*** Official Hawaii vs Rice, Game 3 Thread ***

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
BigWave96744

*** Official Hawaii vs Rice, Game 3 Thread ***

Post by BigWave96744 »

In Week 0, Rice trailed Prairie View 28-19, at Home, going into the 4th Qtr. They score 12 points to squeak a victory of their FCS Opponent.

They have a bipolar offense, rushing for 310 yards and passing for 87 yares against PV, then against Houston they run for 147 yards and pass for 292 yards.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: *** Hawaii vs Rice, Game 3 Pregame Thread ***

Post by poidog »

I watched the Houston @ Rice game. I was underwhelmed by Rice's scheme, but impressed by their physicality. Their passing offense consists of heavy use of play-action and deep throws down the sideline to their one tall receiver. Houston didn't show up until the 2nd half, but once they did it wasn't much of a game. Once Rice had to go to the shotgun they weren't very effective. They aren't built to play from behind, so again the recipe for success is to get a big lead and then hang on. If we can be stout up the middle on D and not fall for their playaction fakes, we should be okay.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

If we can stop the run, we don't have to worry about the play action pass. Just rush the passer.
ImageImage

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Their 232 lb running back worries me. That guy can rumble. Then they throw in their speed back who they will also throw to. We have struggled against tall receivers. This could be another game where we will have to score a lot of points to win. Rice has started quick in their 2 games. We have started off quick but have been outscored in the second half. This is the game where I feel it is time for our defense to make a statement. To start strong and finish strong.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

poidog wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:23 pm I watched the Houston @ Rice game. I was underwhelmed by Rice's scheme, but impressed by their physicality. Their passing offense consists of heavy use of play-action and deep throws down the sideline to their one tall receiver. Houston didn't show up until the 2nd half, but once they did it wasn't much of a game. Once Rice had to go to the shotgun they weren't very effective. They aren't built to play from behind, so again the recipe for success is to get a big lead and then hang on. If we can be stout up the middle on D and not fall for their playaction fakes, we should be okay.
Rice's HC Mike Bloomgren was the OC for Stanford for the last 5 years. looks like Rice is running a Stanford type power run game with play action and an occasional shot down the field when the D loads the box.

Nisei
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Padres

Post by Nisei »

Anyone with a high football IQ know why the shovel pass wasn't run a single time against Navy? Is it because of the Navy defense's discipline in the trenches because of practicing against the flexbone?

O.Ranks
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by O.Ranks »

Nisei wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:20 pm Anyone with a high football IQ know why the shovel pass wasn't run a single time against Navy? Is it because of the Navy defense's discipline in the trenches because of practicing against the flexbone?
They ran one on the last drive of the half. Only got a couple yards though.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Nisei wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:20 pm Anyone with a high football IQ know why the shovel pass wasn't run a single time against Navy? Is it because of the Navy defense's discipline in the trenches because of practicing against the flexbone?
Rolo channeling Bill Belichick. Don’t expect to see the same use of the running backs each week. Things are going to be mixed up from week to week. Shovel pass will be back.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

The Shovel pass works well when the defense is super aggressive in rushing the QB, if they're read and react defense it won't work so well. Think of the Shovel pass play as a screen pass. The O-lineman "let" the defensive lineman rush through, and the QB shovels/passes the ball past the rushing D-lineman to the waiting RB/WR. It's a great way to slow the aggressive pass rush.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

stranger808 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:57 pm
The Shovel pass works well when the defense is super aggressive in rushing the QB, if they're read and react defense it won't work so well. Think of the Shovel pass play as a screen pass. The O-lineman "let" the defensive lineman rush through, and the QB shovels/passes the ball past the rushing D-lineman to the waiting RB/WR. It's a great way to slow the aggressive pass rush.
I concur. This is probably also why UH ran the shovel only once, because Navy wasn't attacking the QB.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

I am really looking for our defense to come out firing on all cylinders. I would really like Rice to air it out a little more and test our secondary.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

Kauai79
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Kauai79 »

Where on TV to watch this game?

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

Kauai79 wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:49 amWhere on TV to watch this game?
spectrum sports (src: https://hawaiiathletics.com/schedule.aspx?path=football )

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

At the beginning of the season, they were predicting that this would be one of two teams that Hawaii could beat but as I look at the past history of Rice versus Hawaii and how they played Houston, this is going to be a tough team to beat. There is no way Hawaii should be favored by 17. They have a physical wide receiver to match their running back that probably rivals the wide receivers they had for CSU.