Larry Tuileta should be 100% football

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: Larry Tuileta should be 100% football

Post by Irse »

ulua wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:46 am
stranger808 wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:43 pm Our football program's not good enough to give a scholarship to a part time player. We had depth problems last season.
Yup, this is not fair to the non-scholarship players who are here 100% at every practice, this scholarship should go to a starter that is not on scholarship or the very least even a bench player who contributes 100%
to the program, V-Ball should be the one to give up a Scholarship to Tuileta. this is messed up.
If he's on both teams, football gives him the scholarship per NCAA rules.
ImageImage

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

stranger808 wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:43 pm Our football program's not good enough to give a scholarship to a part time player. We had depth problems last season.
Yup, this is not fair to the non-scholarship players who are here 100% at every practice, this scholarship should go to a starter that is not on scholarship or the very least even a bench player who contributes 100%
to the program, V-Ball should be the one to give up a Scholarship to Tuileta. this is messed up.
maybe if they were all-americans on another UH sports team that's ranked in the top 10, then they wouldn't have that problem :P

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

Irse wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:01 pm
Thanks for the info Irse that part of a two sport athlete plying football and another sport, didn’t know football had to give the scholarship.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

ulua wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:22 am
Irse wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:01 pm

Thanks for the info Irse that part of a two sport athlete plying football and another sport, didn’t know football had to give the scholarship.
A little bit more detail to add. The sport with more total scholarships has to award the scholarship to the student-athlete. Football has 85 while men's volleyball has only 4.5. If I recall correctly, Yuval Katz is the only men's volleyball player to receive a full scholarship. Everyone else has to split the 4.5, if they get anything at all. In Tui's case, I believe that he was a walk-on in volleyball upon his return to Hawaii. Rolo did him and his family a huge favor.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

While I agree with the OP on most of his comments, I have to disagree on this one.

If you watch Men's VB, you can see how Larry Tuileta makes the team better as their libero, along with setter, Joe Worsley. Rolo gave Tuileta the scholarship knowing he was a dual sport athlete. It's currently volleyball season and he is contributing to the volleyball team. The Men's volleyball team has some serious chemistry this year.

If he is the athlete he was in HS, he could surprise and contribute to the football team once the season ends for the Men's VB team.

I hope he is able to compete at the QB position, as the scholarship QB's are still young and need to develop leadership skills at the D1 level.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

He's not even listed on the Spring Roster
Stephen Tsai wrote:With Kyle Gallup’s departure, there are only three true quarterbacks on the spring roster. Cole McDonald has been doing some good things (6-for-10 in the scrimmage). Jeremy Moussa has displayed a powerful arm. And Uahinui has shown he wants to be part of the conversation

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Yup. Tui still playing volleyball, so no can participate in Spring camp.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

My3Cats wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:20 am Yup. Tui still playing volleyball, so no can participate in Spring camp.
Was at the first few practices

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

BigWave96744 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:41 am
My3Cats wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:20 am Yup. Tui still playing volleyball, so no can participate in Spring camp.
Was at the first few practices
If I remember now, MVB had a bye week at that time? If so, good for Tui to be there.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Based on Hawaii's win over Long Beach who were previously 24-0 and "Tui" make BWC first team, it was a good move by the school to use the scholarship the way they did.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Football drives the program.
Men's Volleyball brings in little if not zero profit.
Our football team has really been going down hill in the past 8 years. The football team cannot afford to be donating scholarships to other programs or continue to give scholarships to players who have no chance to see the field.

True other schools do thus kinds of things, but they have depth at all positions.

Yes, good for Tui and the MVball team.
But we continue to STRUGGLE BIG TIME at QB this spring. I'm not even counting on the former SMU QB. All eggs are in the basket for Cordeiro. Just pray he never gets hurt

yakwarrior
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by yakwarrior »

Interested in seeing some video on the former SMU QB? Go to Bing-Kolney Cassel football. 6'2" x 200 then. 6'3' x 225-230 now. Bulked up a lot.
Tutored under Cris Miller former JJ QB. Trained buy JJ. in the RNS. Tutored under Hal Mummy in the Mummy air rald as well.
Beat all passing records at his high school set by Cary Conklin a 4 year back up to Cal Ripen at the Redskins and all conference records set by Drew Bledsoe 14 year pro, pre Brady at New England.
Kids been a hard lucker starting from turning away all interest to play for JJ and the RNS to moving to Sac St. No OL there.
He has all the tools. Can he stay healthy?

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Stephen Tsai wrote:Tuileta, who has participated in only two of 13 spring practices.

Tuileta faces an interesting workload this summer. He is trying to balance the short term (being prepared for the 2018 football season) and long term (as one of the top 50 volleyball players in the country, he is a future Olympian). He will train with the U.S. national team this summer in Anaheim and (for a week) in Hawaii while also maintaining his football studies.
This is old news. Everyone knew volleyball was his ticket to the future. Why pretend and hope and pray he challenge to be the starting QB?

With volleyball season over, does he still need to be on a football scholie? Do we really need a part time , backup to be on scholie for "Locker room leadership"????

Time to move on from giving all the limelight to Tui.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

BigWave96744 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:16 am
Stephen Tsai wrote:Tuileta, who has participated in only two of 13 spring practices.

Tuileta faces an interesting workload this summer. He is trying to balance the short term (being prepared for the 2018 football season) and long term (as one of the top 50 volleyball players in the country, he is a future Olympian). He will train with the U.S. national team this summer in Anaheim and (for a week) in Hawaii while also maintaining his football studies.
This is old news. Everyone knew volleyball was his ticket to the future. Why pretend and hope and pray he challenge to be the starting QB?

With volleyball season over, does he still need to be on a football scholie? Do we really need a part time , backup to be on scholie for "Locker room leadership"????

Time to move on from giving all the limelight to Tui.
I hear what you're saying.