the grasp of a rushing defender, and then launched a beautiful pass over another on-coming defender as well as over the reach of the defensive back. Big play catch from Jojo Ward for the score. Good teams find a way to win.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

welcome to college football, chevan, where the dline is bigger and faster than any high school team ever. going to have to learn to believe your coaches on reading the defensive backs and safeties and send that ball down hill before the protection breaks down.

that means a lot of film, a lot of studying opposing defenses and learning the tells of your receivers signaling where they are going depending on their reads.

good luck.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

I watched the replay of the Wyoming game. Chevan did alright for his first start against a really good defense. Some passes were high and off the mark, but like My3Cats said, he made the plays when he needed to. The play calling was conservative, but with a true frosh starting his first game at QB and 6-8 man dropping in pass D I can see why. Overall a good team win, everyone contributed. Our Warriors are finding ways to win instead of lose like in the Chow years, great to see.
This years team has good character and heart.
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

It's clear why we shouldn't start a true freshman quarterback to run this offense. Rolovich needs to learn to punt and kick field goals on occasion when on 4th down.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

cordeiro needs to hit the gym. Cole has average arm strength but Cordeiro was giving me Dru Brown Flashbacks. We can't take that into BYU.

Cordeiro may end up good but im glad he's redshirting, he really needs the developmental time. He's not physically ready yet.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

xer 21 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:16 am cordeiro needs to hit the gym. Cole has average arm strength but Cordeiro was giving me Dru Brown Flashbacks. We can't take that into BYU.

Cordeiro may end up good but im glad he's redshirting, he really needs the developmental time. He's not physically ready yet.
Sorry, but I don't like the Dru Brown comparison because Dru Brown fumbled a lot in his first year and never ran the ball in the second year. The 38 yard touchdown pass was 55 yards in the air. Dru Brown probably could have made that pass but not with a man in his face.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

We need Cole back for BYU.

First challenge, Coaches still having problems with play calling to beat 8 deep press D on our smaller receivers. If BYU can stop our run game, if we can't spread the field vertically and horizontally and if the game plan needs to be conservative we will have to depend on the D. 150 yards passing, short passes won't hack it.

Second challenge, without Cole's arm strength BYU will play our receivers tight. They will disrupt their routes, dbl the slots, flood the passing lanes w 8, punish our receivers when a catch is made and put pressure on Cordeiro to force something.

They will force Cordeiro to bail out of the pocket and run. His wind up to throw telegraphs where he is throwing and he isn't strong enough to make the intermediate throws against 8 deep. To beat the press we need more motion to give Ursua, Byrd and Ward more space to get free. Armstrong-Brown is big enough to create some space but expect BYU to put there best defensive back on him.

The good news is BYU struggles offensively. It may come down to our D, on the road, at some altitude at a tough place to play. At least the weather will be good, no snow. Cold but no snow. :)

This team does find ways to win.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

shrek2 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:48 am
xer 21 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:16 am cordeiro needs to hit the gym. Cole has average arm strength but Cordeiro was giving me Dru Brown Flashbacks. We can't take that into BYU.

Sorry, but I don't like the Dru Brown comparison because Dru Brown fumbled a lot in his first year and never ran the ball in the second year. The 38 yard touchdown pass was 55 yards in the air. Dru Brown probably could have made that pass but not with a man in his face.
Oh I respectfully disagree on your last point. Dru Brown probably could have made that pass but throw it woefully short, which would have been picked by the DB and run back for 6. Thank goodness that Cole has stepped up his game this year, and that Chevan was able to step in on short notice.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

My3Cats wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:14 am

Oh I respectfully disagree on your last point. Dru Brown probably could have made that pass but throw it woefully short, which would have been picked by the DB and run back for 6. Thank goodness that Cole has stepped up his game this year, and that Chevan was able to step in on short notice.
Good one Cats. You always make me laugh.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

shrek2 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:31 am
My3Cats wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:14 am

Good one Cats. You always make me laugh.
Almost, just almost meant it to be half-serious. Sure am glad that Dru wanted to transfer to a school closer to home. I thank him for being a Warrior, but just imagine how the run and shoot would not be running at all this year. \:D/

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I was sold on Cole being the starting QB in the first game.

I'm not sold on Cordeiro after seeing his first game. This is not a knock on him. He did great. By default, he is truley a young kid. Just need more time.