Which true freshman play?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Which true freshman play?

Post by J-Rod »

Every year it seems like 1-3 true freshman get on the field for Hawaii, typically on special teams. With UH returning only an astounding 4 starters on defense and 2 on offense (good for dead last nationally), we might see more true freshman play than usual due to the team's overall inexperience. Who do you guys think might hit the field?

https://247sports.com/college/hawaii/Se ... ll/Commits

Few of my guesses...

WR Michael Washington - Highest rated recruit from last year's class and at a position of need.
DT Blessman Taala - Again, like Washington, gifted recruit that plays a position UH needs help with.
DE Jonah Kahahawai-Welch - Maybe the biggest steal of the 2018 class, Jonah will provide some depth.
C Solo Vaipulu - Don't sleep on Solo. If a certain center is not ready to go, Vaipulu can help UH right away.
S Kai Kaneshiro - Kai could provide depth at safety, but I expect to see him whacking people on special teams.
One of or both QBs Jeremy Moussa or Chevan Cordeiro - There is a real possibility 2018 ends up being a rebuilding year for UH football. If that becomes the case, seeing one of the talented freshman play should come as no surprise.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: Which true freshman play?

Post by cabanalane »

How much time does Rolo have left? Fired Chow on the 3rd year. Wagner was fired 3 years after the Holiday Bowl win. Would this be Rolo's last year?

Freshman players can be exciting. I'm not sure Rolo should trust Freshmans.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

cabanalane wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:28 am How much time does Rolo have left? Fired Chow on the 3rd year. Wagner was fired 3 years after the Holiday Bowl win. Would this be Rolo's last year?

Norm had 4 years. 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015. He was dreadful, but still got four years. Rolo already did more than Norm with the 2016 bowl season. He'll get 4-5 years of time, UH can't afford to keep buying people out.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

J-Rod wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:53 am UH can't afford to keep buying people out.
Correct. Mac buyout. Gib Arnold buyout. Chow buyout. Yup, win or loose, UH got to let Rolo play it out.

We talked about UH making that commitment to the chosen QB. UH need to stick with the coach. The difference between winning and loosing is so narrow. One fumble, one interception, one blown coverage, one dropped pass, could be the difference.

UH burn the cash for all those contracts that UH could have brought Kenny Niumatalolo back - home.

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

blessman looks like a good one.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

J-Rod wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:50 am Every year it seems like 1-3 true freshman get on the field for Hawaii, typically on special teams. With UH returning only an astounding 4 starters on defense and 2 on offense (good for dead last nationally), we might see more true freshman play than usual due to the team's overall inexperience. Who do you guys think might hit the field?

https://247sports.com/college/hawaii/Se ... ll/Commits

Few of my guesses...

WR Michael Washington - Highest rated recruit from last year's class and at a position of need.
DT Blessman Taala - Again, like Washington, gifted recruit that plays a position UH needs help with.
DE Jonah Kahahawai-Welch - Maybe the biggest steal of the 2018 class, Jonah will provide some depth.
C Solo Vaipulu - Don't sleep on Solo. If a certain center is not ready to go, Vaipulu can help UH right away.
S Kai Kaneshiro - Kai could provide depth at safety, but I expect to see him whacking people on special teams.
One of or both QBs Jeremy Moussa or Chevan Cordeiro - There is a real possibility 2018 ends up being a rebuilding year for UH football. If that becomes the case, seeing one of the talented freshman play should come as no surprise.
Washington - He's a grayshirt, so unless something changes in the next week or two he won't be here this season.
Taala - Looked good in the spring and is going to be a stud. Will be in the rotation for sure and may be a starter.
Kahahawai-Welch - Will be a good DE/OLB, but may have to wait his time since we have some depth at those positions.
Vaipulu - Physically looks like he's ready to contribute. Need to see him in pads. Might be in the rotation this year. 4 years from now may be considered the "steal of the class".
Kaneshiro - Haven't seen him on the field yet. May provide depth this year.
Moussa or Cordeiro - One or both may play this year. Moussa has the arm. Cordeiro has familiarity with the offense and looks comfortable with it at the PRPs.
Bethley - Haven't see enough of him but physically looks the part of a hybrid SS/OLB.
Borden - Was here for spring practice and got a head start at OT. Might be in the rotation if some of the JC guys don't step up quickly.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

uhwarriors wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:52 pm Washington - He's a grayshirt, so unless something changes in the next week or two he won't be here this season.
Taala - Looked good in the spring and is going to be a stud. Will be in the rotation for sure and may be a starter.
Kahahawai-Welch - Will be a good DE/OLB, but may have to wait his time since we have some depth at those positions.
Vaipulu - Physically looks like he's ready to contribute. Need to see him in pads. Might be in the rotation this year. 4 years from now may be considered the "steal of the class".
Kaneshiro - Haven't seen him on the field yet. May provide depth this year.
Moussa or Cordeiro - One or both may play this year. Moussa has the arm. Cordeiro has familiarity with the offense and looks comfortable with it at the PRPs.
Bethley - Haven't see enough of him but physically looks the part of a hybrid SS/OLB.
Borden - Was here for spring practice and got a head start at OT. Might be in the rotation if some of the JC guys don't step up quickly.
Thanks for the info! Good tidbits. I'd by lying if I said I wasn't a little biased towards Cordeiro. I'm all grad/JC transferred out, it's time for something new and organic. Watching the Polynesian Bowl, it was hard to not see some similiarities to Timmy in his game.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

cabanalane wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:28 am How much time does Rolo have left? Fired Chow on the 3rd year. Wagner was fired 3 years after the Holiday Bowl win. Would this be Rolo's last year?

I’ve seem some freshmen quarterbacks from other teams kick our butts. I would have thought by now we would be established at that position. I just don’t think that the coaches are getting the job done.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

RedZone wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:57 pm

I’ve seem some freshmen quarterbacks from other teams kick our butts. I would have thought by now we would be established at that position. I just don’t think that the coaches are getting the job done.
True. I thought by now we would have a Senior established at that position, going into his 3rd year as the Starter.

What came first, Rolo's decision to switch to R&S, or Dru Brown's decision to transfer? IIRC, Rolo pulled the trigger first to switch up the offense.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Whichever occurred first, Rolo's switch to the run and shoot or Brown's decision to transfer, I'm just ecstatic that we won't have to endure another season of the RPO. The offense may struggle mightily, but hopefully they will learn as they go and have a lot of production by mid season.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

True. I do agree, and looking for something new too. More "excitement."

However, just for discussion, wasn't there a lot of 3-and-outs with the R&S too? We all remember the highlights.

Sort of like Wagner's (Johnson) Option. The highlights like like football ballet. There were lots of time when Jasper and Carter when no-where, not even a chance.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

cabanalane wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:46 pm True. I do agree, and looking for something new too. More "excitement."

However, just for discussion, wasn't there a lot of 3-and-outs with the R&S too? We all remember the highlights.

Sort of like Wagner's (Johnson) Option. The highlights like like football ballet. There were lots of time when Jasper and Carter when no-where, not even a chance.
Does it matter? We tried being conventional...like other programs, and it resulted in hardly any highlights at all (but plenty of lowlights). Time to return to our roots.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

cabanalane wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:46 pm True. I do agree, and looking for something new too. More "excitement."

True with the numerous 3 and outs, until I think Colt's time, and even before that with Rolo when he clicked in his senior year. There were times that the UH punter almost never got into the games. Timmy had plenty of 3 and outs, if he didn't throw an interception instead.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Yup, and the Kicker too. It was touchdown or nothing else (less).

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

J-Rod wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:31 pm

Does it matter? We tried being conventional...like other programs, and it resulted in hardly any highlights at all (but plenty of lowlights). Time to return to our roots.
plus, we only had one season with less than 5 wins during the R&S era. 3 and outs or not, 7 wins was a minimum around here during those times.

that 2010 Rolo-led offense (the first to run primarily out of the pistol instead of shotgun) was very good, and they moved the chains constantly with an effective running game. we had a little less success in 2011, but much like last year it was a season full of internal turmoil between the staff and the players so it is hard to say if the problem was the offense or if it were something less strategy-related. I'm excited to see what Rolo does with his implementation of the R&S. unlike 2010-2011, there are no members of the "old guard" of the R&S on this staff so Rolo, Smith, and Stutz are free to run it the way they want to run it. should be interesting if nothing else.