shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: Post San Jose State Game Thoughts?

Post by shrek2 »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:16 am Jahlani Tavai better be picked as MWC defensive player of the week because nobody else played great games this week!
This freaking piss... me off that they picked Mykal Walker of Fresno who had 4 tackles, 2.5 for a loss and had a career interception while his stats are diminutive to 14 tackles, 3 for a loss and 1 for a sack of 5 yards. Come on MWC, get with the program and reward the right players for being the best in Conference! Who da freak made the choice and why?
Last edited by shrek2 on Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:11 pm There's a lot of talk about Furuta but I think that if he goes against the likes of BYU, SDSU and Fresno State we may see more fumbles. Those teams are really physical.
Different RBs for different defenses. Furuta against the sjsu's and the army's and Holly against the Rice's and other bigger teams. We can use different styles when the situation calls for it, or at least it feels that way at the moment.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

shrek2 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:39 pm
shrek2 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:16 am Jahlani Tavai better be picked as MWC defensive player of the week because nobody else played great games this week!
This freaking piss... me off that they picked Mykal Walker of Fresno who had 4 tackles, 2.5 for a loss and had a career interception while his stats are diminutive to 14 tackles, 3 for a loss and 1 for a sack of 5 yards. Common MWC get with the program and reward the right players for being the best in Conference! Who da freak made the choice and why?
There really no mentioned of "Wow 5 OT in a college game" on the news. No one is even talking about it (on the mainland). Not saying it's the same as a BCS champtionship, I figure that is note worthy, Hawaii or not. Many sports writers are rather blind to Hawaii. I do think there is an "agenda" to promote certain players (not always on purpose). Meaning, some Writers want to promote certain players because that was the guy they focused on when they were in HS. So when they make it to the pros, they can say...I know that guy when he was 16 years old.

Sort of like UH trying to promote Jeff Sydner for the Heisman, and Micheal Carter got more rushing yards in the game.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:55 am
This freaking piss... me off that they picked Mykal Walker of Fresno who had 4 tackles, 2.5 for a loss and had a career interception while his stats are diminutive to 14 tackles, 3 for a loss and 1 for a sack of 5 yards. Come on MWC, get with the program and reward the right players for being the best in Conference! Who da freak made the choice and why?
There really no mentioned of "Wow 5 OT in a college game" on the news. No one is even talking about it (on the mainland). Not saying it's the same as a BCS champtionship, I figure that is note worthy, Hawaii or not. Many sports writers are rather blind to Hawaii. I do think there is an "agenda" to promote certain players (not always on purpose). Meaning, some Writers want to promote certain players because that was the guy they focused on when they were in HS. So when they make it to the pros, they can say...I know that guy when he was 16 years old.

Sort of like UH trying to promote Jeff Sydner for the Heisman, and Micheal Carter got more rushing yards in the game.
I blame Matlin and the rest of the UH AD for not issuing a formal notice or protest of their choice. Clearly the numbers are there for Tavai but not for Walker. I can only imagine that they thought Toledo was tougher than San Jose.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

We all like to think the game will take care of it self. But you are right, the AD is very important in "promoting" branding, marketing, and whatever terms they use know.

Greg Byrne was the AD at Arizona. He did an great job, and was hired away to Alabama last year. My point is, Tua is doing great in his own right. But there is the entire Alabama athletic machine behind everything they do. They are behind Tua. Promoting, pushing, getting the name and brand out. It can only be good for the University and the program.

In a strange way, I'm "gald" UH is not just throwing money into athletics. I don't think UH got the right AD (yet). People talk about committment and support. It's a waste of money if they just throw money at it.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:55 am
This freaking piss... me off that they picked Mykal Walker of Fresno who had 4 tackles, 2.5 for a loss and had a career interception while his stats are diminutive to 14 tackles, 3 for a loss and 1 for a sack of 5 yards. Common MWC get with the program and reward the right players for being the best in Conference! Who da freak made the choice and why?

The Warriors got a mention on FOXNEWS with some highlights, Fox spotlighted only 2 college games and Hawaii's 5 OT win was one of them. but I don't think many here watch FOX—obviously, I do. lol
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

stranger808 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:45 pm

The Warriors got a mention on FOXNEWS with some highlights, Fox spotlighted only 2 college games and Hawaii's 5 OT win was one of them. but I don't think many here watch FOX—obviously, I do. lol
I don't watch fake news. Oh wait, that was real and did happened...

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Best post game celebration I've seen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVGtE8bPoyE

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

I couldn't watch the game. I like what I saw in every facet of the game in the replay. This is one helluva team we have this year. I also saw we had poor field position and crappy officiating.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Not to overlook this weekend's game but I feel if we can play Fresno, SDSU, USU and BYU fairly even, we would have done really well for the season. But first we gotta get by a team that had 300+ yards rushing in their first game. BYU had a big turnaround this year from bottom 20 last year to top 25 this year. They had a bigger turnaround than we did.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

shrek2 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:45 pm Not to overlook this weekend's game but I feel if we can play Fresno, SDSU, USU and BYU fairly even, we would have done really well for the season. But first we gotta get by a team that had 300+ yards rushing in their first game. BYU had a big turnaround this year from bottom 20 last year to top 25 this year. They had a bigger turnaround than we did.
Huh? BYU is 3 - 2. Yes, I'd say we are similar to all of the teams listed above. At 5 - 1, I'd say we've already done very well on the season. Look, Hawaii is rarely ranked for obvious reasons. We are the most disadvantaged and overlooked program in the country. If not for Gov. Burns, we would probably not have a cfb team.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

SundayJam wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:38 pm
shrek2 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:45 pm Not to overlook this weekend's game but I feel if we can play Fresno, SDSU, USU and BYU fairly even, we would have done really well for the season. But first we gotta get by a team that had 300+ yards rushing in their first game. BYU had a big turnaround this year from bottom 20 last year to top 25 this year. They had a bigger turnaround than we did.
Huh? BYU is 3 - 2. Yes, I'd say we are similar to all of the teams listed above. At 5 - 1, I'd say we've already done very well on the season. Look, Hawaii is rarely ranked for obvious reasons. We are the most disadvantaged and overlooked program in the country. If not for Gov. Burns, we would probably not have a cfb team.
Ferd Lewis on strength of schedule.
http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/10/0 ... 3426bfd0cc
BYU played four teams from the Power 5.
"BYU is 3-2 and its games have included victories over Arizona and Wisconsin and losses to Cal and Washington."

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

shrek2 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:08 am
Ferd Lewis on strength of schedule.
http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/10/0 ... 3426bfd0cc
BYU played four teams from the Power 5.
"BYU is 3-2 and its games have included victories over Arizona and Wisconsin and losses to Cal and Washington."
Yes, well...now they're 3-3 after a 45 - 20 pounding by Utah State. I haven't seen any BYU games this year so I can't say much about them.

If I hadn't made it clear earlier, BYU is in a far better position than Hawaii in terms of support for the program. BYU is always likely to be better than Hawaii. Too bad they aren't.