Makana
Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Re: Cole McDonald

Post by Makana »

Been watching the draft for 20+ years and McDonald is at best a 7th round pick. Short to intermediate arm strength is above average but his passes start to float over 30 yards. IMO, I don't see anything wrong with his throwing motion and wouldn't change a thing, it's the side arm motion that doesn't work in the NFL. Footwork definitely needs work, some offenses such as the WCO are predicated solely on footwork, 3, 5 and 7 step drops with hitches in between on 5 or 7 step drops at times. Footwork also plays a big factor when driving the ball down field accurately with touch, many times you see McDonald's feet too close together and not stepping into his throws.

If I had to put an NFL comparison on Cole McDonald it would be Blaine Gabbert, only McDonald is not gun shy like he is.
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Cole's transformation from a high school option quarterback to a run and shoot quarterback has been nothing but spectacular thus far. Now if he can get coached up even more to encompass what Makana has noted, then Cole can definitely progress to a higher level. I put that on Stutz and Rolo now and going forward. Cole sounds like the kind of player who is coachable and willing to do what it takes to learn.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

This was only game number 4 for Cole, he'll be ok. The coaches could help him by rolling him out, left side, right side, it gives the offense the advantage as Cole can tuck and run. That has to give the DC nightmares.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

stranger808 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:12 pm This was only game number 4 for Cole, he'll be ok. The coaches could help him by rolling him out, left side, right side, it gives the offense the advantage as Cole can tuck and run. That has to give the DC nightmares.
They thing with that is the QB is only as impressive as the receivers. Brown was awesome, had all the positives going into his year 2. Then Ursua got hurt. All of a sudden, Brown suck, hold to ball too long, make the wrong reads, weak arm, etc.

So Rolo's last minute effort to get these mainland speedsters was a must have (in addition to Ursua). Without them, Cole may suck as a QB just as well with the likes of Kala Timoteo.

I really wish to see Timoteo blossom. But often times, things happened for a reason, and in the end, the coaches know best.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Timoteo no longer on the roster. So if he blossoms it would be from life after football?
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

My3Cats wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:05 am Timoteo no longer on the roster. So if he blossoms it would be from life after football?
Not the same, but kind of like Jamal Farmer. He "left" the team. And football just stopped for him completely. No one said or publicly said why. That talent was wasted.

Yes, UH never missed a beat with Travis Simms, so it was like Farmer who? How awesome it would have been with both Backs. And you add Jeff Sydner too.

Then again, there may not be enough balls to go around.

Farmer did do alot while he was with UH, so that's why we still remember him.

I don't think we will talk about Timoteo anymore.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

I kinda wish we had a better qb coach that could tell him to put more air in the ball or which receiver to he should go for that's open. It seemed like he was going to where the coverage was and it helps if someone from the field or booth can let him know where the open receiver is. Seemed like he came up short on some of his passes at SJSU on the longer routes.

honu888
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by honu888 »

So the rumors that were flying around regarding Cole was a knee injury to internal bleeding and undisclosed injury. Whatever the case may be. Does anyone have info if Cole will be in any condition to return by the upcoming BYU game?

I’m proud of what Cordeiro accomplished this past weekend and give him props for his performance and not showing any signs of quivering against a real tough Wyoming defense. If Cole is not cleared to go it will be interesting to see how Cordeiro’s performance will be away and in a hostile environment. Coaches will have to make sure to get him mentally prepared if his number is called again.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

honu888 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:45 pmDoes anyone have info if Cole will be in any condition to return by the upcoming BYU game?
from what the coach said on the coach rolovich show, he said he's hoping cole can play against BYU. he probably wouldn't say that if it was a long term injury with a set timeframe, so there is a possibility he may play this week.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

See guys that why we can't start that GOAT discussion bc Cole is off to a good start, but longevity and productive makes one a GOAT. He's injured and hopefully returning soon. #letitplayout
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Does this mean Cordeiro just used up his redshirt?

What exactly is "internal bleeding?" Meaning a bruise is an internal bleeding, no?

According to social media, Cole's mom said he will be back. Mom's not the doctor, but Mom knows, right?

BTW, was it "ethical" for Rolo to have someone dressed up in his uniform? Unlike a trick play, I think this is sort of deceptive. I'm sure there is no rules broken at all. But maybe NCAA will now create one. Maybe Rolo should have the other #13 take snaps and pass the ball. But the uniform clearly said "McDonald."

Who was that, just wondering. I thought Cole got a hair cut at first. Then it was like, the guy is kind of short(er).

That was awesome by Rolo, but I kind of see that as the Ace card. Was it too early to pull that stunt?

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:20 am Does this mean Cordeiro just used up his redshirt?

What exactly is "internal bleeding?" Meaning a bruise is an internal bleeding, no?

According to social media, Cole's mom said he will be back. Mom's not the doctor, but Mom knows, right?

BTW, was it "ethical" for Rolo to have someone dressed up in his uniform? Unlike a trick play, I think this is sort of deceptive. I'm sure there is no rules broken at all. But maybe NCAA will now create one. Maybe Rolo should have the other #13 take snaps and pass the ball. But the uniform clearly said "McDonald."

Who was that, just wondering. I thought Cole got a hair cut at first. Then it was like, the guy is kind of short(er).

That was awesome by Rolo, but I kind of see that as the Ace card. Was it too early to pull that stunt?
Cordeiro has not used up his redshirt year. Starting this year, they can play in up to four games and still redshirt.

Nothing unethical about having Kolney Cassel dress up as McDonald. It was McDonald's idea.
ImageImage

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Irse wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:29 am
Cordeiro has not used up his redshirt year. Starting this year, they can play in up to four games and still redshirt.
Thank you for the clarification. With all I heard, I thought it was the "first four games" as in the season, rather than "his" first four games.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:33 am
Irse wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:29 am
Thank you for the clarification. With all I heard, I thought it was the "first four games" as in the season, rather than "his" first four games.
Irse is right. The new rule is a player can play in 4 games at anytime during the season and still redshirt. The old rule was a player would lose his redshirt year if he played after the first 25% of the season which generally meant the first 4 games.

This new rule can and should be used very strategically. You definitely don't want a QB coming in at the end of a game to take a knee and use one of the four games. That's why Cassel who is a 6th year senior was brought it at the end of the Navy game and not Cordeiro or Moussa. The permutations are endless but the extreme would be a player could play in the last 4 games of the season including a bowl game and still be redshirted.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

That's great for players like Cordeiro or Moussa, but from a philosophical POV that almost does not sound right. The team need to commit and live and die with the guys they determine to be playing. That's almost like getting that extra playing year. Like they get to play for 5 years.

So it's like teams now have an entire year to decide, rather than to trim the roster at the start, to determine who is in and who is out.

All this is good, good for the players, good for the program.

Not sure if this make sense, but there are 3rd or 4th string guys, that get their time to get in, maybe only for 1 or 2 games. Instead, that opportunity is given to the hot-shoot redshirt Freshman, which will get many more opportunities later in their college career. It get it, it's what's best for the team.

Guys like Cassel will never get to play (Yes he did, just an example). It make better sense to insert both Cordeiro or Moussa whenever there's the chance as long as they keep it within the 4 game limit.