Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: *** Official Hawaii vs Army, Game 4 Thread ***

Post by RedZone »

stranger808 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:24 am
shrek2 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:17 am
stranger808 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:00 am Nice game by Army, congrats to them—they're a good and well coached team.
Execution on our side, we need work. I don't like Furuta in there as our feature back, not enough quicks in him. Furuta's a nice player, good power runner/blocker, but I think Holly or Reed should be getting more reps—they're more of a threat to break it for more yards, Furuta had space on a shovel pass but not enough quicks, missed cut back lanes too. Army was dropping 8 in coverage, we needed to run, use screens out of the backfield, wheel routes to the RB and the shovel pass. Furuta's not our best option in running or pass catching out of the backfield. If Cole had more experience in handling the offense, only then I would say Furata starting is okay, but Cole needs the threat of the RB running and catching to help him against these 8-man in coverage defenses. Ursua for all his greatness as a slot still tries to catch the ball with his shoulders—resulting in drops. Armstrong-Brown, time to give someone else a shot at his WR position—not reliable (hands). In the last minute of the game, the lob to Ursua, I don't like that one. Armstrong-Brown, if he has to be in there use him for the lob. Armstrong-Brown, at 6'3" is also a HS champion in the high-jump. Head scratcher.

Our defense did enough for our team to win this game, they had a couple of bad spots and calls go against them. Holding Army to 28 points, should have be a win for us. Overall the D did good. Almost forgot, #16 a DB, missed a crucial tackle, didn't even make an attempt to tackle the FB. SMH
I believe they were 11 yards out and the defensive back was riding Ursua out of bounds. In my eyes this was pass interference. Also, Cole had to throw because there was a delayed blitz and the defender had him if he held it a split second longer.
I agree, I thought a flag should have been thrown too.
Ursua gave up on the play let himself get run out of bounds. In the endzone our receivers need to be more physical. You can’t count on an official to make a call. If we don’t fix that we will continue to struggle when are in the redzone.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

RedZone wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:40 am
I believe they were 11 yards out and the defensive back was riding Ursua out of bounds. In my eyes this was pass interference. Also, Cole had to throw because there was a delayed blitz and the defender had him if he held it a split second longer.
Ursua gave up on the play let himself get run out of bounds. In the endzone our receivers need to be more physical. You can’t count on an official to make a call. If we don’t fix that we will continue to struggle when are in the redzone.
You know what is strange to me? Why doesn't Rolo use Cole's legs. Cole ran once up the middle on an undesigned play when he couldn't find a receiver. Why not roll Cole out more and move the pocket? If Cole rolls out, he has the automatic run or pass option. This puts more pressure on the D. When the D drops 8 in coverage, Cole's holding onto the ball longer and longer. Roll 'em out and let him use his legs. Any thoughts?
Last edited by stranger808 on Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Sux. The offense was not the offense that we've come to love in the first three games. Back to too many 3 and outs. Defense did not make enough stops and Army drove on them all day long. TV announcers asked why Hawaii wasn't taking long shots downfield to loosen up Army's defense. We make fun of Collie and his stone hands, but Warriors dropped way too many today too. Humbling. Long flight home.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

My3Cats wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:52 am Sux. The offense was not the offense that we've come to love in the first three games. Back to too many 3 and outs. Defense did not make enough stops and Army drove on them all day long. TV announcers asked why Hawaii wasn't taking long shots downfield to loosen up Army's defense. We make fun of Collie and his stone hands, but Warriors dropped way too many today too. Humbling. Long flight home.
I thought too that Rolo was being too conservative on the long ball, but Army was dropping 8 in coverage. This is why I thought we had the wrong person in at RB. I like Furuta, but not against an 8 in coverage D. If the D drops 8 in coverage, hand the ball off to the RB, throw wheel routes to the RB, draw plays (QB or RB), roll out, etc.. Take what the D gives you. Holly or Reed would have been a better choice at RB against this team, because of their quicks, and their running ability. I believe those 2 would have been able to get Army to play a more honest defense—it would have opened it up more. IDK, what do you guys think?

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

stranger808 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:04 am
My3Cats wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:52 am Sux. The offense was not the offense that we've come to love in the first three games. Back to too many 3 and outs. Defense did not make enough stops and Army drove on them all day long. TV announcers asked why Hawaii wasn't taking long shots downfield to loosen up Army's defense. We make fun of Collie and his stone hands, but Warriors dropped way too many today too. Humbling. Long flight home.
I thought too that Rolo was being too conservative on the long ball with Army dropping 8 in coverage. This is why I thought we had the wrong person in at RB. I like Furuta, but not against an 8 in coverage D. If the D drops 8 in coverage, hand the ball off to the RB, throw wheel routes to the RB, draw plays (QB or RB), roll out, etc.. Take what the D gives you. Holly or Reed would have been a better choice at RB against this team, because of their quicks, and they're better runners. I believe those 2 would have been able to get Army to play a more honest defense—it would have opened it up more. IDK, what do you guys think?
Who else knew that the first play in 3rd quarter would be a running play? I did. So did Army. I think our defense is getting better. I think our offense has taken a step backwards. If you are going to have a passing offense your receivers need to make the catch.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

stranger808 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:00 am Nice game by Army, congrats to them—they're a good and well coached team.
Execution on our side, we need work. I don't like Furuta in there as our feature back, not enough quicks in him. Furuta's a nice player, good power runner/blocker, but I think Holly or Reed should be getting more reps—they're more of a threat to break it for more yards, Furuta had space on a shovel pass but not enough quicks, missed cut back lanes too. Army was dropping 8 in coverage, we needed to run, use screens out of the backfield, wheel routes to the RB and the shovel pass. Furuta's not our best option in running or pass catching out of the backfield. If Cole had more experience in handling the offense, only then I would say Furata starting is okay, but Cole needs the threat of the RB running and catching to help him against these 8-man in coverage defenses. Ursua for all his greatness as a slot still tries to catch the ball with his shoulders—resulting in drops. Armstrong-Brown, time to give someone else a shot at his WR position—not reliable (hands). In the last minute of the game, the lob to Ursua, I don't like that one. Armstrong-Brown, if he has to be in there use him for the lob. Armstrong-Brown, at 6'3" is also a HS champion in the high-jump. Head scratcher.

Our defense did enough for our team to win this game, they had a couple of bad spots and calls go against them. Holding Army to 28 points, should have be a win for us. Overall the D did good. Almost forgot, #16 a DB, missed a crucial tackle, didn't even make an attempt to tackle the FB. SMH
You know what? The announcer said it was a good no call. I've seen it called as pass interference in the NFL where the qb throws it up in the area of a receiver just to get the call. I'm missing something. Can anybody explain why this was a good no call?

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

stranger808 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:04 am
I thought too that Rolo was being too conservative on the long ball, but Army was dropping 8 in coverage. This is why I thought we had the wrong person in at RB. I like Furuta, but not against an 8 in coverage D. If the D drops 8 in coverage, hand the ball off to the RB, throw wheel routes to the RB, draw plays (QB or RB), roll out, etc.. Take what the D gives you. Holly or Reed would have been a better choice at RB against this team, because of their quicks, and their running ability. I believe those 2 would have been able to get Army to play a more honest defense—it would have opened it up more. IDK, what do you guys think?
I agree with you regarding throws to the running back, but I didn't list it as one suggestion because it doesn't look like UH has it installed yet, i.e. swing pass or flare pass. My guess is that Furuta may have been in there for blocking protection because Army's three man rush was pressuring Cole. On the first sack, after the DE ran past Manning, Holly whiffed on the block and Cole was sacked from the blind side.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.