Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

HEKILI KELIILIKI

Post by ulua »

Do you guys think will get to see him get some playing time this year?

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Re: HEKILI KELIILIKI

Post by stranger808 »

ulua wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:34 pm Do you guys think will get to see him get some playing time this year?
I'm guessing he's the #2 power back? perhaps if Furuta goes down, but we're kind of deep at RB. Holly, Furuta, Reed, and Dale. I almost forgot, Melvin Davis, another big back.
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

I'm guessing Melvin Davis won't even play this year. Or maybe he'll at least get a few carries on senior night. Sucks he's had to deal with the injuries

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I feel bad for guys who don't-never got to play. Especially for those who have high hopes and dreams. At college, it's a different level. They were the best from their high schools, and beleive they are just as good when their number is called. Life isn't fair, we all get that. It's all about the win. The Team.

Anyone recall a player Renford Frias? He was the back up RB in high school to Hekoti Fakava at Moanalua. Then again Fakava's back up at UH. Well, not exactly. Frias was small, maybe 5'7" and 160lbs. He got garbage mintues and 2 TD to his stats. Most of them were the O-line tossing him over. The point is, this memory will last a life time for him.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

I think with Dayton Furuta moving from linebacker to running/blocking back, they probably felt there was a need that wasn't being fulfilled at that position. So, it turns out that the best athletes are on the field rather than the best at the position which I like. At the next level, all running backs have to be able to block.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

To add to the Furuta Lovefest, I like the way he blocks too. Most small RB will only give you one block, meaning they will go low, trip the D-line, and that's it (that's all they can and want to do). If the QB has to scamble, and the Lineman stands back up, the QB is on this own.

Furuta blocks like an Offense Lineman, man-up, in-your-face, because he can, got the size, unless they are setting up the Shovel pass. Then his blocks look a bit half-okole, like most RBs.

LA808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by LA808 »

Not sure if we will see him or not, don't know why he hasn't had playing time as of yet. However, IMHO, I think Keliiliki suffers from a failure to fall into a "box". It appears for UH, you are either a speed back or a power back. At 6'2" 225 lbs, with 4.5/4.6 speed he is neither a bowling ball runner or a slashing runner. However, he he appears to be a big back with speed. Hopefully, he can find a place in the offense.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Correct, it seems like UH only need two types of RB. And he is right in the middle. He is younger than Furuta, so he can wait it out.

Perhaps he can take the Steven Lakalaka approach. He was quick, fast and awesome. However, the job went to a smaller-faster guy. Recall how he look at his Senior year. It looked like he gain 20lbs and chow down some mean plate lunches. Lakalaka create the nich that was vacant by the departure of Joey Iosefa. UH. miss having that big RB. And Lakalaka was labeled as the Bruising RB in his Senior year.

Perhaps Keliiliki can fill that role after the departure of Furuta.

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

I agree we are deep at the RB position which is a nice problem to have, but since he already burned his RS year i wouldn’t mind seeing him get a couple plays in just to see how he is. Also hope Melvin Davis gets a little playing time befor the ymseason ends as I believe he is a SR this year?
With all he went through he never gave up

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

ulua wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:34 pm Do you guys think will get to see him get some playing time this year?
Does he have a redshirt year?

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

TheDuke wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:28 am Does he have a redshirt year?
Redshirted last year.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

LA808 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:20 am Not sure if we will see him or not, don't know why he hasn't had playing time as of yet. However, IMHO, I think Keliiliki suffers from a failure to fall into a "box". It appears for UH, you are either a speed back or a power back. At 6'2" 225 lbs, with 4.5/4.6 speed he is neither a bowling ball runner or a slashing runner. However, he he appears to be a big back with speed. Hopefully, he can find a place in the offense.
How about a move to DE/Rush end?
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Just remember, he's only a rs-freshman so he's got four years to develop the talent that he had before his mission. I think he'll eventually come around and surprise a lot of people with his athleticism.

CityOfWalrus
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by CityOfWalrus »

He's been pretty badass on my NCAA14 dynasty i've been playing lol. Has 15 TDs in his Sr year all from runs 5 yds or less.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

shrek2 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:59 pm Just remember, he's only a rs-freshman so he's got four years to develop the talent that he had before his mission. I think he'll eventually come around and surprise a lot of people with his athleticism.
This. He has lots of time to get on the field...