QB Assessment

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
uhwarriors

QB Assessment

Post by uhwarriors »

After 20 days of practices during summer camp, where are we with the QBs?

Most of the offense was put in during the 15 practices during the spring, so McDonald and Moussa have had the almost twice as much time with it than Cordeiro. McDonald is a third year player at UH and led the player run practices in the summer.

McDonald has improved a lot as a QB. He’s a physical specimen at 6-4, 205 and has a strong arm. He is also a gifted runner with breakaway speed. While still not the most consistent thrower, he’s tightened up his mechanics and is much more accurate than before. He’s has had the tendency of tucking much too quickly. However, he’s really been working at staying in the pocket and when flushed out to the side, he’s learning how to stay behind the line of scrimmage looking to throw first before running.

Cordeiro has experience in the run and shoot from his days at St. Louis and looks very comfortable with the system. He can make the reads quickly and can pull the trigger confidently. However, UH’s playbook is much bigger than St. Louis’ to combat the more sophisticated college defensive schemes and more talented secondaries. He’s making steady progress but may be still a little behind in being thoroughly indoctrinated in the entire playbook. It seems like he’s getting used to the speed of the college game. Cordeiro has a stronger arm than Chang as a college freshman and can make all the throws. He’s also athletic and can be a dangerous runner too, although I’m sure the coaches want him to get down or out of bounds before getting hit.

Moussa has the best arm. He’s very smart graduating in December from high school and being an early entry to UH in the spring. During the spring he struggled at times with the run and shoot reads and the speed of the game. But during summer camp he’s looked more comfortable and has made some great throws. Moussa still needs to work on his pocket presence and setting his feet to throw in traffic. He’s not as much of a running threat as McDonald or Cordeiro and needs to improve throwing on the move.

Cassell was at SMU with Jones for 2 years and started a game against Texas A&M before transferring to Sacramento State. Unfortunately his career has been marred by injuries. At times he has looked quite comfortable with the system.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Re: QB Assessment

Post by UnBiasFan »

Thanks for the overview. Our starter is going to need to stay healthy. Scrambling out of the pocket in the RnS can end up being a disaster. A QB with wheels gets a false sense of confidence that he can see the whole field.

It only takes one LB or safety to put the lights out on our starter for the season Hopefully McDonald will watch the films of our previous disasters and learn to cool his jets.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Although I like the QB commitment to be set early, so there is no doubt, and the pressure is on the Chosen One. I do like how things are shaping up. Great assessment, thanks.

I always think the QB job is McDonald's to loose. There was the story about Rolo saying he would have no problem playing all 4 QBs. I don't know about that. McDonald is still a pro-style QB (Chow era), and not a true R&S. Will it be like making Garrett Gabriel run the Option?

I do like the two freshman QBs developing. The future of UH. They are both awesome. Who wants it more..With today's kids, I don't know if one will get salty and transfer school. For their future, they should because they are that good. They both deserve to start.

It's not like the old days were Kenny Niumatalolo just sit quietly on the sideline while Garrett Gabriel plays. Niumatalolo picked up the headset instead of being salty. How many millions does he make right now?

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Thanks for the report, uhwarriors.

From your perspective, does Rolo's 2018 run-and-shoot look like the offense we knew and loved? Is it heavily modified with RPO stuff? I'm all for variety, especially with the offenses well known issues in the red zone, but hopefully this version of the R&S stays true to the system.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

cabanalane wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:43 am Although I like the QB commitment to be set early, so there is no doubt, and the pressure is on the Chosen One. I do like how things are shaping up. Great assessment, thanks.

I always think the QB job is McDonald's to loose. There was the story about Rolo saying he would have no problem playing all 4 QBs. I don't know about that. McDonald is still a pro-style QB (Chow era), and not a true R&S. Will it be like making Garrett Gabriel run the Option?

I do like the two freshman QBs developing. The future of UH. They are both awesome. Who wants it more..With today's kids, I don't know if one will get salty and transfer school. For their future, they should because they are that good. They both deserve to start.

It's not like the old days were Kenny Niumatalolo just sit quietly on the sideline while Garrett Gabriel plays. Niumatalolo picked up the headset instead of being salty. How many millions does he make right now?
McDonald is not a Chow recruit. He is Rolo’s first QB recruit since becoming the HC.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

What I meant by that was he was listed on websites as "pro-style."

https://247sports.com/player/cole-mcdonald-80792

So more fitting with the Chow era? And not a true R&S QB.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

McDonald had 2313 passing yards and 1091 rushing yards his senior year of high school. That's not a stat line of a pro-style QB.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Didn't know he had that many rushing yards. He looks (tall and) lean, and not built like a bull.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

thanks for the report

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

cabanalane wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:58 am What I meant by that was he was listed on websites as "pro-style."

Colt was considered a “pro-style” QB so.......

shoichikun808
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by shoichikun808 »

cabanalane wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:58 am What I meant by that was he was listed on websites as "pro-style."

They don’t label QBs as “Spread” or anything.

You are either “Pro-Style”(Pocket Passer/Statue QB) or “Dual Threat”(Can Throw and Run).

They got McDonald wrong since he is definitely more of a “Dual Threat” than “Pro Style” as well.
Last edited by shoichikun808 on Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Mahalo for the QB report!
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

Thank you uhwarrriors, great overview as always.