All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Re: Cole McDonald

Post by ulua »

We made headlines for having an Imposter QB......LOL

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... li=BBnb7Kz
Hawaii beat Wyoming on Saturday night, 17-13, to move to 6-1 on the season and claim early bowl eligibility. Before the game, though, there were uh, some interesting tactics deployed by Hawaii to disguise the status of its starting quarterback, Cole McDonald.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

honu888 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:45 pmDoes anyone have info if Cole will be in any condition to return by the upcoming BYU game?
news update: there's a good chance he's playing http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2018/10/09 ... ainst-byu/

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

ulua wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:47 pm We made headlines for having an Imposter QB......LOL

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... li=BBnb7Kz
Hawaii beat Wyoming on Saturday night, 17-13, to move to 6-1 on the season and claim early bowl eligibility. Before the game, though, there were uh, some interesting tactics deployed by Hawaii to disguise the status of its starting quarterback, Cole McDonald.
Whenever UH makes positive national headlines, its gotta help recruiting and national recognition for other considerations for the players and standings.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Whoa, first time I saw Moussa tonight against Fresno. Maybe he was playing against the third and fourth string defense but he looked good. Cole still has a mature attitude and can run in the open field.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

never understood why people counted him out without seeing what he can do

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

We will have to see how the rest of the season goes.

Fresno has a very good football team.

Cole has a few more games to get things back on track. We need to finish strong.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

shrek2 wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:30 pm Whoa, first time I saw Moussa tonight against Fresno. Maybe he was playing against the third and fourth string defense but he looked good. Cole still has a mature attitude and can run in the open field.
True, by that time, the game is over. This is not a knock agaist him, but I really didn't see anything all that impressive. He got an arm, true, all UH QBs should in the R&S. I just saw a young kid with potential that need more time.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

cabanalane wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:17 pm
shrek2 wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:30 pm Whoa, first time I saw Moussa tonight against Fresno. Maybe he was playing against the third and fourth string defense but he looked good. Cole still has a mature attitude and can run in the open field.
True, by that time, the game is over. This is not a knock agaist him, but I really didn't see anything all that impressive. He got an arm, true, all UH QBs should in the R&S. I just saw a young kid with potential that need more time.
He could put more air under the ball on the 55 yard pass that Jojo Ward could not catch up to and there was more air under the ball for the touchdown. Cole McDonald does not put much air on the ball and tend to be more on the line which makes it easier to defend. Especially against small receivers with speed, you need to give them time to run under the ball with accuracy.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Good point. The arch was much higher on Moussa's throws.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Not knowing what kind of injury Cole had makes it difficult to judge him at this stage but it was significant enough to make him miss a game. I am not going to speculate on his injury but in the paper today he stated that he is fully healed so going forth there really should be no excuses as to his performance.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

I don't get all this talk about Cole not getting the job done.

He is executing the coaches game plan which sucks. It has sucked since the Army game. With eight deep, press coverage on shorter receivers, the receivers are not getting to where they need to be when they need to. This throws the timing off. With LBs deeper the windows to throw through are much smaller and the targets are not big targets. You have to throw over LBs to the short receivers who are getting tagged by DBs with little room for YAC because of less space and separation on short passes. The margin for error is tighter. You also see a lot of miscommunication between the QB and receivers, mostly on the part of the receivers and there have been a lot of crucial drops. When a three man line can get to Cole it means the receivers are not getting open against eight man coverage.

Going on fourth down when you don't have plays with high odds of beating an 8 man coverage is not smart. It just puts the D and the TEAM in a tenuous position. Unless the coaching staff come up with a better game plan the TEAM will struggle.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

One thing I thought they should have done after the Army game was fake the throw and either throw to the other side or give the receiver time to beat the coverage. Then I see Fresno doing that and I wonder why UH never did that yet again in my mind. My stream of ESPN2 was lousy and I missed what one of the announcers was saying about Cole throwing the ball from his hips. I could never see that. If he's winding up then the pass is being telegraphed.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

shrek2 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:13 am One thing I thought they should have done after the Army game was fake the throw and either throw to the other side or give the receiver time to beat the coverage. Then I see Fresno doing that and I wonder why UH never did that yet again in my mind. My stream of ESPN2 was lousy and I missed what one of the announcers was saying about Cole throwing the ball from his hips. I could never see that. If he's winding up then the pass is being telegraphed.
Yes his throwing hand starts from a very low position. Kinda like he is winding up.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Did not make MWC honors but made national honors as Manning Award of the week. Any positive news for the program brings in potential recruits to Hawaii. Congrats to Cole.
https://hawaiiathletics.com/news/2018/1 ... -week.aspx

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

True. Dru Brown was watching Colt Brennan on TV when he was a kid. And end up playing for Hawaii. (Then left.)

So some kid right now on the mainland have been watching UH on ESPN and Stadium app, and saying maybe I can play for UH when I grow up, after highschool. "I want to be like Cole McDonald. I got the same hair."

PS. TBH, it most likely will be "I can play for UH if I have no other offers."