What kind of offense will we be running in 2018?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
uhwarriors

What kind of offense will we be running in 2018?

Post by uhwarriors »

JRod asked about the type of offense that we will be running in another thread.
J-Rod wrote: From your perspective, does Rolo's 2018 run-and-shoot look like the offense we knew and loved? Is it heavily modified with RPO stuff? I'm all for variety, especially with the offenses well known issues in the red zone, but hopefully this version of the R&S stays true to the system.
The 2018 offense won’t be a “pure” RNS. But not even Jones ran a “pure” RNS. You would have to go back to the Mouse Davis versions in the 80’s and 90’s to be considered “pure”. To understand what the 2018 offense might be requires a basic understanding of the evolution of the RNS offense

Any discussion of the RNS starts with Davis’ core plays of Go, Choice, Streak and Switch with Switch being a version of Streak. These plays had route adjustments built into them. Davis also had other complimentary passing plays which generally didn’t have route adjustments.

Jones’ version from 1999 to 2007 adopted much of the Davis version with many additional plays. Some of those other plays were West Coast offense in nature not necessarily in terms of formation but with the philosophy of a short passing game in place of a running game. Jones also eliminated route adjustments on some plays, basically making an educated guess on what the defensive coverage was going to be and telling the receivers what route to run.

The Lee version in 2008-09 was a little more similar to the Davis version putting back in more route adjustments.

The Rolovich version in 2010-11 is similar to the Jones version but added some read option and RPO plays. The read option was a change up off the basic zone read game. The RPO plays weren’t generally known as RPO then, but were in fact plays that the QB had an option of handing off or passing. That version of the RPO were more were of a West Offense philosophy (i.e. move the chains) rather than potential big play in nature. Rolovich put back in some of the route adjustments.

The “hybrid” offense in 2016-17 had an RPO component but contrary to popular opinion was not used that often, maybe 3 or 4 times a game. The RPO plays were different from the 2010-11 “move the change” plays because they had big play potential. They were a change of pace off a base run play and were called when defenses started cheating up in the box and/or played man. Many of the big pass plays in 2017 were RPO plays such as Ursua’s 85 yard TD against Massachusetts and several of Collie’s TD passes on fades. The “hybrid” offense also had a 4 wide package of plays all which have RNS roots, but they didn't have all the route adjustments.

I think the 2018 offense will be similar to the Rolovich 2010-11 RNS offense. Some of the plays will look like the 2016-17 plays but have will many more route adjustments. There will be an RPO package but it will be used as a change up off the base running plays and they won’t be called often. But when an RPO is called, it can be a big play if executed right.

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Re: What kind of offense will we be running in 2018?

Post by ulua »

Thanks, this is some good stuff

honu888
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by honu888 »

There was mention that there's a certain play that was a big part of the RnS offense that has not been implemented yet because of the intricacies and will need a lot of practice. I wonder if it's the shovel or a certain screen pass??

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

honu888 wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:48 am There was mention that there's a certain play that was a big part of the RnS offense that has not been implemented yet because of the intricacies and will need a lot of practice. I wonder if it's the shovel or a certain screen pass??
I'm not at liberty to say which play that is, but a version of it will be run. I'm guessing they'll fully implement it during spring practice next year.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

The shovel pass paid dividends today. RNS plus RPO - what a nice combination.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Thanks for the summary, uhwarriors. Your perspective matched reality today.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

My3Cats wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:42 pm The shovel pass paid dividends today. RNS plus RPO - what a nice combination.
The read option also worked well.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

uhwarriors wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:36 pm
My3Cats wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:42 pm The shovel pass paid dividends today. RNS plus RPO - what a nice combination.
The read option also worked well.
The RPO did well today with the RNS. I think it's a nice combination. Loved how they mixed in the shovel pass too. Lots for the D to think about. Almost like a triple option.
ImageImage

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Niumatalolo said, “What Rolo has done is he’s got all of his run-and-shoot stuff, but he’s added on with some quarterback reads, zone reads, quarterback counters and even some run-pass-option stuff. He’s got all of June (Jones’) stuff and added much more to it.”
http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/08/2 ... ald-loose/

honu888
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by honu888 »

https://youtu.be/vLeLx5Hd1jc

This is an old clip but so far after these first two games Rolo and Cole are certainly achieving what JJ and Colt are preaching here. Welcome back RnS!

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Quotes from a Maryland newspaper article.

http://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/na ... story.html
Navy defensive coordinator Dale Pehrson said Rolovich has “fancied up” the run-and-shoot and Niumatalolo seconded that assessment when speaking on Sunday. Niumatalolo noted that Hawaii is taking great advantage of McDonald’s mobility by employing run-pass-option plays along with rollouts and designed keepers.
“They have so many different components to that offense with the RPO stuff complementing the run-and-shoot package. The quarterback is such a dynamic runner that it’s hard to get to him because he can move and buy time with his legs or scramble for first downs,” Niumatalolo said.
Niumatalolo praised Rolovich and Hawaii offensive coordinator Brian Smith for not calling the game based off a script, but rather based off what the defense was doing.

“I think Rolo does a really good job of calling the game by feel off what is happening on the field. It is very similar to what we do option-wise in terms of countering what the defense is doing,” Niumatalolo said.

“Rolovich has a really good plan and utilizes all of the talents of his quarterback. That offense is just so hard to defend. It’s like trying to plug one hole and another pops up. You try to defend the inside pass and they go outside. You drop a lot of people into pass coverage and they run the ball. They were just one step ahead all game.”
“We weren’t stopping them by staying back in zone. On that first drive, they took six minutes and just dinked and dunked us. They were going to just bleed us to death,” Niumatalolo said. “We had to play some man and try to come after them a little bit. Unfortunately, that didn’t work so well either. We couldn’t slow those guys down, which was really frustrating.”

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Seeing (hearing) what Rolo is doing, I would not be surprise they are planning something for someone, at the special time, to bust out a formation scheme that no one seen before and go WTF. If you had to guess, what do you think that would be?

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

cabanalane wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:21 pm Seeing (hearing) what Rolo is doing, I would not be surprise they are planning something for someone, at the special time, to bust out a formation scheme that no one seen before and go WTF. If you had to guess, what do you think that would be?
I don’t expect any weird formations that we haven’t seen already this year or in past years. Our base offense is 10 personnel (1 RB, 0 TE) in a 3x1 or 2x2 set. The iteration on the sets are a 2 or 3 receiver bunch. We’ve already shown the 2 receiver bunch but not the 3 receiver bunch this year. The last two years we used the 3 receiver bunch so it shouldn’t come as a total surprise if we line up that way.

We haven’t used 00 personnel (0 RB, 0 TE) or a 5 receiver set yet, but did use it sparingly in the last two seasons. It’s something all defenses should be prepared for anyway. Usually it’s 2x3 (I don’t think there’s a 1x4). The pass patterns are the same RNS routes just in different combinations.

What we haven’t seen are other RNS plays that we haven’t had to use yet. On plays we’ve already used there are route adjustments we haven’t used yet because of the coverage schemes we’ve faced so far. So there are things that we haven’t shown yet that in our offense but are not coming out of a weird formation or a trick play. In many cases, we won’t even know we’ve run a new play or an iteration. That revelation might come only after studying the TV videos a lot or seeing the cut ups.

I’m sure there are some trick plays in the playbook, but I don’t expect to see them soon with the way we’re executing the base offense. Perhaps they are being saved for an important conference game.