Corey Batoon is the new DC

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Corey Batoon is the new DC

Post by J-Rod »

Jeff Tedford was decried by Pac-12 fans as an idiot when he left Cal and largely mentioned as a dreadful hire for Fresno by media. Now his Bulldogs look like a potential golden era is on hand in Fresno.

Corey's G5 resume is pretty good, he deserves the benefit of the doubt. I wouldn't get too worked up about his issues at the P5 level. He's not coaching at the P5 level anymore.

Really, it can't get much worse on defense. Staff was awfully inexperienced and it showed.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

I just hope he can bring in talent. He is supposed to be an evaluator/recruiter. He has seen and worked with P5 talent. Hope he can lure some here.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

He is the proverbial right fit. He is from here, and and he made his bones away from home. He coached in the big time. Duds don't last 26 years coaching college football, do they? He also worked as a DC before, so overall management of a defense should not be a learn on the job thing. I love it.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

J-Rod wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:00 pm Jeff Tedford was decried by Pac-12 fans as an idiot when he left Cal and largely mentioned as a dreadful hire for Fresno by media. Now his Bulldogs look like a potential golden era is on hand in Fresno.

Corey's G5 resume is pretty good, he deserves the benefit of the doubt. I wouldn't get too worked up about his issues at the P5 level. He's not coaching at the P5 level anymore.

Really, it can't get much worse on defense. Staff was awfully inexperienced and it showed.
That's news to me as Tedford was the winningest Cal coach, ever. Tedford was let go because of poor graduation rates, the lowest in the Pac12 from what I remember, but I could be wrong.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by stranger808 »

Duster wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:29 pm He is the proverbial right fit. He is from here, and and he made his bones away from home. He coached in the big time. Duds don't last 26 years coaching college football, do they? He also worked as a DC before, so overall management of a defense should not be a learn on the job thing. I love it.
Kinda sounds like Norm Chow, No? lol

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

stranger808 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:40 pm
Duster wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:29 pm He is the proverbial right fit. He is from here, and and he made his bones away from home. He coached in the big time. Duds don't last 26 years coaching college football, do they? He also worked as a DC before, so overall management of a defense should not be a learn on the job thing. I love it.
Kinda sounds like Norm Chow, No? lol
I suppose if you cherry pick from my post. Not so as to the post as a whole.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by stranger808 »

No "cherry pick" from your post, you asked a question...you wrote it, it is what it is.

go bows
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by go bows »

stranger808 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:05 am No "cherry pick" from your post, you asked a question...you wrote it, it is what it is.
There is that potential. Lets not forget Chow recruited better than Rolo sofar.

Chow's biggest issue was not finding the correct qb.

Batoon should be able to recruit AAC athletes. Southern recruits have done well for UH.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Norm came back as a Head Coach with no HC experience. Corey as DC with DC experience :)

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by stranger808 »

go bows wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:39 am
stranger808 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:05 am No "cherry pick" from your post, you asked a question...you wrote it, it is what it is.
There is that potential. Lets not forget Chow recruited better than Rolo sofar.
I agree.
Chow's biggest issue was not finding the correct qb.
I agree.
Batoon should be able to recruit AAC athletes. Southern recruits have done well for UH.
I hope you're correct, and I'm eating crow at the end of the 2019 season (I'll give him 2 seasons 2 improve our D. The second time around playing Batoon's D will be telling). At Ole' Miss, it was thought Batoon would bring in top recruits from the West Coast, that didn't happen. I hope I'm dead wrong on all counts, but what I've been reading has tempered my enthusiasm for this hire. Resumes' are like a recruit's highlight film, everyone shines...just look at Herman Frazier's resume. :(

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

I knew I’d get you to respond. LOL! BTW, NC does not strike me as a dud at being a career assistant. Now as head coach, you got me there. As Gobows posted, he was probably real close to having something special, but as they say, almost is good only with horseshoes and hand grenades.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

It was Jerry Glanville who had to simplify his defense after his first year.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Damn, I'm getting old. I thought it was Aranda.
ImageImage

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Irse wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:55 am Damn, I'm getting old. I thought it was Aranda.
No you're right. Aranda was too complicated during his first year as a DC. He said so about the middle of the season and started simplifying things then.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

uhwarriors wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:57 am
Irse wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:55 am Damn, I'm getting old. I thought it was Aranda.
No you're right. Aranda was too complicated during his first year as a DC. He said so about the middle of the season and started simplifying things then.
This sounds about right, if my memory serves me well. He was supposed to have a really thick playbook for defense.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.