D) Slim Pickings
2%
F) No Chance
2%

Total votes: 42

BigWave96744

Road to the HI Bowl Thread - after game 11

Post by BigWave96744 »

ImageOk, I know some of you will say, "Whoa Nellie, no jump the gun." But let's admit it, stealing a road conference game in week 0 changes the landscape for the Road to the Hawaii Bowl.

Every week I will edit the title of this thread until we either win or lose 7 games.

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Re: Road to the HI Bowl Thread - after game 1

Post by reignjah11 »

I think the key for Hawaii to go bowling will be the next 4 weeks after the Navy game. Rice, Army, Duquesne, and San Jose are games that Hawaii should be favored (maybe Army the exception but it is a winnable game). If we can sweep those 4, that leaves us in a pretty good spot with 7 games left to win 2 to be bowl eligible.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

We're already +1 having stolen a game. That helps.

Let's assume the Vegas people are right and UH drops the Navy and Army games (winnable games, but UH are moderate underdogs). If we take care of business vs. Rice, Duquesne, and a poor SJSU that, that puts UH at 4-2.

Wyoming will bring a very tough defense with a so-so offense. Might be having a hangover after an emotional contest vs. Boise State the preceding week.
@BYU...time for some history? LES has been a house of horrors for UH football for decades, but BYU's program is in a terrible state. It's this time or never.
Nevada has a potent offense but a terrible defense. If UH wants to play in Aloha Stadium around Christmas, this game is probably a non-negotiable must-win.
@Fresno State...nasty defense, potent offense. Unlikely W, but this is rivalry loaded with bizarre results.
Utah State...remember when UH used to own these guys? It's been a lopsided series since 2011 or so. Aggies return a lot of starters but have to come to Honolulu.
UNLV...they're receiving some preseason hype, but obviously UH cannot drop this one either if it wants to go bowling.
Season closes with a road game to San Diego State on their senior night. Probably the tallest task of 2018.

So IF the first 6 games go as expected from this point (we've already established that "expected" isn't worth much after last Saturday) and UH is 4-2, I'm guessing wins vs. Nevada (5), UNLV (6), and one of Wyoming, @BYU, Utah State (7) are the likeliest sources for a bowl run.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

I think it is possible but I would like for them to win at least 2 of the 4 remaining network games. I think that would help us recruiting in the future.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

LES has been a House of Horrors for everyone for decades. I'll just leave it at that. Can't believe we have to play those ^*()%^(*(^ again in 2022!

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

I think all we need is 6 wins, no?

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Mine was the reverse-jinx vote.

shokee
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by shokee »

Key to winning at BYU...
Making sure that Dylan Collie gets the ball thrown at him numerous times... Oops! dropped pass! \:D/
( Just having a little fun at his expense.. He gave us fans fits during his career at Hawaii with his "dropsies" :roll: )

GO WARRIORS!! :evil:

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Army is better than Navy but if we can beat Navy, that still puts us in a good spot. UMass killed Duquesne (not like we should be struggling against an FCS team anyways) and Rice barely beat an FCS team. We should beat San Jose State and BYU is probably still crappy but I guess you never know. That's five wins already. If we beat Army that's six. We play UNLV at home so we should beat them this time around. Should be able to beat Nevada and we almost beat a better Wyoming team last year so we should be in the clear.

Nisei
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Padres

Post by Nisei »

stranger808 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:26 pm I think all we need is 6 wins, no?
UH plays 13 games. So, 7 wins are required, unless there are not enough bowl eligible teams.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

After Game 1, I say Get Chance. Forget Vegas odds, or analytics.

As a Fan, get chance.

Personally, I don't really value Hawaii Bowl all that much, as an accomplishment. I rather see UH get invited to play a mainland bowl.

Then again, all the bowls are watered down based on $$$, but that's another discussion.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

cabanalane wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:06 am After Game 1, I say Get Chance. Forget Vegas odds, or analytics.

As a Fan, get chance.

Personally, I don't really value Hawaii Bowl all that much, as an accomplishment. I rather see UH get invited to play a mainland bowl.

Then again, all the bowls are watered down based on $$$, but that's another discussion.
Too bad wasn't an AAC year. Playing the defending *National Champs UCF would be a fun one, or really just any American team instead of a C-USA school

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

I love the Hawaii Bowl because I like going to football games. UH making the Hawaii Bowl is vital to the game's survival.

With that said, we are going 14-0 and a major bowl!

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

I will say it. Hawaii will upset Navy. Dam I'm good! Hahahahahaha
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

Nisei wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:58 pm
stranger808 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:26 pm I think all we need is 6 wins, no?
UH plays 13 games. So, 7 wins are required, unless there are not enough bowl eligible teams.
oh, ok...thank you for clearing that up for me.