Makana
Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Re: *** Official Hawaii vs Wyoming, Game 7 Thread ***

Post by Makana »

stranger808 wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:40 pm for the fans that watched the game, how was Chevan's arm strengths compared to Cole? Is his arm stronger, weaker or on par with Cole.
IMO, I think Cordeiro needs to develop his strength a little more, he was lucky the defense and running game stepped up in a HUGE way. The kid had trouble throwing pass 10 yards, until that last pass where he put everything he had into it which I thought was gonna be picked in the endzone. I know he's a freshman but damn that was more happy feet than Jeff Garcia. Too many times where I saw he had a clean pocket he pulled it down and ran, you could tell he didn't trust his arm strength last night cause it's not like the receivers weren't getting separation.

If Cole McDonald doesn't start, UH is in more trouble than we think against an angry BYU team.
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Observations.............Lows and Highs..............this was a team win.

This team stays together and finds ways to win.

-The D had a great game. Lot's players making great plays. Padello, Tavai, Zeno, Ford's breakup pass in the end zone was huge, too many names to mention.
-Should have rewarded Cordeiro with a field goal in 1Q to take pressure off and instill some confidence. We wouldn't have been in the position we were in later in 4Q. Bad coaching call.
-Running game is averaging 140 yards a game.
-Bad call on Furuta's fumble
-Chevan's mobility a +. I don't like his long wind-up that telegraphs wher he is throwing. Needs to build am strength.
-INT not good
-I like Augafa a lot, we need to get him on the field and get him in open space vs a LB
-4 and 2, wildcat was a bonehead call, the D knew no pass, thy just filled every gap and knew he would follow Furuta. Bad play call.
-Still no play calling to slow down the pass rush and spread the D. Quick toss to a speed back? Pass to speed back in the flat? screen?
-Cordeiro took some hits and maintained his composure, not good regarding getting hit.
-Get Furuta in some space and he punishes DBs. Definetely a weapon to be dealt with in Q4 when Ds are tired,
-Got to give credit to the OL for giving Furuta some space.
-We still need more motion.
-Wished we had a back like Nico. Speed, slasher, power, hard to bring down.
-Cordeiro makes a great scramble, barely gets the ball to Ward and Ward makes a super play. Not enough credit given to Ward for going after and bringing that pass in.

I like this team. Poor fan support. We still haven't played a complete game. Coaches need to figure out how to beat 8 deep and man, press coverage on our smaller receivers and making bad play calling. Every game is coming down to the wire. Exciting Warrior football. We need Cole back for next week. We need to get better. The games will be tougher. Our best shot at winning game 7 will be Nevada and UNLV. If Cole plays we will have a chance against BYU. Utah State, Fresno St and SDSU will be very difficult games if we don't play close to complete games. We may get out coached by Fresno, Utah State and SDSU.

I am proud os this team.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

also a shout out to Armstrong-Brown

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

TheDuke wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:15 am Observations.............Lows and Highs..............this was a team win.

This team stays together and finds ways to win.

-The D had a great game. Lot's players making great plays. Padello, Tavai, Zeno, Ford's breakup pass in the end zone was huge, too many names to mention.
-Should have rewarded Cordeiro with a field goal in 1Q to take pressure off and instill some confidence. We wouldn't have been in the position we were in later in 4Q. Bad coaching call.
-Running game is averaging 140 yards a game.
-Bad call on Furuta's fumble
-Chevan's mobility a +. I don't like his long wind-up that telegraphs wher he is throwing. Needs to build am strength.
-INT not good
-I like Augafa a lot, we need to get him on the field and get him in open space vs a LB
-4 and 2, wildcat was a bonehead call, the D knew no pass, thy just filled every gap and knew he would follow Furuta. Bad play call.
-Still no play calling to slow down the pass rush and spread the D. Quick toss to a speed back? Pass to speed back in the flat? screen?
-Cordeiro took some hits and maintained his composure, not good regarding getting hit.
-Get Furuta in some space and he punishes DBs. Definetely a weapon to be dealt with in Q4 when Ds are tired,
-Got to give credit to the OL for giving Furuta some space.
-We still need more motion.
-Wished we had a back like Nico. Speed, slasher, power, hard to bring down.
-Cordeiro makes a great scramble, barely gets the ball to Ward and Ward makes a super play. Not enough credit given to Ward for going after and bringing that pass in.

I like this team. Poor fan support. We still haven't played a complete game. Coaches need to figure out how to beat 8 deep and man, press coverage on our smaller receivers and making bad play calling. Every game is coming down to the wire. Exciting Warrior football. We need Cole back for next week. We need to get better. The games will be tougher. Our best shot at winning game 7 will be Nevada and UNLV. If Cole plays we will have a chance against BYU. Utah State, Fresno St and SDSU will be very difficult games if we don't play close to complete games. We may get out coached by Fresno, Utah State and SDSU.

I am proud os this team.
I agree with going for the FG to tie the game early and the wildcat. I was thinking WTF.
According to Booby Curran and a video guy standing next to me, the ball was out before Furuta hit the turf. It was on a video that they did not show at the stadium and I don't know if PPV had that view either.

Liked the discipline that they showed. Only two penalities. One PI and one holding. So far we've had one game with one penalty (Navy) and one with two (Wyoming). That's outstanding.

We definitely need Cole back.
ImageImage

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

I still don't know what that INT was. All the receivers except Ursua ran lazy slant routes and the entire OL tried to cut block at the same time. I guess Ursua was supposed to cut back across the field for some convoluted full field screen play?

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dakineguy »

stranger808 wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:56 pm
SundayJam wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:47 pm Highlights or full game replay, please. Some of us gotta work.
I won't be able to see the replay until tomorrow (Sunday) on Spectrum. I think 5-5:30 pm.
They have the game playing now and again in the afternoon.
GO WARRIORS !!! PLAY HARD!!!!
Ohana Makou
ex-lounge lizard, ex-stair creature, ex-Jhaller

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

TheDuke wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:32 am also a shout out to Armstrong-Brown
Beat me to it. 2nd game that Marcus has played really well. I think we will be seeing more from him.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Neighbor wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:31 am I still don't know what that INT was. All the receivers except Ursua ran lazy slant routes and the entire OL tried to cut block at the same time. I guess Ursua was supposed to cut back across the field for some convoluted full field screen play?
Just an outstanding play by their defensive player.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

dakineguy wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:54 am
stranger808 wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:56 pm
SundayJam wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:47 pm Highlights or full game replay, please. Some of us gotta work.
I won't be able to see the replay until tomorrow (Sunday) on Spectrum. I think 5-5:30 pm.
They have the game playing now and again in the afternoon.
spectrum channel 1012 at 5:45pm (Sunday). I have it programed now.
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by stranger808 »

Makana wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:42 am
stranger808 wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:40 pm for the fans that watched the game, how was Chevan's arm strengths compared to Cole? Is his arm stronger, weaker or on par with Cole.
IMO, I think Cordeiro needs to develop his strength a little more, he was lucky the defense and running game stepped up in a HUGE way. The kid had trouble throwing pass 10 yards, until that last pass where he put everything he had into it which I thought was gonna be picked in the endzone. I know he's a freshman but damn that was more happy feet than Jeff Garcia. Too many times where I saw he had a clean pocket he pulled it down and ran, you could tell he didn't trust his arm strength last night cause it's not like the receivers weren't getting separation.

If Cole McDonald doesn't start, UH is in more trouble than we think against an angry BYU team.
I hope Chevan's arm strength is not like Glenn Freitas' arm. That will require a lot of work in the weight room.
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

stranger808 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:37 pm

I hope Chevan's arm strength is not like Glenn Freitas' arm. That will require a lot of work in the weight room.
The reason why Cordeiro wasn't pulling the trigger on deeper routes was Wyoming's coverages. Most of the time Wyoming had two high safeties and mixed zone and man under. They diguisded and mixed coverage well. Most of the time they had some kind of double team on the slots. The receivers weren't getting open and sometimes were confused on which routes to run.

There's no need to be concerned with Cordeiro's arm strength. McDonald's arm is stronger, but Cordeiro has more than enough arm and can make all the throws in the offense. If you watched enough practices, Cordeiro is actually more accurate on deep balls than McDonald. Cordeiro's arm is stronger than Chang's arm when Chang was an upper classman.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Neighbor wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:31 am I still don't know what that INT was. All the receivers except Ursua ran lazy slant routes and the entire OL tried to cut block at the same time. I guess Ursua was supposed to cut back across the field for some convoluted full field screen play?
The play was triple slant out of trips left. Presnap Wyoming showed man free coverage (one high safety and man under). But at the snap they switched to a cover two concept with a right DE also dropping into coverage and a 3 man rush. Cordeiro or some of the receivers may not have recognized the coverage. The OL all cut block, but Wyoming's right DT was able to get into Cordeiro's face which may have affected his read and throw. He was trying to throw to Armstrong-Brown but definitely didn't see that the DE had faked rushing and dropped back into coverage.
https://twitter.com/MountainWest/status/1048813423109132289

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by stranger808 »

uhwarriors wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:43 pm
stranger808 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:37 pm

The reason why Cordeiro wasn't pulling the trigger on deeper routes was Wyoming's coverages. Most of the time Wyoming had two high safeties and mixed zone and man under. They diguisded and mixed coverage well. Most of the time they had some kind of double team on the slots. The receivers weren't getting open and sometimes were confused on which routes to run.

There's no need to be concerned with Cordeiro's arm strength. McDonald's arm is stronger, but Cordeiro has more than enough arm and can make all the throws in the offense. If you watched enough practices, Cordeiro is actually more accurate on deep balls than McDonald. Cordeiro's arm is stronger than Chang's arm when Chang was an upper classman.
Thank you, that eases my concern with Chevan's arm. :D

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by stranger808 »

Reminder, replay of Wyoming v Hawaii on Spectrum 1012, 5:45pm.