Why a 1 and done QB might not be a bad idea

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
BigWave96744

Why a 1 and done QB might not be a bad idea

Post by BigWave96744 »

If you are comfortable with Cole McDonald or Larry Tuileta being in the running for a starting position please don't waste your time reading the rest of this post.

Currently in spring camp we have
True Frosh Jeremy Moussa - High Upside
Soph to be Cole McDonald - 5-19 22 yards 1 TD, but rumored to possibly switch positions
Senior to be Larry Tuileta - last games played was the State Championship game in December 2013, current part time football and volleyball player

Summer
Chevan Coreiro arrives - High Upside

This pretty much leaves us with 2 True Freshman QB in the fall 2018 and no solid backup.
Should someone get hurt or if their adjustment to D1 play is not quite ready, we are in a real bind.

Signing a D1 Transfer with 1 year remaining could serve as an insurance policy.
If they win the starting job, the 2 True Frosh still could redshirt, learn the system and be poised for 4 years
If a True Frosh wins the job, the D1 transfer is still a solid backup along with the other True Frosh.

YES, it didn't quite work out for Norm Chow, but look at what Baker Mayfield did for Oklahoma, and Marcus McMaryion for Fresno St.
Many BCS Schools are picking up grad transfer QBs for 2018.

I'm going to keep track of Grad Transfer QB and if they are available.

BigWave96744

Re: Why a 1 and done QB might not be a bad idea

Post by BigWave96744 »

Code: Select all

QBs who can play immediately
Player            HS* Prev School      New School   Gms/Starts Elig Comments
----------------- --- ---------------  ------------ ---------- ---- ------------------------
Drew Barker        4* Kentucky                      12 / 5      1   Opted to retire from football in 2018
Ryan Boyle         3* Iowa                           0 / 0      2
Keller Chryst      4* Stanford                      23 / 6      1 
J.J. Cosentino     4* Florida St                    12 / 0      1
Quinten Dormandy   4* Tennesse                      16 / 5      2   shoulder surgery 2017
Jeff George, Jr    2* Illinois                      11 / 8      2
Tucker Israel      3* Clemson                        2 / 0      2
Alex Malzone       4* Michigan         Miami-Ohio    3 / 0      1   played against Hawaii
James Morgan       3* Bowling Green    Florida Int  19 / 10     2
Jalan McClendon    3* North Carolina                18 / 0      1
Shea Patterson     5* Ole Miss         Michigan     10 / 10     2
KJ Carta-Samuels   4* Washington       UCLA         25 / 1      1
Lindsey Scott      3* LSU/EMCC         Missouri                 3
Evan Shirreffs     2* Miami                          5 / 0      2
Wilton Spieght     3* Michigan                      21 / 17     1   back injury in 2017
Alex Thompson      NR Wagner                        24 / 22     1   NFL Prospect
Darius Wade        3* Boston College   Delaware     17 / 3      1
Brady White        4* Arizona St       Memphis       2 / 1      2
Sean White         4* Auburn                        18 / 16     1
Tyler Wiegers      4* Iowa             E. Michigan   6 / 0      1

QBs who could transfer and play immediately
Joe Burrow         4* Ohio State                    11 / 0      2
Brandon Dawkins    3* Arizona                       23 / 9      1  born in Hawaii
Tommy Stevens      3* Penn St                       14 / 0      2
Jordan Ta'amu      3* Ole Miss                       8 / 0      1  Pearl City HS Grad

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

BigWave96744 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:49 pm If you are comfortable with Cole McDonald or Larry Tuileta being in the running for a starting position please don't waste your time reading the rest of this post.

Currently in spring camp we have
True Frosh Jeremy Moussa - High Upside
Soph to be Cole McDonald - 5-19 22 yards 1 TD, but rumored to possibly switch positions
Senior to be Larry Tuileta - last games played was the State Championship game in December 2013, current part time football and volleyball player

Summer
Chevan Coreiro arrives - High Upside

This pretty much leaves us with 2 True Freshman QB in the fall 2018 and no solid backup.
Should someone get hurt or if their adjustment to D1 play is not quite ready, we are in a real bind.

Signing a D1 Transfer with 1 year remaining could serve as an insurance policy.
If they win the starting job, the 2 True Frosh still could redshirt, learn the system and be poised for 4 years
If a True Frosh wins the job, the D1 transfer is still a solid backup along with the other True Frosh.

YES, it didn't quite work out for Norm Chow, but look at what Baker Mayfield did for Oklahoma, and Marcus McMaryion for Fresno St.
Many BCS Schools are picking up grad transfer QBs for 2018.

I'm going to keep track of Grad Transfer QB and if they are available.
The two transfers QBs you named aren’t one and done players. Not even grad transfers.

Baker Mayfield was a sophomore with a redshirt to burn for his transfer year when he went to Oklahoma. Not quite the same as one and done.

Marcus McMaryion came to Fresno St as junior using his redshirt for his transfer year.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Keller Chryst
Jeff George J.R.

Are notable grad transfers that if I were Rolo I would consider.

One “not” grad transfer I would like is Shane Buechele from Texas.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

After graduating from Oregon State with a degree in public health this past summer, and missing a sense of community, McMaryion had an opportunity to transfer.

There was one school on top of his list: Fresno State.

In early August, McMaryion officially joined the Bulldogs as a graduate transfer.
http://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/story/ ... 752012001/

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

EITSwarrior wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:13 am Keller Chryst
Jeff George J.R.

Are notable grad transfers that if I were Rolo I would consider.

One “not” grad transfer I would like is Shane Buechele from Texas.
Would be funny if upon finishing college, June Jones signs Jeff George, Jr to play in the CFL

Link
Go to 1:22:30 :)

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Maybe it'll be ok but it usually takes at least a year for the QB to get comfortable with the RnS. Look at Junes' record when he had to break in a new QB, all losing seasons except for the first one. If the pattern follows and we are struggling this year, I would rather struggle with a QB that will be around a few years and not with someone who will leave after the year and we'll have to have a new QB again next year.
ImageImage

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Ta'amu is intriguing, but I've grown tired of transfers, JC or not. I'm ready for UH to organically develop a QB for once. If we're gonna lose, let's build towards something.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

J-Rod wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:09 am Ta'amu is intriguing, but I've grown tired of transfers, JC or not. I'm ready for UH to organically develop a QB for once. If we're gonna lose, let's build towards something.
True but the last HS QB that was developed by Hawaii and finished as a starter? Was Timmy Chang. Ikaika Woolsey got replaced by Dru his senior year.

JC transfers who finished their senior year strong
Dan Robinson, Rolo, Colt, Greg Alexander, Bryant Moniz, Shane Austin

I thought Aaron Zwalen was going to break that string. Moussa and Cordeiro has huge upsides but of they aren't ready, who we go as a backup?

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I like OP's idea. Get a one-and-done. Establish the receivers, line, etc. Then bring in the fresh QB. He will have a much easier time to grow, learn, and build up the confidence.

Plug in the QB last. But get him first. Red shirt and learn.

The only down side is Rolo is in his 3rd year. But I think fans are giving him a longer leash. Fire Chow came in the 3rd year. But that may be Chow reluctant to do anything new. Rolo is changing the offense. I think fans will give him more time. Today's fans are different I think. This 3rd year can not be like the 2nd year or fans will start chanting...

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

BigWave96744 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:24 am
After graduating from Oregon State with a degree in public health this past summer, and missing a sense of community, McMaryion had an opportunity to transfer.

There was one school on top of his list: Fresno State.

In early August, McMaryion officially joined the Bulldogs as a graduate transfer.
http://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/story/ ... 752012001/
Ok, but he’s not a one and done

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Well whoever the qb is going to be better be tough. I really don’t know what to expect when it comes to our oline. In the R&S our opponents will be looking to rush and destroy our quarterback. If our oline is not ready the new quarterback will get pounded. We will also need a really good blocking back who can run.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

we need more arms for practice. four QB's are not enough.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Recruiting 3 QB in a given year happen often in a passing offense

2000: Timmy Chang (HS), Kevin Gilbride (BYU Transfer), Nick Rolovich (JC)

2002: Inoke Funaki (HS), Ryan Stickler (HS), Jason Weildon (JC)

2004: Tyler Graunke (HS), Taylor Humphreys (HS), Brandon Satcher (HS)

2009: David Graves (HS), Corey Nielsen (HS), Cayman Shutter (HS)

2016: Dru Brown (JC), Cole Brownholz (JC), Cole McDonald (HS)

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

While I understand losing Dru Brown to transferring could bother some of us, I actually feel that we might have a fresh opportunity for a new start with Rolo's RNS Offense.

While I had hoped that we would have hired a QB Coach in Vince Passas as the 10th hire, our QB stable shouldn't be a concern if Rolo, Stutz and Coach Allen are dedicated to bringing UH back to one of the top passing teams in the country again.

Larry Tuileta could shake the rust off and has previous knowledge and potential in the RNS.
Chevan Cordeiro already understands the RNS.
Cole McDonald has seen some of the RNS with Rolo and if he can grasp the RNS this season, he gives UH a real Dual Threat concern for opposing defenses to worry about, if they blitz often.
Jeremy Moussa will have a new system to learn, but once he does, he has a very high upside potential.
Justin Uahinui, who Vince Passas holds in high regards, could be the surprise QB, not unlike Bryant Moniz.