Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Dylan Toilolo to UH

Post by My3Cats »

cabanalane wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:37 am
My3Cats wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:18 pm

If you had access to the Star-Advertiser, here is a small blurb that explains.

I don't have access. Thank you for the info.
No prob!
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

RedZone wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:09 pm Rolo needs to make him earn the scholarship and save the scholarships we have now for those who really want to play here. We are losing too many scholarship players. We can’t build a good program if we keep handing out scholarships to transients.
I think he has to be on the roster for 2 seasons before they can give him a scholarship or it would count against the 25 initials for 2018.

walk-ons were once the lifeblood of the program...

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

poidog wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:58 pm
RedZone wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:09 pm Rolo needs to make him earn the scholarship and save the scholarships we have now for those who really want to play here. We are losing too many scholarship players. We can’t build a good program if we keep handing out scholarships to transients.
I think he has to be on the roster for 2 seasons before they can give him a scholarship or it would count against the 25 initials for 2018.

walk-ons were once the lifeblood of the program...
This is a pretty good class of local walk-ons so this could be the turning point to get that back up again

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Back then, it the 80s, tuition was just a tick over $500. I recall because my cc limit was only $500. It was "easy" to be a walk-on meaning pay your own way, get on the team, etc. Factor for inflation, tuition really wasn't that much money (compare to today).

With the cost of tuition today, being a walk-on is an expensive gamble for the family. Maybe there are players that can compete as a walk-on, and become a star. Maybe they just don't have the $$$ for it, so we will never know.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Neighbor wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:09 am This is a pretty good class of local walk-ons so this could be the turning point to get that back up again
I am really optimistic about it, and I think it is the result of some really smart coaching hires this year, particularly with Banker and Batoon. I can't wait to see if it translates to success on the field...