game week interviews

Link

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: *** Official Hawaii vs SJSU, Game 6 Thread ***

Post by cabanalane »

J.R can speak.

Going OT, and hard for me to make this statement during the Chow era, but I will make it now. Hawaii should be invited to join Pac-12. There is no reason not to. Some teams like SJSU don't belong in the Pac-12. You don't go the SJSU to play football. You go there hoping to work for Apple, Google, or Cisco. SJSU Admins probably are not interested in football.

I think UH want it's football program to be better.

When everyone was in the WAC, some teams got invited to join MWC. Then some teams got invited to join the Pac-10. Not just UH, but there are legit MWC (WAC) teams that do belong. They should look into a merger. maybe..

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

I predict a tough game, like most are. SJSU seems to always play us tough.

Pertaining to Pac-12 invite. I don't think it will happen, in our lifetime. Our TV market is too small and all we have is football to offer. We have to be at a high (Power-5) level in all the major money-making sports, It also takes cash to get into the Pac-12, I believe we're in the black, no? Stadium size is an issue too if the state plans to build another one, a smaller one. IDK
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Hawaii is going to have a tough time containing their 6'5, 250lbs tight end, Josh Oliver. He is their leading receiver and Hawaii doesn't have a good cover except for possibly Jahlani Tavai who also has to spend time watching for run with their big offensive line.

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

I respect SJSU, but I don’t think SJSU can beat Hawaii outright. What I’m concerned about the Hawaii Warriors letting other teams and their fans in the bleachers have hope which leads to momentum swinging.

From what I saw this season so far this young team has moments of undisciplined lapses. They make mental errors that lead to penalties or turnovers or dropped passes or ease off when they have huge leads. Some of this was on the coaches and some of the players.

As we know that as this young team gets more game experience, more time in the weight room, the coaches and players develop their knowledge deep into the playbook in all 3 phases of the game. And as this team keeps building experience it has the potential to get the level of the 2006-2007-2010 Hawaii Warrior Teams, maybe better.

No doubt this young Warrior Team has swag and displayed relentless physical and mental toughness to never give up. They believe that nobody can stop them in offense and defense and it shows with a 4-1 record.

But there is always room for more awesomeness and swag, excuse me I mean “improvement”.

Live Aloha/Play Warrior

Work Grind/Earn Respect/Play Swag/Go Warriors!

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

shrek2 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:25 pm Hawaii is going to have a tough time containing their 6'5, 250lbs tight end, Josh Oliver. He is their leading receiver and Hawaii doesn't have a good cover except for possibly Jahlani Tavai who also has to spend time watching for run with their big offensive line.
At least on the mainland, there are lots of "basketball" kids that are average in baseketball and at around 6'5" are too short to play small forward at the next (college) level. And are not quick enough to play Guards.

When they switch to football, they are automaticially a beast, because of their height and maybe jumping abilities.

That's why I like Unga. The throw to him is above height. When he catches it, the positives already began just by being tall and big.

R&S is not about the TE. I like to see Rolo find some guys like that.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

cabanalane wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:34 am
shrek2 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:25 pm Hawaii is going to have a tough time containing their 6'5, 250lbs tight end, Josh Oliver. He is their leading receiver and Hawaii doesn't have a good cover except for possibly Jahlani Tavai who also has to spend time watching for run with their big offensive line.
At least on the mainland, there are lots of "basketball" kids that are average in baseketball and at around 6'5" are too short to play small forward at the next (college) level. And are not quick enough to play Guards.

When they switch to football, they are automaticially a beast, because of their height and maybe jumping abilities.

That's why I like Unga. The throw to him is above height. When he catches it, the positives already began just by being tall and big.

R&S is not about the TE. I like to see Rolo find some guys like that.
Did you see Stanford's comeback win over Oregon. The worst thing Oregon could do was to give the ball up at midfield because Stanford could easily count on 10-20 yards by playing jump ball. Oregon had more talent but Stanford threw the ball to these wide receivers, one who was 6'7 ex-volleyball player who just tapped the ball with one hand into his two arms. Josh Oliver is one of those receivers that Hawaii doesn't have an answer for except to try to keep him on the line. He's the kind of possession receiver that teams go to on third down and more than 4 yards to go. Its all about the hands and blocking out at that height, not the speed.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

The popularity of Gronkowski at the Pro level first caught my attention of using (super tall) TEs. Not saying he was the first, but his success was when I first noticed. Wow he is 6' 6".

That seems to be the "future" now.

Basketball is heading the other way with Small Ball. You don't need to be Shaq or David Robinson to play Center.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Don't forget Danny Amendola who was 5'11 and at times the favorite target for Brady in crucial plays. But in reference to height, they've been around for years like Russ Francis, same size as Gronkowski who is one of Hawaii's favorite sons. Back to the topic at hand, I think Hawaii's got to stop their offense as they showed that SJ can score against a tough defense in Oregon and their secondary has 6 picks in three games so they will challenge the R&S. Against UC Davis, Washington State and Oregon, those are pretty good stats.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Russ Francis..wow, that's right. Have not heard that name in a long time. Used to watch wresting at Blaisdell when his brother Bill Francis was wresting.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

cabanalane wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:58 pm J.R can speak.

Going OT, and hard for me to make this statement during the Chow era, but I will make it now. Hawaii should be invited to join Pac-12. There is no reason not to. Some teams like SJSU don't belong in the Pac-12. You don't go the SJSU to play football. You go there hoping to work for Apple, Google, or Cisco. SJSU Admins probably are not interested in football.

I think UH want it's football program to be better.

When everyone was in the WAC, some teams got invited to join MWC. Then some teams got invited to join the Pac-10. Not just UH, but there are legit MWC (WAC) teams that do belong. They should look into a merger. maybe..
It's not just about football. It is more about financial commitment by the state, the school and the community which is lacking. Logically we are a good fit. Financially it will never happen because the state will not make the commitment. The Pac-12 isn't about sharing their wealth with wannabes.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

This game will be won on offense. The tightend will get hie catches.

1. We cannot afford drops......we started fast against Army. Held them, Got the ball back drove for a second score and dropped a ball on second and 5 and a sure 1st down. What could have been 14-0 became a lost of ball and an Army drive for 7. We lost the ball on downs again on the next drive on a drop and Army drove for another 7. We had momentum. It could have been a different ballgame.

2. We will need to run the ball effectively and pass protect against a 3 man rush to force SJSU to play 6-7 guys in the box..

3. SJSU will be aggressive in man-press coverage to throw our timing off on routes. Our smallish receivers need to break the press. We need more motion to uncover the defensive coverages.

4. If our receivers can break press coverage we need to anticipate blitzes and utilize bubble screen passes, shuffle passes and passes to the RBs.

5. The obvious....no turnovers and stop the run.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

cabanalane wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:49 am Russ Francis..wow, that's right. Have not heard that name in a long time. Used to watch wresting at Blaisdell when his brother Bill Francis was wresting.
Whatever happened to that dude, Russ Francis? Once he retired I haven't heard a peep about him.
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

This thread makes me miss the days of threads like "we better not take (insert opponent) likely!" Because we can't do that against SJSU. Yes, they haven't won a game but guess what? I've seen UH lose games like these in the past (1994 UTEP, for example).
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

stranger808 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:55 pm
Whatever happened to that dude, Russ Francis? Once he retired I haven't heard a peep about him.
He ran against Patsy Mink in 2000 and did some celebrity type events. My favorite memory of him is when he made a dirty play while at SF and was not called for a penalty, he winked at the end zone cameras that caught it. He was on Bay Area KNBR and said aloha at the end of the interview. He's still got Hawaii in him.

Anyway, SJSU will probably come out physical against all of UH's receivers which may cause a problem to Cole making the quick passes because they may turn their direction. New challenges for Cole and the second half of the season where the MWC is catching up to the R&S after watching film.