Navy post game thoughts

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Navy post game thoughts

Post by xer 21 »

Just got back from the game, have some thoughts from what i could see with my end zone vantage.

i loved rolo's clock management on the last drive of the first half and our last scoring drive of the game. I also loved his confidence on 4th down. Calling deep shots on 4th down is ballsy as hell and tbh, those kinds of gambles im ok with sometimes. Didnt like how he started the play calls in the third quarter though, felt we should have kept attacking vertically (and tbf, we did return to that in the 4th quarter).

McDonald to me made some good steps forward, but had some regression. he's deep balls looked even better today and some of his throws in the intermediate game were really sweet and perfectly placed. that said, he got away with a LATE throw over the middle to byrd (shoulda been picked), did almost kill a drive with a really bad throw to the sideline, and his pocket awareness wasnt up to the levels he displayed in the CSU game. That sack fumble was EXACTLY the type of thing Dru Brown did to kill games. I dont want to sound too harsh. He was generally really on it tonight and his deep passes were really nice and he shredded navy's coverages. Just that we need to be aware, he WILL have a poor game. I want to see how he handles that and if he can fight through, because there are still mental errors present that will eventually surface. Still, man, hard not to be excited about him. He has major confidence and places balls mostly well.

The receivers, welcome to the stage, JoJo. glad we got our wideouts more involved, it was nice to see three people involved instead of just two. but damn, byrd and Ursua had some BAD drops. both bounced back though and made some clutch catches but its just a reminder that the focus needs to always be there. cant complain really, the drops didnt really kill any drives, im just picking nits. Ursua balled out and so did Ward.

Holly had a nice game. He didnt always make the right choice but he does seem to have decent vision and burst, just a little clumsy on his feet running in traffic. He was fun to watch. What happened to Furuta though?

The defense got really lazy in the secondary. I get it, Navy never throws, but that TD was 100% laziness. hoep the d line uses this to learn against Army, because they got pushed around a bit at times getting caught up in Navy's trickery with their options. some great moments but some discipline issues, many of the big plays were just a matter of over pursuit or bad lane discipline.

Overall i think an improvement from the CSU game. loved the vertical attack we had, love the lack of penalties, and man, i really think people are gonna have trouble all year defending our slots. McDonald is making a believer out of me fast even in spite of his brain farts in the pocket.

Also for real Navy, what the hell was that weird stopped play on 3rd down? lol.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

BigWave96744

Re: Navy post game thoughts

Post by BigWave96744 »

Great pregame:
Raptors fly by after the Nation Anthem
AC/DC Back in Black
Billy V introduction of the starting Defense
Then team running out to Hawaii 5-0 along with members of the Army

No Haka

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Things I noticed:
- Cassell & Cordeiro warmed up in the 4th, then Cassell got the nod to close the game out
- Rolo suited up lots of scout teammers, including true frosh walkons
- no personal foul for the team
- oline pretty disciplined for a young unit
- Meskell is perfect on FG & PAT after 2 games

- Concessions ran out of certain food items by half time
- Lower parking was pretty much full an hour before kickoff. Next week don't come too late as the bandwagon will be full
- don't forget the new bag rule when coming into the stadium

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

BigWave96744 wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:34 pm Things I noticed:
- Cassell & Cordeiro warmed up in the 4th, then Cassell got the nod to close the game out

- Lower parking was pretty much full an hour before kickoff. Next week don't come too late as the bandwagon will be full
I wonder if he went with Cassell ove Cordeiro, because of how well Cole is doing so he figure, Red Shirt Cordeiro and let cassell be number 2?

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

ulua wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:04 pm

I wonder if he went with Cassell ove Cordeiro, because of how well Cole is doing so he figure, Red Shirt Cordeiro and let cassell be number 2?
My hunch is that it just didn't make sense to put cordeiro in just for mop-up duty. If there was still time to run the offense without putting the game at risk he would have played. But if it's just to close out the game, why not let the senior get in there and get his name in the stat book. No sense to burn one of the 4 allowable redshirt games just to take a knee...

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

My friend and I had a good laugh at the stadium when we said to each other, ok we need this drive to take some time off of the clock and give the defense time to rest and regroup... And then we scored in one play. I think there will be more games like this where the defense will just have to hang on as long as they can and protect a lead.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

The TV announcers made some good points about who to play next after Cole in this game. With the new 4 games before red-shirting rule, they speculated Rolo was saving Cordeiro and Moussa's games just in-case Cole got hurt down the line. Rolo felt like they could win with all 3 QB's. Cole got banged up against CSU and the coaches weren't sure if he was a go this game, according to the tv guys. Anyways, if Cole gets hurt, Rolo has 6 games between Cordeiro and Moussa to use without red-shirting them. Makes sense to me. But what do I know, im jittery, I drank too much Mountain Dew tonight. :-?
Last edited by stranger808 on Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by stranger808 »

Nice recaps, thanks guys.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by stranger808 »

stranger808 wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:32 pm

The TV announcers made some good points about who to play next after Cole in this game. With the new 4 games to play before red-shirting rule, they speculated Rolo was saving Cordeiro and Moussa's games just in-case Cole got hurt down the line. Rolo felt like they could win with all 3 QB's. Cole got banged up against CSU and the coaches weren't sure if he was a go this game, according to the tv guys. Anyways, if Cole gets hurt, Rolo has 6 games between Cordeiro and Moussa to use without red-shirting them. Makes sense to me. But what do I know, im jittery, I drank too much Mountain Dew tonight. :-?

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

poidog wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:09 pm

My hunch is that it just didn't make sense to put cordeiro in just for mop-up duty. If there was still time to run the offense without putting the game at risk he would have played. But if it's just to close out the game, why not let the senior get in there and get his name in the stat book. No sense to burn one of the 4 allowable redshirt games just to take a knee...
We were thinking the same thing. Cassell is a one and done senior with no redshirt year left.

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dakineguy »

It's been a while since the team scored over 50 points in a game, at least a couple years. I guess that's why we love the run and shoot.
GO WARRIORS !!! PLAY HARD!!!!
Ohana Makou
ex-lounge lizard, ex-stair creature, ex-Jhaller

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

If McDonald does not get MWC offensive player of the week, then Hawaii needs to look for another conference to play in. They also don't get a whole lot of calls from the MWC refs.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

impressed with:
the new/old run and shoot. more like a run and stun.
plays where navy lined up and left receivers wide open or uncovered before the snap. mcdonald targeted them immediately. defenses will have to pick their poison.
fourth and i don't care conversions and touchdown.
offense scoring from anywhere and on any down.
scoring defense.
run defense was good against a predominately run offense.
speedy receivers with good hands.
offensive linemen holding their blocking assignments and picking up blitzes.
disciplined play with significantly reduced penalties.
offense ability to reload after a bad play and get it done and gone on the next play.
rolo's play calling.
student section with students enjoying the game.
how stealthy the f22 are. sitting in the westside seats they were only heard not seen.
announced turnstile of 27K+.
the wave being started when hawaii was on defense rather than starting it when hawaii has the ball.
the number of hawaii players and former players that are having an impact on national football as players and coaches.
moneyline payoffs for the first two games.

rocket808
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by rocket808 »

#proud

Great job Coach Rolo
UH grad
active Hawaii road game attender

GO WARRIORS!!