Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: new stadium location

Post by My3Cats »

poidog wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:57 am
UnBiasFan wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:22 am
st808 wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:21 pm ....just curious: how many college stadiums are as remote from their campuses as the aloha stadium is to the manoa campus?
UCLA not anywhere near Rose Bowl. There must be other examples.
Sam Boyd is pretty far from UNLV campus, but the new NFL stadium will be close by. Not sure if UNLV will play there on a regular basis or at all, though.
SDSU plays off-campus at the formerly called Qualcomm stadium.
there are probably other urban campuses that play off-campus.
U of Miami is in Coral Gables but play at Hard Rock Stadium, home of the Dolphins, across town.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

currently living in south central oahu.aka pearl city.the rail construction just went through.i just can't imagine going to aloha stadium for 4 years with a new stadium being constructed next door.when the new stadium is finally built,the old one gets demolished,and another few years to construct the mall and high rise.lose money.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

kalua pig wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:55 pm currently living in south central oahu.aka pearl city.the rail construction just went through.i just can't imagine going to aloha stadium for 4 years with a new stadium being constructed next door.when the new stadium is finally built,the old one gets demolished,and another few years to construct the mall and high rise.lose money.
While I feel for those living in the area, I have family in Aiea Heights, I think it will be worth it at the end of the day. The mixed use area adjacent to the stadium will help offset the maintenance cost of the new stadium, whereas there is little to no money for the current stadium.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

I live near the stadium and I have season tickets and I tailage... I know that if they go with a modern approach with parking structures and nearby shopping and dining that my game day experience may change... but I'm ok with it. things change. might be nice to catch the rail to the stadium, eat at a bar and then walk across the street to the game.

I really don't see any way they could build a stadium in Kapolei or on campus and have it make sense and not be a nightmare to get to on game day.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

kalua pig wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:55 pm currently living in south central oahu.aka pearl city.the rail construction just went through.
I used to live in Pearl City. I don't understand the joke "South Central Oahu."

Is it that bad now?

Used to live near Waiau.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

cabanalane wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:27 am
kalua pig wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:55 pm currently living in south central oahu.aka pearl city.the rail construction just went through.

Is it that bad now?

Used to live near Waiau.
I don't think it has the LA reference to south central, more of a geographical one. people would balk if someone from pearl city says they're from west oahu, or central oahu

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I see, thank you.

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

cabanalane wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:27 am

Is it that bad now?

Used to live near Waiau.
it just makes it sound hard.lol.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

poidog wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:47 pm I live near the stadium and I have season tickets and I tailage... I know that if they go with a modern approach with parking structures and nearby shopping and dining that my game day experience may change... but I'm ok with it. things change. might be nice to catch the rail to the stadium, eat at a bar and then walk across the street to the game.

I really don't see any way they could build a stadium in Kapolei or on campus and have it make sense and not be a nightmare to get to on game day.
I kinda agree with this. While I lived in LA, I would go to Dodger games and going to Dodger Stadium is a pain in the okole, especially evening games. Pretty much the only way to get there is by your own vehicle aside from a shuttle from downtown LA. Then I went to San Diego for a Padres game and their trolly stops in front of the Padres stadium. The entire area is mixed use business and residential.

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

there is a rail station at west oahu college.i would also like to see the stadium authority go away,and uh control the revenue.it won't happen in the current location.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

kalua pig wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:20 pm there is a rail station at west oahu college.i would also like to see the stadium authority go away,and uh control the revenue.it won't happen in the current location.
I don’t think it matters who controls the stadium since both are state entities. That’s why I always found it ridiculous that UH pays rent for the use of Aloha Stadium. It’s just more needless paperwork.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

i'd be down for a stadium in west oahu or the current location. there probably isn't enough land to put anything but a sub 20k stadium on campus, logistics are already a nightmare dealing with just 10k people at the ssc, and students aren't going to fill up the seats. manoa is mostly a commuter campus.

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

ubercow wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:26 pm i'd be down for a stadium in west oahu or the current location. there probably isn't enough land to put anything but a sub 20k stadium on campus, logistics are already a nightmare dealing with just 10k people at the ssc, and students aren't going to fill up the seats. manoa is mostly a commuter campus.
manoa is out.west oahu or current location is the finalists.lol.

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

EITSwarrior wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:44 pm
kalua pig wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:20 pm there is a rail station at west oahu college.i would also like to see the stadium authority go away,and uh control the revenue.it won't happen in the current location.
I don’t think it matters who controls the stadium since both are state entities. That’s why I always found it ridiculous that UH pays rent for the use of Aloha Stadium. It’s just more needless paperwork.
public perception is football is losing money.let the university operate the football stadium like stan sheriff and les murakami.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

kalua pig wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:28 pm
EITSwarrior wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:44 pm
public perception is football is losing money.let the university operate the football stadium like stan sheriff and les murakami.
Except football isn’t losing the AD money. Football and WVB, for sure, and Baseball I think, are the only sports keeping UH athletics somewhat afloat. Men’s Basketball and Volleyball can be depending on how good the season is going.