Run and Shoot rattled?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Run and Shoot rattled?

Post by UnBiasFan »

I am thinking back to Timmy Chang’s Boise State disaster years ago. They destroyed him.
Then there was yesterday’s game. It wasn’t a disaster, but the system seems to be cracking.

Is it what we are showing on film? Are the cornerbacks being coached to watch clues that both our QB and receivers are giving off. I know Georgia was able to read Colt Brennan’s clues on his snaps and destroy him.

What is it that Cole and company can change up to get back in high gear?

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: Run and Shoot rattled?

Post by Irse »

The Qb and receivers need to make sure they are reading the defense correctly.
ImageImage

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

These next two weeks vs. Wyoming and BYU will be telling. The DL's of those two teams put to shame anything we've seen through 6 games, not even close really. They have some monsters up front.

Buckle up, UH fans. 5-1 start is awesome, but things are about to get really tough.

Irse
MLB: Cubs

Post by Irse »

J-Rod wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:24 am These next two weeks vs. Wyoming and BYU will be telling. The DL's of those two teams put to shame anything we've seen through 6 games, not even close really. They have some monsters up front.

Buckle up, UH fans. 5-1 start is awesome, but things are about to get really tough.
We're going to have to play a lot better than we have been playing. I think we make the bowl game but with not much to spare. BYU, Utah State, Fresno State and San Diego State will all be tough. Nevada, Wyoming and UNLV are definitely winnable.
ImageImage

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

UnBiasFan wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:07 am I am thinking back to Timmy Chang’s Boise State disaster years ago. They destroyed him.
Then there was yesterday’s game. It wasn’t a disaster, but the system seems to be cracking.

Is it what we are showing on film? Are the cornerbacks being coached to watch clues that both our QB and receivers are giving off. I know Georgia was able to read Colt Brennan’s clues on his snaps and destroy him.

Regarding Timmy Chang, I didn't think he was very good when I saw him. In fact according to the posted article, the one game Hawaii actually beat Alabama, he got pulled.
https://forums.operationsports.com/foru ... tched.html

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Receivers were not on the same page as the QB. Rolovich had to a receiver aside, hw wasn’t happy. To me it is a coaching issue. They can’t figure out how to beat a press with eight back in the passing lanes. Much smaller windows to throw to, dL jumping up in passing lanes thus blocking some passes and causing Cole to throw passes higher.

We need more motion by the receivers. I liked receivers going deep w the rb isolated in the flat with an lb. they made 15 yards on that play. A quick back should be able to beat an lb in open space 1 on 1.

I also liked the quick toss on an option outside the de in a three man front. Again have the receivers take the dubs and lbs downfield.

We need better play calling and schemes. We have the personnel.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Need to work on Cole to Jojo connection. A lot of incompletes on that one. I like how Marcus played. Best game I have seen him play. Our blocking needs to get better. Cole starting to feel the pressure and when your qb feels pressured you lose your timing. Cole did seem a bit off on his accuracy. Rolo said before the game that they need more reps to get better and it shows. SJS coach and player said that they were going after better matchups and they did that. They knew exactly what they were doing. To matchup sometimes you need the talent. I like that we keep battling and don’t give up. I haven’t seen that in any of the games we have played so far. The plus would be the 99 snaps we had on offense. The tape would be something the players can learn from. The bad is our upcoming opponents will have more to look at too.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

J-Rod wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:24 am These next two weeks vs. Wyoming and BYU will be telling. The DL's of those two teams put to shame anything we've seen through 6 games, not even close really. They have some monsters up front.

I agree. Wyoming’s d is the one I have been waiting to see. If we play well against these guys I think we will be bowling. But like JR said now it really gets tough. I think that our D will need to show up. Our special team needs to do a better job. I don’t know at this point if we can get 2 more wins. I hope we do.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Well that's disappointing. Our run game has just continuously been bottled up by these defenses with only four or five in the box. Of course Furuta has been the most successful against them but only getting chunk yards. idk.

As much as I'd like to not see our QB take more hits, maybe we should have a bit more designed runs added in, especially early on. UCF's Milton had a horrendous game against SC State a few weeks ago and ever since then, they've tried to have him on more QB draws or designed runs on their earlier drives and I think it helps with at least getting him settled in and in a rhythm. Or maybe we just need more variety of runs instead of just the read-option handoffs.

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

I agree with Duke. And, as defenses adapt, our O needs to do the same.
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I think the RPO part saved the day. Or I should say The Run plays. This goes back to when fan booooed. UH does need to run the ball. The Furuta drive proved that point.

Let's not forget, there were a lot of 3-out with JJ's R&S. Many only will remember the highligts. R&S can be exposed. IMO, that was part of the reason why Mac was not as successful on offense vs JJ, while I felt Moniz was a better athlete/QB. The Defense watched enough film to figured it all out.

The first 2 UH games, there was no tape, no film. Now we all know what Rolo is going to run. There may be a trick play here and there, but this is pretty much it.

I think games going foward will be a lot closer, where it's will be a grind and a bit of luck. No more high flying blowouts.

rodfather
All-American
All-American

Post by rodfather »

Grinch wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:52 pm I agree with Duke. And, as defenses adapt, our O needs to do the same.
True. People will look at film and try something. Some said the old Run and Shoot got killed by the zone blitz in the 1990s, I know in the JJ days some guys tried disguising coverages so WRs and QBs get confused. Wyoming probably will at the SJSU game and will try that or come up with something else. So UH will have to be ready to adapt. This is why offenses and defenses evolve. Which I think makes football great, anybody still use the Wing T or the Wishbone or the Split T today? Or any one still uses a 5-2. A few teams are starting 5 DBs now as their base package because spread offenses have been the rage for the past decade.

As my old sensei said "For every move there is a counter. And a counter for every counter, for every counter..."
"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat." --- Jigoro Kano, The Founder of Judo

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers

Post by Palolo_2LA »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:40 am
UnBiasFan wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:07 am I am thinking back to Timmy Chang’s Boise State disaster years ago. They destroyed him.

Regarding Timmy Chang, I didn't think he was very good when I saw him. In fact according to the posted article, the one game Hawaii actually beat Alabama, he got pulled.
Are you kidding me about T Chang not being a good QB? I guess the HS and college passing records mean nothing to you? How many records you broke?
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:54 pm
shrek2 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:40 am

Are you kidding me about T Chang not being a good QB? I guess the HS and college passing records mean nothing to you? How many records you broke?
Stats mean nothing if you can't pass when it counts. I've seen him throw the ball in the ground when the receiver was wide open in the middle. If you want to look at stats, he holds one NCAA record and that is the one for the most interceptions. I look at Milton and Tua and I see more potential in them than I ever saw in Chang.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

This will be a difficult game for Wyoming. It is a long road from Laramie to Honolulu.

Wyoming's D has not been that stellar giving up a lot of points and a lot of passing yards with minimal sacks. Their offense is enemic. Wyoming could only muster 17 points vs Wolford! And the most they have scored is 19. Neither their passing game or passing D has performed well so far.

I like our chances if the coaches come up with a good game plan. We should hold Wyoming under 24 and if we take care of the ball our chances to make it to 6-1 is very good.