8/4 Practice Notes

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
go bows
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: 8/4 Practice Notes

Post by go bows »

J-Rod wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:57 am If JJ is the only answer, this program might as well fold up tent and go home. Postponing the inevitable. We have to find a way to stand on our own two legs without him.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

J-Rod wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:57 am Postponing the inevitable.
There was a time UH wanted Norm Chow during the BYU days, during his prime. By the time UH got Chow, his best days were in the past.

JJ is (trying) to prove at CFL he still got game.

If and when UH gets him again, I hope UH would not get a guy that has past him prime. Then everyone would say...see, JJ wasn't the best choice.

He is 65 years old. If not next, then let it be never.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

cabanalane wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:27 am
There was a time UH wanted Norm Chow during the BYU days, during his prime. By the time UH got Chow, his best days were in the past.

JJ is (trying) to prove at CFL he still got game.

If and when UH gets him again, I hope UH would not get a guy that has past him prime. Then everyone would say...see, JJ wasn't the best choice.

He is 65 years old. If not next, then let it be never.
I don't think age has anything to do with Chow's failure as a head coach. I think it has to do with the fact that he was never a head coach until Hawaii made him one. It's the same as Rolo. Being a successful OC doesn't always mean that they are going to be a successful head coach. I would really like to know what Chris Petersen's secret to success was and is. Started as UC Davis QB, then head coach for Boise, then UW.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

SundayJam wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:39 pm Good assessments. Rolovich has yet to prove himself as a head coach. The suspensions last year are more of a reflection on Rolo than on the players. I still say the handling of KT was just ridiculous. Naole quitting...not good. It's also not a good sign that Rolo had to rebuild his coaching staff after his second year. I do like the new staff but it seems that there might just be too many chefs in the kitchen right now.

Fingers crossed.
I dunno, man... o-line play got better after Naeole left. Not saying that he was wrong or right in his reasons to leave, but things on the line got better after he left. Those big penalties that caused all of those DSJ long TD's to be called back kind of went away after Naeole left, and no one ever said much about it. If not for those holding penalties, we beat Wyoming and maybe the season turns out very differently. Granted, those kinds of institutional issues do fall on the HC more than anyone else, but a good chunk of what needed to be changed was changed. I'm optimistic.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

RedZone wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:16 am Rolo is not JJ. He should go with his own offense. Or maybe he doesn’t have one? Kinda reminds me of how VonApps kept looking for an offense.
Let's not forget how well the offense ran in 2010, when Rolo was OC for his version of the R&S. That 2010 offense was the best combination of passing and rushing that I've seen in the R&S era - maybe not as talented as 2006 and 2007, but the scheme, starting with the effectiveness of running the R&S out of the pistol, worked very well. I would love to see us build up to that again. With Ursua and Byrd as this year's Salas and Pilares? Sign me up for that. If Melvin Davis can be this year's Alex Green? Let's go! With one week of fall camp in the books, we really don't know what we are going to get, so it's probably best to just wait and see.

Also, I do remember seeing someone very knowledgeable on this board post that Rolo's plan was to move to the R&S at some point, but it was decided that the holdovers from Chow's last team were a better fit for a run-based offense. This was proven to be true as the 2016 team was able to win more games than the 2015 team and get to a bowl game and win. 2017 was the result of a dysfunctional coaching staff caving in, so we don't know how good or bad the offense could have been under better conditions. But to Rolo's credit (even when he gets none from his critics), he went out and hired highly-qualified coaches with experience and raised the average age of the coaching staff quite a bit while retaining some balance between young and old with the hopes that those things will cure the ills of the 2017 squad. My biggest criticism of Chow was that he would not hire better coaches. After two seasons, Rolo has at least proven that he's not afraid to hire assistants that could potentially replace him as Banker or Batoon would be very acceptable interim/replacement head coaches if a decision should be made.

Lastly, My take on the criticism of Rolo is that while some of it is just, a lot of it can be attributed to people in one of two camps (or in both): people who wanted JJ to get the job and have a case of "sour grapes", and people who do not like Rolo's "showman" style (someone on this thread called him a "charlatan"). I can't speak to the first one other than we should just agree to disagree over who should have gotten the job (I wanted Miano, which is a whole 'nother message board argument). For the second one, you may not like his style but as the HC he's gotta do something to try and bring back interest in the team. ultimately, winning will solve all things, but until we get there again there needs to be more effort to win some fans back to help them get there. He's trying some things and some of them work and some don't. I'll take that over Chow's part-time hawaii residence and complete lack of community outreach any day.

After Chow's second season, there were still a lot of people saying "he needs time to bring in his guys!!!!"... how times have changed.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Yeah, notice how Chris Naeole didn't end up on another staff this fall? There's a reason for that.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

J-Rod wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:34 am Yeah, notice how Chris Naeole didn't end up on another staff this fall? There's a reason for that.
The reason is he doesn't have to coach again. He made his fortunes in the NFL and i's comfortable living in Hawaii. Same reason why other former NFL guys currently living in Hawaii aren't jumping to get into coaching. Long hours, time away from their family not worth it, even for a 6 figure salary

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

poidog wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:09 am
I dunno, man... o-line play got better after Naeole left. Not saying that he was wrong or right in his reasons to leave, but things on the line got better after he left. Those big penalties that caused all of those DSJ long TD's to be called back kind of went away after Naeole left, and no one ever said much about it. If not for those holding penalties, we beat Wyoming and maybe the season turns out very differently. Granted, those kinds of institutional issues do fall on the HC more than anyone else, but a good chunk of what needed to be changed was changed. I'm optimistic.
Star Advertiser wrote:Chris Naeole has resigned as the University of Hawaii football team’s offensive line coach, citing “philosophical differences with the handling of disciplinary matters in the program.”

Naeole issued the statement through his lawyer, ending speculation about his status after he missed two practices this week and did not accompany the Rainbow Warriors on their trip to Reno for Saturday’s game against Nevada.

There were multiple suspensions in recent weeks. At least four players were suspended for the Sept. 23 game against Wyoming. Three other players were suspended for last week’s game against Colorado State. One of the suspensions involved a situation beyond team rules and initially out of the program’s jurisdiction.
http://www.staradvertiser.com/2017/10/0 ... ball-team/

...So if he was the line coach for 5 years...and he quit with the 5 more losses yet to be played....you're saying offensive line play improved?!!!

The year prior it was Kennedy T. and K. Gifford who were suspended. Kennedy got dismissed for manini kine stuff. This is two years in a row that Coach Rolovich cannot control his team. Hopefully, the maturity of the new hires will makeup for this shortcoming of Rolovich's.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

In theory, KT got his "2nd chance," correct?

He was let go for failing to meet academic standards.

The end result was the same.

Really, did the Admins expect KT, without football, would be spending his free time at Hamilton Library studying?

I bring this up not so much to talk about KT, but the UH Admin are constantly reacting. Feeling the pressure of Free KT. Not to look bad. But know that he will fail because KT is not an academic scholar. So UH is not the bad guy here.

True, it was all up to KT. He should be in the library studying. But let's be real here.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:11 am In theory, KT got his "2nd chance," correct?
No. Kennedy offended once...a disturbance of the peace. He was dismissed retroactively based on something he did previously. Kennedy was an aggressive alpha male paired with an equally aggressive alpha female. He was a blue chip athlete who chose to play for the home team. He was noted by opposing top ten athletes as someone to watch out for. He was the spokesman for the team at every MWC event. Kennedy was the face of the team.

The administration did what everyone expected them to do...but Rolovich...spinelessly...went along with it.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Correct, but I thought I read somewhere from Steven Tsai, that he later became academic ineligible, which therefore remove any chance for appeal, or getting back to the team. So it was a moot point that didn't really matter. Like IF he was (by some far chance), he would not be able to be on the team because of academics.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

SundayJam wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:14 am ...So if he was the line coach for 5 years...and he quit with the 5 more losses yet to be played....you're saying offensive line play improved?!!!
You can have better and more disciplined o-line play and still lose games. Let's look at offensive penalties:

With Naeole on staff we averaged 9 offensive penalties a game.
without Naeole on staff we averaged 6.8 offensive penalties a game.
If we take out the Nevada game, which was on the same week that Naeole left the team and we had 11 offensive penalties, the average per game drops to 5.3 offensive penalties a game.

Yes, we went 1-6 in that stretch, but at that point we were not a team that was good enough to beat anyone. Earlier in the season? I think we were good enough to beat both Wyoming and Nevada, but had 10 and 11 offensive penalties, respectively, in those games that just killed our momentum (at least one long DSJ TD called back) and in my opinion are why we lost those games. Win those, and we are 5-2 after the SJSU game and the season takes on a totally different complexion. I can't speak to fundamentals, but for whatever reason, the Naeole-coached o-line could not stop getting called for holding or for being downfield illegally. Chris Posa also got ejected from the UMass game. There were discipline issues there.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

SundayJam wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:57 am
cabanalane wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:11 am In theory, KT got his "2nd chance," correct?
No. Kennedy offended once...a disturbance of the peace. He was dismissed retroactively based on something he did previously. Kennedy was an aggressive alpha male paired with an equally aggressive alpha female. He was a blue chip athlete who chose to play for the home team. He was noted by opposing top ten athletes as someone to watch out for. He was the spokesman for the team at every MWC event. Kennedy was the face of the team.

The administration did what everyone expected them to do...but Rolovich...spinelessly...went along with it.
You expected Rolo to take the side of someone accused of domestic violence right when the University was pushing their domestic violence awareness campaign? That is a political minefield that he rightly stayed out of. Some things are more important than football. Maybe next time don't break the law?

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

poidog wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:41 am
SundayJam wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:57 am

You expected Rolo to take the side of someone accused of domestic violence right when the University was pushing their domestic violence awareness campaign? That is a political minefield that he rightly stayed out of. Some things are more important than football. Maybe next time don't break the law?
+1
ImageImage

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

I believe we'll be better this year - especially on D. On D we have some big bodies in the trenches ... and playmakers at linebacker. Hoping we improve on the edge and can get some pressure. I like Hicks and Okeke at safeties. Offense seems to have some playmakers at wr/slot (Ursua, Byrd) and potential at oline ... but it'll be a work-in-progress.
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."