Warrior passing defense???

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Kahaluu Imua Warriors
Starter
Starter

Warrior passing defense???

Post by Kahaluu Imua Warriors »

I don’t normally talk negative about our team but I was looking at the national team stats and came up with some conclusions. We are all aware of our offense, #1 in the country in total offensive and passing offensive, BUT our defense is 126 out of 130. Passing defense IS 129th - second to the last in the nation. What a contrast. But to be honest the offensive is sputtering but in the end they put up good numbers enough to win and I feel this week they are going to get back on track against a good Wyoming defense. And to be positive I think our defensive front is doing great and better every game. In fact if we didn’t play the #2 and #3 Rushing offensives in the country in the early season, we would be in the top 25 in rushing defense.

But the point of the discussion in this thread is what's up with our secondary. The Spartans seemed to not just be open but WIDE open. Two QBs had career passing days against us. What is the problem?

Boy, I hope no one brought this up already.
Last edited by Kahaluu Imua Warriors on Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
www.southseascinema.org

Warriors! Come out and play-i-ay!
The Ha'a is heard, louder and louder.
Okole is kicked.
Now the enemy runs home to cry to their mother.

Kahaluu Imua Warriors
Starter
Starter

Re: Warrior passing defense???

Oh! Warriors 41 Cowboys 27. GO WARRIORS! Ride them Cowboys heehaw!
www.southseascinema.org

Okole is kicked.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

It's ok to talk negative about the Bows. That's what discussion forms are for. We all can agree, disagree, or agree to disagree.

I do agree with your assesment. There were many blown coverages where the opposing team's offensive goes for 40 yards and TD.

But I get the feel that that's a result of these new fancy offensive. If they bite, and judge wrong, it's 40+ yards and a TD. If they bite, and judge correctly, it's a 7-10 yard play.

Just with the games played so far, there seems to be so little interceptions this year..general observation.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

What I see of the secondary is that they played SJSU at the line with no help over the top. So, it was easy for the receiver to catch a lob over the top when one of the two players is facing away from the ball. There also is no closing speed at the safety position. When SJSU was warming up they were just lobbing the ball 30-50 yards up in the air and the receivers just ran sprints downfield to get under the ball. They should have played off the receiver with no help deep. UNR is going to do the same thing but at possibly the tight end position as well as the wide receiver position.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Sometimes it’s just matchups. We didn’t have the players to match up with their receivers. You can tell this when Batoon says that their tightend was a matchup nightmare. Their quarterback thought that they could go over the top of our dbs which is what they did. They had an extra week to practice what they were going to do to us so that helped. By now all of our opponents have tape on us. They know where our weaknesses are so they attack them. Until we find a way to correct those weaknesses I see them pretty much doing the same thing until we show them that it won’t work any more. Sometimes you just need better talent. What really bothers me the penalties that they make which only gives their offenses another set of downs. We aren’t good enough to make those.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

I agree that improvements are needed. Not sure what to make of being ranked so low on D, but winning all but one (which we could’ve won.)
Padello is a stud pass rusher but more pressure might help. And, San Jose St had a tight end that will be playing on sundays.
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

What scares me is that of the teams that we've played so far, none were considered to be pass first teams, and yet to be ranked #129 out of 130. Whoa.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Kahaluu Imua Warriors
Starter
Starter

Love it, many good points and a civil discussion, what a forum should be. Looking forward to more insights and I hope the DB players and their coaches are also reviewing films for improvements and understanding positioning on the field better in certain situations. Duh, I know they are doing just that. Our guys have potential, just keep learning. Improvement in sports is what we all seek after not just winning but winning comes with improvement and we all have fun. Look at the giant team improvement from last year. Go Warriors! Bows in Bowls!
www.southseascinema.org

Okole is kicked.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

One thing I do like about the secondary is that they do have length and we may be able to deny some of the taller receivers in the MWC.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

i think we are going to be near the bottom, statistically, against the pass most of the time because of the following factors:

1) the style of defense we play. we are pretty good against the run so people will pass more. we play a high risk/high reward kind of defense that gives up big plays that forces our corners to play super tight and depends on qb pressure to cause incompletions where coverage isn't there (and when it isn't there we get burned on things like passes to the RB that go for chunk yardage).
2) the opportunity to run more plays. for every 6 minute drive we have, we probably have at least 3 drives of 3 minutes or less because we either score quickly or because the clock stops so much on incomplete passes. Our opponents will have more offensive play opportunities than your average cfb game.
3) teams have to pass against us. when the offense is working, teams are forced to keep pace and pass more than they want to. we saw this with Rice and in the second half of the CSU game.

Perhaps in a couple of years we will have recruited well enough to bolster the defensive front to where we won't have to sell out against the run so much and be able to give the corners more help and the trend will change. Even if we do, I think the defensive philosophy will be similar to what it is now: take chances to cause turnovers and/or negative plays because our offense can and will outscore the opponent if given more opportunities. we've seen early in the season how stringing a couple of 3 and Out's together with qb sacks/tackles for loss can cause a 21-0 score in an instant and change the entire complexion of the game. Whether or not they can do this as the competition becomes tougher remains to be seen. This is a very young defense and it will be fun to see where they go.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Our defense is pretty good. However, we have a lot of new starters playing for a new coach. How is the linebacker pass defense? Pass defense is half the linebacker's responsibility.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

Our opponents have to pass the ball to keep up with our offense for most of the games we've played, so the yardage total against our defense maybe misleading.
I believe its a byproduct of the offense we run.
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Thank our lucky stars that Wyoming's passing game sucks hairy ballz. Warrior pass defense got a break last night.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

My3Cats wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:49 am Thank our lucky stars that Wyoming's passing game sucks hairy ballz. Warrior pass defense got a break last night.
LMAO, that's normally the kind of language I use. I'm glad there's 2 of us on here with very little PC filter. :D lol
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

stranger808 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:56 pm
My3Cats wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:49 am Thank our lucky stars that Wyoming's passing game sucks hairy ballz. Warrior pass defense got a break last night.
LMAO, that's normally the kind of language I use. I'm glad there's 2 of us on here with very little PC filter. :D lol
I like Cat's sense of humor. Cracked me up at times with last year's comments. Oh, btw, yesterday's score of UNR and Fresno does not reflect that Ty Gangi did not play which is why UNR scored only 3. They are going to try to put up big numbers against UH.