8/4 Practice Notes

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
uhwarriors

8/4 Practice Notes

Post by uhwarriors »

Overall, the defense had the edge in the full contact scrimmage periods. Eugene Ford had 2 picks including a pick-6 and a high point Int in the endzone.

The defense put some good pressure on the QBs and the DBs broke up several passes.

McDonald led the offense on a 75 yard drive resulting in the only TD of the day. On the biggest play of the drive he threw a nice 20+ yard dig route. Overall, McDonald had the best day of the QBs.

Moussa was inconsistent.

On the longest play of the day, Cordeiro completed a really nice deep corner route to Sharsh who made a good catch before going out of bounds. But overall, Cordeiro was not consistent enough.

Cassell showed some good signs completing several passes to secondary receivers and moving the ball. He’s not out of the mix.

Dale, Furuta and Reed had some nice short runs. It was also good to see Melvin Davis back on the field getting some action.

Sharsh, Kamaka, Torres and Funkhouser got extensive playing time at SB.

Meskell was 2 for 2 with FGs and had 1 PAT. Sasaoka was 2 for 2 on 40+ yard FGs, although one was a low line drive sidewinder.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: 8/4 Practice Notes

Post by shrek2 »

Thanks uhwarriors.

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

mahalo.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

shrek2 wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:01 pm Thanks uhwarriors.
+1.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

go bows
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by go bows »

My observations from yesterday:

1. Overall lack of talent compared with JJ and Mac teams. How many NFL prospects. Sofar only Ursua and Tavai.

2. Disregard the local bias to CC -- CM is the man. Moussa looked the best in drills. In fact he started the 65 play scrimmage imo to motivate CM who was locking into one receiver. The light went on -- CM started going thru progressions and looks the part. CC is undersized and overwhelmed. Requires a redshirt.

3. O-line is big but lacks cohesion. No gaps for the rbs to run in.

4. Melvin Davis needs to start. The others are typical overrated socal scrubs.

5. Wrs outside of Ursua, Byrd and the Texas brothers are scrubs.

6. Defense is full of shrimps but plays fast and gang tackles well. Good technique with hitting below the waist. Kai Kaneshiro will get playing time.

Verdict: Rolo's last season. JJ returns. Unable to consistently recruit local players and not enough buy-in. Too much of a charlatan.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

go bows wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:00 pm My observations from yesterday:

1. Overall lack of talent compared with JJ and Mac teams. How many NFL prospects. Sofar only Ursua and Tavai.

2. Disregard the local bias to CC -- CM is the man. Moussa looked the best in drills. In fact he started the 65 play scrimmage imo to motivate CM who was locking into one receiver. The light went on -- CM started going thru progressions and looks the part. CC is undersized and overwhelmed. Requires a redshirt.

3. O-line is big but lacks cohesion. No gaps for the rbs to run in.

4. Melvin Davis needs to start. The others are typical overrated socal scrubs.

5. Wrs outside of Ursua, Byrd and the Texas brothers are scrubs.

6. Defense is full of shrimps but plays fast and gang tackles well. Good technique with hitting below the waist. Kai Kaneshiro will get playing time.

Verdict: Rolo's last season. JJ returns. Unable to consistently recruit local players and not enough buy-in. Too much of a charlatan.
Well isn't that all sunshine and rainbows lol?

I'd be stunned if Rolo is let go after 2018. It was this time last year that fans had their heads in the clouds after a surprise bowl winning season. Now he's on the hot seat after one bad season? C'mon. This isn't the 1999-2011 WAC. There are very few gimmes on the schedule. Hold the coach accountable, but we can't keep McMackin'ing coaches every few years. He should get 2019 to prove himself unless 2018 is insanely bad (2-11, 1-12, 0-13 type season).

go bows
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by go bows »

JJ working for free allows for buyouts

go bows
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by go bows »

Rolo went 7-7 with Chow's players. Overwhelmed like many of his players.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

I kinda get where you're coming from with your assessment of UH. Just out of curiosity, go_bows were you able to go to the JJ and MacMakin practices? Trying to find out if there's any kind of enthusiasm on the field from the players or coaches? Yeah, in 2016 we had the line play from the Chow recruiting but we never had the synchronization on offense. Seems like we're missing elements out of both Rolo and Chow in a true head coach. Also, neither the OC and quarterback coach impress me with the ability to develop their responsible position players.

go bows
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by go bows »

Yes. I go back to Dave Homes. JJ's practices were based on repetition and precision.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Good assessments. Rolovich has yet to prove himself as a head coach. The suspensions last year are more of a reflection on Rolo than on the players. I still say the handling of KT was just ridiculous. Naole quitting...not good. It's also not a good sign that Rolo had to rebuild his coaching staff after his second year. I do like the new staff but it seems that there might just be too many chefs in the kitchen right now.

Fingers crossed.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

New offense. New defense. I am not expecting much this season. Our defense was really bad last season. And now they are kicking our offenses butts. Rolo is not JJ. He should go with his own offense. Or maybe he doesn’t have one? Kinda reminds me of how VonApps kept looking for an offense.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Fans keep asking for JJ and R&S. Rolo (and UH Bosses) have to bring that back.

I blame UH leaders. Rolo (and Miano) wanted the job. UH gave it to Chow.

JJ wants back in. UH gave it to Rolo. Now UH wants Rolo to be JJ Version 2.0.

I would not be surprise if Rolo is fed up with UH. I know he loves Hawaii and it connected with Hawaii. It would be a sad day if Rolo got to leave Hawaii again. Not just for the fans, but for him and his family.

The coaching business is a tight group. They all talk and know each other. If Rolo leaves UH, might as well cancel the program. No one would want to come here. UH (Admin) sucks...

Wait..JJ would probably be the only person.

When you get old, cold weather in Canada is not good for your joints. Warmer weather would be nice.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

If JJ is the only answer, this program might as well fold up tent and go home. Postponing the inevitable. We have to find a way to stand on our own two legs without him.

go bows
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by go bows »

J-Rod wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:57 am If JJ is the only answer, this program might as well fold up tent and go home. Postponing the inevitable. We have to find a way to stand on our own two legs without him.
JJ should have been rehired. Rolo could have been the oc and associate hc.

Rolo is overmatched. When top admin staff right before the season this could mean they expect Rolo is gone.