Who was UH's QB in 1995?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Who was UH's QB in 1995?

Post by cabanalane »

Does anyone recall who was Starting UH's QB during Bob Wager's last year in 1995?

The one with the higher stats must be the starter. Does anyone recall?

Johnny Macon QB 68 Cmp, 152 Att, 985 Yds, 6 TD
Glenn Freitas QB 34 Cmp, 63 Att, 417 Yds, 2 TD
John Hao QB 29 Cmp, 56 Att, 413 Yds, 1 TD

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: Who was UH's QB in 1995?

Post by shrek2 »

Here's a possible point of reference.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sc ... oster.html
My guess is John Macon.

rodfather
All-American
All-American

Post by rodfather »

Correct me if I am wrong but I vaguely remember a newspaper article around that time about a four headed QB battle. Rodney Glover I think was the 4th QB even though I think he moved to RB that year. People were wondering who would start because each one of them had their strengths and weaknesses. 1995, that was my freshmen year at UH...I feel old.
"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat." --- Jigoro Kano, The Founder of Judo

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

I feel like John Hao was the starter at the end of the season, but I don't remember for sure. I think Glenn Freitas started the year after or at some point in the VonAppen years because I remember him going into the crowd to break up a fight...

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

The follow up to me asking this question is. Garrett Gabriel had success, but the Options offense was never his cup of tea. The same with Ken Numatalolo. Garrett Gabriel was drafted by Dick Tomey, so that's really not Wagner's guy. So they searched and found Micheal Carter. The rest is history with Holiday Bowl, back then when winning this Bowl meant something.

So how come Wagner could not find another QB? Were any of these guys Option-Type QBs?

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

cabanalane wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:43 pm Does anyone recall who was Starting UH's QB during Bob Wager's last year in 1995?

The one with the higher stats must be the starter. Does anyone recall?

Johnny Macon QB 68 Cmp, 152 Att, 985 Yds, 6 TD
Glenn Freitas QB 34 Cmp, 63 Att, 417 Yds, 2 TD
John Hao QB 29 Cmp, 56 Att, 413 Yds, 1 TD
Looks Like Hao started the season as the starter and Macon ended the season as the starter
http://hawaiiathletics.com/sports/2010/ ... h=football

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

cabanalane wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:29 pm The follow up to me asking this question is. Garrett Gabriel had success, but the Options offense was never his cup of tea. The same with Ken Numatalolo. Garrett Gabriel was drafted by Dick Tomey, so that's really not Wagner's guy. So they searched and found Micheal Carter. The rest is history with Holiday Bowl, back then when winning this Bowl meant something.

So how come Wagner could not find another QB? Were any of these guys Option-Type QBs?
Wags had Warren Jones, Ivin Jasper, Freitas from Waianae. Coach actually had some run and shoot in his offense. I think the loss of Paul Johnson really hurt. That has been a huge problem for head coaches at UH. When you are successful other teams will poach your coaches or assistants will go looking for better opportunities. I thought that we were headed in the right direction when Mack made Rolo and Dave coordinators. Then UH fires Mack and lolo Chow did not retain those 2. I think you stand a better chance of success with good coaches than name players. Good coaches will also attract good players. Some coaches like JJ are really good at evaluating talent.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

Maui Boy in Alaska
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Bears

Post by Maui Boy in Alaska »

John Hao was the starter against Texas the 1st game of the season. He was at that time the QB that was the best passes and was a high energy guy. However, he was not great at the triple option which lead to him being replaced. I believe he earned his starting job back at the end of the season.

nostra_808
Starter
Starter

Post by nostra_808 »

I remember the starting QB kept changing every few games or something like that. Hao was my favorite of the group cause he could throw a nice ball, then macon cause he could play the option or pass the ball (UH version of Kordell Stewart lol), then Glover cause he was danny glovers nephew lol

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

rodfather wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:50 pm Correct me if I am wrong but I vaguely remember a newspaper article around that time about a four headed QB battle. Rodney Glover I think was the 4th QB even though I think he moved to RB that year. People were wondering who would start because each one of them had their strengths and weaknesses. 1995, that was my freshmen year at UH...I feel old.
My three years as a UH student were during the VonAppen years :(

Maui Boy in Alaska
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Bears

Post by Maui Boy in Alaska »

That four headed QB article was from 1994.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

rodfather wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:50 pm Correct me if I am wrong but I vaguely remember a newspaper article around that time about a four headed QB battle. Rodney Glover I think was the 4th QB even though I think he moved to RB that year. People were wondering who would start because each one of them had their strengths and weaknesses. 1995, that was my freshmen year at UH...I feel old.
Rodfather - you're still a young whippersnapper. My UH years were at the end of the Larry Price era and in the beginning of the Dick Tomey years! Aloha Stadium opened up at the beginning of my senior year in high school. My first UH game in attendance was against Nebraska and Price's last game as head coach. During that shellacking, the Nebraska 3rd string quarterback threw a humungous bomb for a score. Very embarrassing but showed the disparity between a national power versus a lowly independent school, 68-3.

Despite a rebuilding year, I'm looking forward to Warrior Football 2018.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.