Week 0 - @ Colorado State Rams OFFICIAL GAME THREAD

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Week 0 - @ Colorado State Rams OFFICIAL GAME THREAD

Post by J-Rod »

We're less than two weeks away from UH traveling to Ft. Collins. On paper, this is as ideal as it gets for this matchup. Rams are the FBS most inexperienced team (ranked 130th). Hawaii won't have to play in freezing weather. Get them on opening day, meaning the Rams haven't had game reps to improve (neither has UH, of course). That's where the advantages end. CSU is a 14-point favorite and point blank: they just have better players. There is a recruiting hierarchy in the Mountain West. 1. Boise State, a tier with San Diego State and Colorado State, and then everyone else. The Rams had the conference's best offense last season, and while they are lacking experience, they'll be a very tough unit again led by K.J. Carta-Samuels, Warren Jackson, Nikko Hall, etc. Hawaii's potential advantage: CSU is notorious for being dreadful on defense.

What are the expectations for this game? What would leave UH fans feeling content heading in to the home opener? What are you hoping to see?

My take: I'm expecting the offense to struggle at first. We're all well-educated on what is required for the run-and-shoot to succeed, and a unit rampant with inexperience isn't part of it. What I want to see is Corey Batoon's defense show signs of real progress. UH has been terrible on defense since Mack was let go. You look at the program turnarounds of Mountain West teams like Fresno, Wyoming, SDSU years ago...it starts with playing defense. The offense will come in time, but I'd like to emerge from the CSU game with evidence that the defense might be decent this fall. If we're gonna lose big, let's lose 27-10, not 49-24.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: Week 0 - @ Colorado State Rams

Post by shrek2 »

Point spread was Hawaii +14 two weeks ago.

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

I don't expect much, it will take 6 to 8 games before the team learns new RnS offense and defensive schemes and starts to play at game speed. This should be a blowout loss for Hawaii, something like 54-24.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

6-8 games? Rolo does not have the luxury of 6-8 games. I say if R&S is not working by 3-4, the chants will come.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

I took the 14 points on bovada... but it was only ten bucks so I'm optimistic, but not THAT optimistic, I guess...

I have faith in the defense, in both the coaching/strategy and in the players. The offense just needs to not turn the ball over and maybe sustain some drives and get FGs to keep this one from being a blowout.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Mike Bobo stepping away from the team is noteworthy. Hope he's okay.
https://twitter.com/CSURams/status/1029109390941417472

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

J-Rod wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:49 pm Mike Bobo stepping away from the team is noteworthy. Hope he's okay.
https://twitter.com/CSURams/status/1029109390941417472
Hope he gets healed.
ImageImage

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Looking forward to new hope with new faces

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

CBS Sports Network to carry .... must login through cable/satellite provider if you want to stream ... strange thing though, I clicked on one of providers and got an open gateway to the service w/o login . maybe that was a temporary thing b/c the site is being serviced

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

I think that since Coach Bobo is out that CSU may attempt more field goals because their offense will not be finely tuned. I'm hoping that if they do, Hawaii will use their creativity to use Ernest Moore up the middle to be the Viane Moala this year in blocking field goal attempts.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

At this point my guess is a Hawaii win by 5.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

For those that don’t have CBS Sports Network, it looks it is available by doing a YouTube TV free trial. The service is $40/month if you fail to cancel.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

What time is the game? For us mainland guys, my search is telling me 7:30pm and 4:40pm, but it did not list the timezone reference.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

For the mainland guys, how to do watch the games for the season.

So here is the thing. Just an example (as I never check yet). So tomorrow's game is on CBSSN. Ok, I get that channel, but that does not mean I can watch that game cause they figure where I live, I may be more interested in something more "regional."

For the past few seasons, it's like a constant hunt for UH games, even when they are televised.

So the question is, is there once source where I can stream UH football games? Yes, I know it must be paid, and not free. Does Oceanic (whoever it is that runs cable tv in Hawaii now) offer a paid stream service like a NBA League pass? I only want UH football. Ok, if they got basketball or volleyball as part of a package, I'll take that too.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

cabanalane wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:30 am What time is the game? For us mainland guys, my search is telling me 7:30pm and 4:40pm, but it did not list the timezone reference.
1:30 hawaii time. I believe it's 7:30 EST
ImageImage