Is Hawaii back in black?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
BigWave96744

Re: Is Hawaii back in black?

Post by BigWave96744 »

I like the look of the shiny helmet and no more grey pants.

Last year's dull matte helmet resembled the dull offense. Let's get back to 500+ yards passing and 40+ points. Heck bring back the introduction of the starting defense by BillyV

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

J-Rod wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:12 pm
See, this is what's funny though. We think we know what kids want...yet when recruits visit Manoa, plenty of them find the Rainbow stuff pretty cool. Ultimately I think recruits love having plenty of options.
True statement. Looking at the video game side, it used to be about game play. Now there are so many options for colors, uniforms, and shoe styles. If it's not in the game, you buy the download patch.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

reignjah11 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:44 am
My3Cats wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:54 am
reignjah11 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:55 am Finally some nice unis by UA! Love that they went back to the Nike 2000s look. It's simple but sharp.

Only suggestion for the black jersey is that I wish the number was green and the outline was white.
Those numbers were the hardest to read. Papa Leahey messed up his number calling all the time because they were tough to see.
True but this gives me chicken skin! Image
I agree. Just have to have better eye sight than Papa Leahey.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Whiplash808
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Whiplash808 »

reignjah11 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:55 am Finally some nice unis by UA! Love that they went back to the Nike 2000s look. It's simple but sharp.

Only suggestion for the black jersey is that I wish the number was green and the outline was white.
While most people associate the 2000s era unis with Nike, they weren't proprietary to the big Swoosh. The original uniforms were actually designed by Eric Osaki and the uniform contract was with Reebok at the time, and later Nike got the contract. When June left and UA took over, that was it. I've been waiting a long time for a change like this. These uniforms were unique, and it's about time that UA isn't just giving us go the cookie cutter template kits that they've done with us in the past. The band on the left side of the uniform sleeves and pants legs was something no other school had, and while it won't necessarily mean better play on the field (although I hope it will anyway), it'll at least draw interest again in merchandising. I like the update overall, but I would like to see the metallic green helmet again as another option and I don't like the green sleeve on the white jersey. And while the silver made the Brennan-era teams looks Raider-esque, I think they looked clean, and wouldn't mind seeing the silver helmets with the white jerseys (and silver numbers too) as another alternate.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Whiplash808 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:15 pm

While most people associate the 2000s era unis with Nike, they weren't proprietary to the big Swoosh. The original uniforms were actually designed by Eric Osaki and the uniform contract was with Reebok at the time, and later Nike got the contract. When June left and UA took over, that was it. I've been waiting a long time for a change like this. These uniforms were unique, and it's about time that UA isn't just giving us go the cookie cutter template kits that they've done with us in the past. The band on the left side of the uniform sleeves and pants legs was something no other school had, and while it won't necessarily mean better play on the field (although I hope it will anyway), it'll at least draw interest again in merchandising. I like the update overall, but I would like to see the metallic green helmet again as another option and I don't like the green sleeve on the white jersey. And while the silver made the Brennan-era teams looks Raider-esque, I think they looked clean, and wouldn't mind seeing the silver helmets with the white jerseys (and silver numbers too) as another alternate.
Thanks for the history of those uniforms, I just figured it was owned by Reebok or Nike, thus UA wasn’t able to use them. As for the silver helmets and pants, I was never one of those people who despised them. Yeah they aren’t a UH color, but they looked cool. Do I want them back? No not really. I won’t make a fuss if they do though. I just hope we still have white pants and helmets to have the option for a full on stormtrooper look for away games.

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Post by reignjah11 »

EITSwarrior wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:27 pm I just hope we still have white pants and helmets to have the option for a full on stormtrooper look for away games.
This, the all white unis looked the best under UA!

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

reignjah11 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:57 am
EITSwarrior wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:27 pm I just hope we still have white pants and helmets to have the option for a full on stormtrooper look for away games.
This, the all white unis looked the best under UA!
Will look better with old JJ era uni template.

LopaKa
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer
NBA: Miami Heat
NFL: Atlanta Falcons

Post by LopaKa »

so stoked for this upcoming season. Nostalgia is at an all-time high with the offense and uniforms. Hopefully it will be an exciting season. When I see those green uniforms, I picture "Mighty Mouse" taking a kick to the house!!

Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: Oakland RAIDERS!

Post by Haynr8dr »

Black is trending. About every other team out there has black incorporated into their unis.

Wins would be good.

I prefer the one with the dark green jersey, at least there's some semblance of the actual school colors.

Wins would be good.

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

I really like these Uni's. Now lets get them wins!
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

LopaKa wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:12 am so stoked for this upcoming season. Nostalgia is at an all-time high with the offense and uniforms. Hopefully it will be an exciting season. When I see those green uniforms, I picture "Mighty Mouse" taking a kick to the house!!
I miss Mighty Mouse big time. We may never see another one like him. He fired up the whole team when he went out on the field.

It would be nice to see someone take it to the house once in awhile.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

HawaiianHogster wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:29 pm
LopaKa wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:12 am so stoked for this upcoming season. Nostalgia is at an all-time high with the offense and uniforms. Hopefully it will be an exciting season. When I see those green uniforms, I picture "Mighty Mouse" taking a kick to the house!!
I miss Mighty Mouse big time. We may never see another one like him. He fired up the whole team when he went out on the field.

It would be nice to see someone take it to the house once in awhile.
I have a feeling our new ST coach will be able to utilize Ursua and bring back the excitement to the return team

UHALLDAWAY808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by UHALLDAWAY808 »

Looks like Cedric Byrd will be the man instead of Ursua

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Gotta keep Ursua healthy. An anemic offense got even more anemic last season when he was out for the season.

Love the all black!
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

UHALLDAWAY808 wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:41 am Looks like Cedric Byrd will be the man instead of Ursua
?? Is this a prediction? Or did I miss something about Ursua's status?