Post San Jose State Game Thoughts?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post San Jose State Game Thoughts?

Post by WarriorTyme »

One of the posters here said:

"Derrick Odum is SJSU's DC. He was June Jones' DB coach at SMU from 2008 to 2014. Odum practiced every day against the RNS for 7 years. He has more experience against the RNS than any DC in the country."

That showed yesterday, Derrick Odum knew his stuff about defending the RnS. Coach Brennan and Rolo have a close friendship so there is familiarity in coaching between them. Give the very big and athletic SJSU team a bye week to rest & prepare for Hawaii, add this was a homecoming game and here comes another tooth and nail dogfight at SJSU house.

I understand that Hawaii has been underachievers since Norm Chow took over, but to schedule Hawaii as your homecoming game is a little disrespectful. Usually teams schedule a cupcake team for the homecoming game for an easy win.

SJSU Defensive Coordinator had the team so prepared Cole McDonald had to improvise twice for TD. Cole was running out to extend the play and had to pitching or shovel pass or underhand toss the football to WR's for 2 Hawaii TD's. Nobody was expecting McDonald to pitch the ball into the end zone, that took some moxie and guts.

Hawaii Special Teams is still a concern. The Hawaii Secondary is still a concern.

The swing pass to the RB in the flat has torched the Hawaii in the Army game and again in the SJSU game. Tall fast athletic TE and WR have torched Hawaii secondary again.

The Hawaii coaches and players need to study the SJSU game film because teams are going to use the Army & SJSU film to attack Hawaii offense, defense and special teams.

Great win in a 5 OT thriller.

Live Aloha/Play Warrior

Work Grind/Earn Respect/Play Swag/Go Warriors!

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Post San Jose State Game Thoughts?

Post by poidog »

That weak late hit penalty changed the complexion of the game. If that doesn't get called, sjsu offense goes to the sideline and perhaps UH scores and sjsu's confidence is rattled for the rest of the game and/or they switch QBs since they came into the game with QB issues.

Also, the game would have been different if Furuta could play earlier. His presence affects the defense by him.juat being out there.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Jahlani Tavai better be picked as MWC defensive player of the week because nobody else played great games this week!

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

poidog wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:41 am That weak late hit penalty changed the complexion of the game. If that doesn't get called, sjsu offense goes to the sideline and perhaps UH scores and sjsu's confidence is rattled for the rest of the game and/or they switch QBs since they came into the game with QB issues.

Also, the game would have been different if Furuta could play earlier. His presence affects the defense by him.juat being out there.
He is playing injured. He really should not have been needed. We will need him down the road. Our other backs need to step up their game. We need another back who can make their own holes.

Okeke seems to get those calls. He needs to adjust. Hensley needs to work on his holding calls too. He got called for one the last game too. These are the kinds of penalties kills your drives or extend theirs. We work so hard to get them to 3rd and long then we give them a first down with a stupid penalty. We get a nice gain only to have it called back by a penalty.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dakineguy »

Jahlani Tavai is becoming one of my most favorite players in a long time. I hope he stays healthy. Glad for the win but I was thinking a win with this game would make me be happy about our future and so I am but not as much as I thought I would be. I already sent my donation in so you guys better win...................just kidding I would support the Warriors either way but WIN! LOL I hope they figure it all out by the next game. I think the win shows perseverance they didn't give up. But obviously there wouldn't have been any overtime if they were executing better.
GO WARRIORS !!! PLAY HARD!!!!
Ohana Makou
ex-lounge lizard, ex-stair creature, ex-Jhaller

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

If Furuta can't go, I'd like to see Rolo move Kaiwi back to Fullback. He was at Fullback for two years.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

there are only three seniors starting on offense and defense. armstrong-brown on offense and tavai and choi on defense.

19 starters will be returning for 2019.

5-1 to close the first half of the season is outstanding. can they win 5 or more of the 7 remaining games?

sometimes it's been ugly, but this team doesn't fold or crumble. they come out for the next play and play their heart out on each play. they never give up.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

I liked Rolo's post game interview. Down to earth and seemed really comfortable with himself and to me, that indicates that he is comfortable with the team.

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

I like our speed/athletic backs in first half, and Furuta as the defense tires. For a big back, he has quick feet, good balance, and punishes defenders once past line of scrimmage.
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

There's a lot of talk about Furuta but I think that if he goes against the likes of BYU, SDSU and Fresno State we may see more fumbles. Those teams are really physical.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

i'd like to see furuta coming out of the backfield catching passes in stride headed downfield. that would be something to see, furuta loose in the secondary at full speed.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Tsai is really getting ahead of himself with today's article saying
"The close games … the overtime battle in San Jose … the “believe” mantra … for Warrior followers, it’s starting to have an ’06-’07 vibe. "
http://www.hawaiiwarriorworld.com/footb ... the-state/
We haven't even played the meat of the schedule with BYU, Fresno State, San Diego State and Utah State. Right now, we have the hope of putting up a good game against these teams. False optimism. Next up is Wyoming who had a runner with a 11 yard rushing average last game. We have a tough time with physical offensive lines.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:16 am Jahlani Tavai better be picked as MWC defensive player of the week because nobody else played great games this week!
There were so many keys to the game. And I actually thought the game could have gone on forever. The defensive play by Tavai was the key IMO. It forced them to kick. And the rest was history.

Honestly, I felt the momemtum was on SJ side. UH seems to be a bit out of gas. Tavai's play saved the day.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Great experience for the Warriors as they are learning how to win, no matter the obstacles or the deficit. And this was on the road as well.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

national stats:

qb: cole mcdonald #1
receiving: john ursua #1
scoring: john ursua #1

ap poll: uh gets one vote.

hope the local sports fans come out this saturday to see hawaii play wyoming. this team is entertaining and winning.