Should we even call Rolo's R&S a R&S?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Should we even call Rolo's R&S a R&S?

Post by cabanalane »

I understand Rolo is mixing things up and adding his own twist to the R&S.

With all the games played, I beginning to think Rolo's R&S is more RPO rather than R&S.

Actually, I see it more as RPO. Do you agree?

Or maybe my eyes can't focus (or the camera don't show) what all the Receivers are doing. But I don't see R&S. I just see RPO.

R&S gets people excited, thinking about the glory days. And the program did need the excitement.

Nothing wrong with that. With RPO, there's a bit of trickery and deception. Where as R&S (JJ's R&S) was all laid out there. We are going to pass, you see that, now try a beat us. Get ready, because we will beat you.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: Should we even call Rolo's R&S a R&S?

Post by Irse »

I think there is more RnS than RPO
ImageImage

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

It's RNS with the run game including some RPO and read option components.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

I’ve also seen pistol and I. Trick plays like the one where they motion Ursua. It is a good offense. They have really improved in the redzone. I also like the group of runningbacks that we have. They all have something ot offer.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

The core is the RnS/Four Wide and once in awhile they change to the RPO.
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

I think some may see more RPO because all the RPO plays look the same while the RnS plays dont always look the same...

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

poidog wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:58 am I think some may see more RPO because all the RPO plays look the same while the RnS plays dont always look the same...
Good point. True.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Run, Pass Option & Shoot???? :-
But then of course "RPOS" just doesn't look right :lol:

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

BigWave96744 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:44 am Run, Pass Option & Shoot???? :-
But then of course "RPOS" just doesn't look right :lol:
Awesome.. :lol:

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

From what I can see Rolo and Smith have installed the 2010 Hawaii RnS with the RB in the Pistol and the RB might move to either side of the QB. Stutz has been advocated installing the RPO into Hawaii offense with QB Dru Brown. Going away from Norm Chow Pro-Set offense to various types of Spread Offenses such as the Zone Read, RPO and this season add-in the RnS. Thats the beauty of the RPO and RnS the concepts are similar as far as the QB and WR's reading the defense before and after the snap and the RB can be in the pistol or off to one side.

With a base 4 WR spread offense that has some RPO, RnS and other wrinkles like multiple TE big boy football goal line formations. It's no wonder the defenses are having a tough time stopping Hawaii Offense.

Cole McDonald knows the RPO and Zone Read from high school and his time watching Dru Brown. But what has impressed is his commitment to learning the RnS so quickly. In fact, the entire Hawaii Warrior roster has to get high praise for their commitment to playing athletic, quick, speed burning fast, tough and being extremely smart to learn new RnS Offense, Cory Batoon's Defense and Special Teams so quickly.

But there is room for improvement.

Live Aloha/Play Warrior

Work Grind/Earn Respect/Play Swag/Go Warriors!

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

I refer the Run and Shoot. The Run and Shoot Yourself in the Foot just doesn't cut it.

Reduce the turnovers. Reduce the penalties. Reduce the dropped passes.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

rodfather
All-American
All-American

Post by rodfather »

Run and shoot is a cool name. Keep it. All R&S offenses that use 4 wide as a base and have the base concepts from Mouse I feel should be classified as Run and shoot. Everybody who used it has adapted the offense to keep up with the times. JJ used some Walsh concepts. Kevin Gilbride, John Jenkins, Jack Pardee put their own spin on it. The Lions with Barry Sanders had their own wrinkles. Now if people added a TE as a regular in the personnel then alot of people would say it is no longer Run and Shoot. (Goalline packages notwithstanding) With a TE it is just a regular spread type system. I remember reading in a book saying that the teams who played Jim Kelly and the K-Gun (3 WRs and 1 TE) after playing a run and shoot team in the 1990s felt comfortable against the K-Gun. The defenders said the game felt slower with a TE in the mix.
"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat." --- Jigoro Kano, The Founder of Judo