Post Rice Owls game thoughts?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post Rice Owls game thoughts?

Post by WarriorTyme »

Rolo is doing the right thing by running the ball to keep the defense honest and keep the clock running. Hawaii Fans are finicky and will moan and groan at Aloha Stadium when a pass is dropped. The boos for running the ball is nothing new for this Aloha Stadium Hawaii fan base. We did it during the June Jones and McMackin eras at Aloha Stadium too.

I for one didn’t think this team would be 3-0 and playing this fast. With so many new players learning new schemes in all 3 phases of the game, I figured it would take 6 games or more for the team to start playing fast. We got to remember that this team is still learning and is really young. Just imagine next season team will be loaded with returning starters and depth.

Rice played a variety of defensive schemes which incorporated fire zone blitz concepts. Rice blitzed the Safety or Corner Back from the outside pretty regularly. Good job by the RB’s to pick up the blitz.
Hawaii RnS teams always have a tough time against teams that run Pro Style offense like Wisconsin, Georgia, Rice, Fresno State, BYU, SDSU, Wyoming, Notre Dame, Boise State just to name a few.

It’s no surprise Hawaii was in a dogfight with Rice but they show relentless grit and toughness to get the win.

I still read in other teams blogs that they still think Hawaii is a flashy finesse fast break team and is a paper tiger when meeting up pro style big boy football running teams with tall fast athletic WR’s.

The term “Paper Tiger” refers to something that seems threatening but is ineffectual and unable to withstand challenge.

The naysayers are still naysaying, Hawaii has got to clean up the mental mistakes and penalties.

Army Football team is really good, they lost against a very good Duke Football team on the road and opened up a can of whoop *** on a high scoring Liberty University team coach by Turner Gill.

Army would love to prove that Hawaii Football is nothing more than team full of “Paper Tigers” at West Point, NY.

Work Grind/Earn Respect

Live Aloha/Play Warrior

Play Swag/Go Warriors!

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: Post Rice Owls game thoughts?

Post by shrek2 »

CSU beat Vanderbilt of the SEC with 17 points in the 4th quarter and CSU lost to a CU football team that beat Nebraska. Coupled with the Navy win over Memphis, Hawaii is doing a bang up job in the first three games.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:49 pm CSU beat Vanderbilt of the SEC with 17 points in the 4th quarter and CSU lost to a CU football team that beat Nebraska. Coupled with the Navy win over Memphis, Hawaii is doing a bang up job in the first three games.
Arkansas not Vanderbilt. Vanderbilt beat up Nevada.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

EITSwarrior wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:57 pm
shrek2 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:49 pm CSU beat Vanderbilt of the SEC with 17 points in the 4th quarter and CSU lost to a CU football team that beat Nebraska. Coupled with the Navy win over Memphis, Hawaii is doing a bang up job in the first three games.
Thanks. Nobody will be overlooking UH again. I don't think Navy did but CSU possibly might have.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:45 pm
Thanks. Nobody will be overlooking UH again. I don't think Navy did but CSU possibly might have.
I think CSU had no idea what to expect against us. New QB, new RBs, three new receivers, “new” offense, no game tape to help with game planning. If we played CSU this week I don’t think Hawaii beats them. I think that’s why Rice was more competitive. They had a couple games worth of game tape on the “new” RNS to help better prepare them.

couz808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by couz808 »

EITSwarrior wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:13 pm

I think CSU had no idea what to expect against us. New QB, new RBs, three new receivers, “new” offense, no game tape to help with game planning. If we played CSU this week I don’t think Hawaii beats them. I think that’s why Rice was more competitive. They had a couple games worth of game tape on the “new” RNS to help better prepare them.
Rice was better than their record says. They were competitive against Houston which killed Arizona. I believe they are gonna turn some heads in their conference.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Padello is an amazing player to watch. He is also our best pass rusher. Watching tackles trying to block him makes me laugh. I really liked our goal line defense. Stopping Esupka at the one was huge. Our coaches are doing something right.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

couz808 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:55 pm
EITSwarrior wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:13 pm

Rice was better than their record says. They were competitive against Houston which killed Arizona. I believe they are gonna turn some heads in their conference.
I agree. I thought it would be a much closer game. Our defense did a better job than I thought they would. Rice has that power game which they try to change up with their speed back. And they have that big receiver that gives everyone the fits. If we focus on him they will sneak the tightend or Trammel over the middle of the field. I expected Walter to have a better game running the ball but our defense did a pretty good job containing him.

We can’t be dropping passes, making stupid penalties and coming out soft early in the 3rd quarter. Rice made some nice adjustments which affected our offenses precision and timing. Rolo said that he wasn’t happy with the communication between Cole and our receivers. There was also a break down between players and the coaches which resulted in a safety. Rolo said it was his fault. I am waiting for a game where he doesn’t feel the need to come out and say this. I don’t know why the penalties are back. JR needs to clean it up. He is the leader of that group. Set a good example. I don’t think our offense has been tested yet. We have some better defenses coming up in our schedule. They will have film and they will be ready.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I didn't like the way the fans were booing. Not during the game. They can boo if they wish after the game, if UH lost. Considering the state of how things are, booing is the last you want to do, to hurt this team. Yes, players need to be mentally tough, but they are still humans, and feelings hurt.

There is nothing wrong with the running plays. I think those who were booing just want to throw the ball on every down. In fact, I wish there were more run plays in R&S. Did people forget JJ's version of R&S were a lot of 3-and-outs? I don't believe those are true football fans.

The point I want to add is Cole's reply in the post-game interview. It's not a big deal, but he used the words "we don't care" when asked about the fans booing. I get what he is saying, and agree 100%. But some fans may take that the wrong way, especially in today's over sensitive world.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

RedZone wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:12 pm Padello is an amazing player to watch. He is also our best pass rusher.
The way he ran low was awesome. Like his National Guard brother said, "we don't care if he is 6'8"."

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Couple of questionable things I couldn't figure out especially since I was listening to the Rice broadcast and the UH stat line.
1) Was Dayton Furuta the deep man on the kickoff? Was this because they had all the hands people up the field? If so, shouldn't they have had Dayton Furuta up field since his background is at linebacker? This put Hawaii deep into their own territory. Should they have one of the receivers in the back?
2) Why did Cedric Byrd not fair catch the ball on the punt that ended up on the 1 yard line? Was there a fear of a possible fumble?

All-in-all I think it was a good "team" win since Jojo Ward made a key reception at a crucial time. Dakota Torres secured the ball on an onside attempt. Freddy Holly scored a key touchdown to make it a two score game. The team's gotta feel good about what happened. There are other things which were crucial like the Zeno Choi recovery which flipped the momentum in the game.

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dakineguy »

I think the booing is just backseat driving. Annoying. It might just be me but it seemed like later they scored a touchdown with the exact same run play through the middle that was stuffed repeatedly. Did you see Jahlani Tavai's finger? I think it was pointing the wrong way maybe just his glove? Since he came back on to finish the game. Lots of stuff that went wrong. They have a lot to work on and they still won the game. If they can get it together before the next game their streak will continue.
GO WARRIORS !!! PLAY HARD!!!!
Ohana Makou
ex-lounge lizard, ex-stair creature, ex-Jhaller

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

A win is a win is a win. That being said, there are many things for UH to work on for all three facets, in addition to preparing for Army's triple option.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

shrek2 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:30 am
1) Was Dayton Furuta the deep man on the kickoff? Was this because they had all the hands people up the field? If so, shouldn't they have had Dayton Furuta up field since his background is at linebacker? This put Hawaii deep into their own territory. Should they have one of the receivers in the back?
Furuta was a beast in game 1. Then the fumble. I didn't think it was his fault really. Then we don't see him. He is no way a player that can catch a kick off. He is a RB. Almost anyone but him. (I didn't look) perhaps Sharsh or some other 2nd or 3rd teir receivers should be back there. After than, we don't see Furuta again.

Holly is awesome. But I don't want to see Furuta "punished" by not getting playing time.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

cabanalane wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:46 am
shrek2 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:30 am
Furuta was a beast in game 1. Then the fumble. I didn't think it was his fault really. Then we don't see him. He is no way a player that can catch a kick off. He is a RB. Almost anyone but him. (I didn't look) perhaps Sharsh or some other 2nd or 3rd teir receivers should be back there. After than, we don't see Furuta again.

Holly is awesome. But I don't want to see Furuta "punished" by not getting playing time.
Okay, you saw what I heard. I agree that they needed someone who had spent their life catching since you gotta secure the ball first. With the new ruling also, it seems like they should've taken the ball at the 25. Yeah, I also think that Furuta has the heart but I think they need to give him the situations he can succeed in. He did have one carry in the game that I can recall but I think they have a long memory in his fumble in the first game, one of the things Brian Smith they will bench someone for.