shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: Best QB in the history of UH football

Post by shrek2 »

I'd like to see Cordeiro and Moussa to get some time in the Rice and Duquesne. If not in the second half, at least the fourth quarter.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

cabanalane wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:32 am We don't throw in Greg Tipton's name as one of UH's Great because the bar has been set so high now.

Prior to Cater, Greg Tipton can be consider as UH's GOAT QB. Let's give him some credit too. Tipton's success is (one of the reason) what got Tomey "the attention" which lead to an offer to coach Arizona.

Dick Tomey is still consider one of the best coaches in the PAC-10 (12) history, whatever it was back then.

https://tucson.com/top-pac--coaches/art ... 7cdd5.html
Before my time, I remember the name but not the play. What do you think about QB Ralph Cherry? Where does he rank in your book?

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

Since 1999:
#1) Colt Brennan
#2) Nick Rolovich
#3) Bryant Moniz
#4) Timmy Chang (I drop Timmy down, too inconsistent)

whirlygig5
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by whirlygig5 »

Don't forget about Cherry and Quarles

Makana
Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by Makana »

shrek2 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:42 pm I'd like to see Cordeiro and Moussa to get some time in the Rice and Duquesne. If not in the second half, at least the fourth quarter.
I gotta disagree, McDonald has the hot hand right now and I'd rather see him pick up where he left off.
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Makana wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:54 am
shrek2 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:42 pm I'd like to see Cordeiro and Moussa to get some time in the Rice and Duquesne. If not in the second half, at least the fourth quarter.
I gotta disagree, McDonald has the hot hand right now and I'd rather see him pick up where he left off.
I think that Cordeiro or Moussa will redshirt this year. Hawaii needs to have a backup quarterback who will be able to perform if McDonald goes down for whatever reason. They have some talent at the QB position and I think both kids can handle the backup but they need some time. Rice and Duquesne were projected at the beginning of the season as likely wins. If, by the third quarter or halftime for those games or any other game is already decided then McDonalds backup should get some game time for experience.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

With the new rule of being able to play 4 games and then redshirting, I would like to see them play one in the Rice game if it's out of hand and the other playing in the Duquesne game. Then waiting until the last three game just in case Cole gets hurt then have them play a series or two each in the last three games if Cole doesn't get hurt. That way they can both get can get some PT but still redshirt.
ImageImage

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Irse wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:55 am With the new rule of being able to play 4 games and then redshirting, I would like to see them play one in the Rice game if it's out of hand and the other playing in the Duquesne game. Then waiting until the last three game just in case Cole gets hurt then have them play a series or two each in the last three games if Cole doesn't get hurt. That way they can both get can get some PT but still redshirt.
I agree. No sense in inflating statistics. And UH fans should remember the year Hawaii went undefeated in 2007, it was Tyler Gaunke who engineered the last drive for a field goal to beat UNR by 2. Brennan was out for one game. Inoke Funaki also played in that game.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

stranger808 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:49 pm
Before my time, I remember the name but not the play. What do you think about QB Ralph Cherry? Where does he rank in your book?
I know this is a football forum. I don't rank Ralph Cherry in my book.

http://archives.starbulletin.com/1999/0 ... tory1.html

To foster old discussions, he was physically tougher, than Tipton.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

shrek2 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:13 am

I agree. No sense in inflating statistics. And UH fans should remember the year Hawaii went undefeated in 2007, it was Tyler Gaunke who engineered the last drive for a field goal to beat UNR by 2. Brennan was out for one game. Inoke Funaki also played in that game.
Do you guys think Tyler Gaunke got a bad deal?

It was his turn, then Colt decided to come back for his Senior year.

Ok, then it was his turn again. Then JJ left.

If JJ stayed, would Tyler Gaunke but up mean numbers too? No doubt he would be the starting QB if JJ stayed.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:13 am
shrek2 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:13 am

Do you guys think Tyler Gaunke got a bad deal?

It was his turn, then Colt decided to come back for his Senior year.

Ok, then it was his turn again. Then JJ left.

If JJ stayed, would Tyler Gaunke but up mean numbers too? No doubt he would be the starting QB if JJ stayed.
Sorry for the spelling, it was Tyler Graunke. I don't think anybody really gets a raw deal. Its all based on the better athlete. I was at the UNR game and knew that we could have done better with Colt Brennan. I think if you want to start you gotta prep more than the other guy. Davone Bess is Hawaii's example of how to make it to the big time. Jerry Rice is a model of how to make it to the big time and stay in the big show for a long time.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

I give a lot of credit to Cole McDonald for sticking with UH football after last year. I too, was screaming freak(!) when he carried the ball for a run instead of a pass. And, I too, told myself, why don't they stick in Cole at the end of the season. The difference between Cole and last year's quarterback is he can escape the pass rush. He is also able to make the shovel pass because of his height. He can also run with the ball without fumbling which last years quarterback was prone to doing in the first year. He can also pass with a man in his face something I did not see last year.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

^^^ You mentioned a lot of points about and relating to MD being tall, and taller than Brown. Going back to Unga (last year's TE). By being tall (taller than many defenders), a lot of things come easier and perhaps made him (look) better than he really was.

Football is still a big people sport.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Nah, I think if you look at Russell Wilson of the Seahawks you kind of wonder WT freak when he passes the ball for a completion when you think there are no receivers open. Russell Wilson was 6'0 in the morning and 5'11 in the afternoon. Then you have Colin Kaepernick who was at times listed at 6'6 who just never figured out the touch pass and looking at all receivers and he never developed into an NFL commodity. Height helps but I think its more instinct and desire to perfect your trade. JMHO. If last year's quarterback had the speed at 6'0, it would have made the offense more potent but he was beat from the time the DE trapped him. He wasn't able to get out of the pocket faster than the DE's. UNLV has shown us that they can have small quarterbacks who can both pass and run.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

shrek2 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:27 am Nah, I think if you look at Russell Wilson of the Seahawks you kind of wonder WT freak when he passes the ball for a completion when you think there are no receivers open. Russell Wilson was 6'0 in the morning and 5'11 in the afternoon. Then you have Colin Kaepernick who was at times listed at 6'6 who just never figured out the touch pass and looking at all receivers and he never developed into an NFL commodity. Height helps but I think its more instinct and desire to perfect your trade. JMHO. If last year's quarterback had the speed at 6'0, it would have made the offense more potent but he was beat from the time the DE trapped him. He wasn't able to get out of the pocket faster than the DE's. UNLV has shown us that they can have small quarterbacks who can both pass and run.
nah, Dru Brown's speed wasnt the issue. he just had no pocket awareness. feeling pressure is a hard thing to teach, and Brown never picked it up.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.