Corey Batoon is the new DC

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Corey Batoon is the new DC

Post by My3Cats »

Whatever they're doing on defense is not working. It will be a massacre at Fresneck State.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

Demote and promote Mark Banker, nothing to lose
We need a change badly

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

First few games, the offensive was cooking. Recall how the other teams were able to come back into the game. Then offense got hot again. This hide the weakness in the defense.

I think only one or two games the defense played well.

Now, with the offense struggling, it can't hide the weakness in the D. What would we say if the score was 22 UH and 14 Neveda?

Forget the past wins or the offensive scores. How many points did the other team have able to score?

R&S win the game on offensive, true. But that should not give the defense a pass.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

All the defense has to do is to hold the opponents to at least one less point than their own offense scores. Or something like that.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

That's true. Win however is still a win, by 1 or by 21+. However, it's not the same. If the defense can not stop a team, then all the other team got to do is shut down UH's offense. There were like two games that were won by the defense. And maybe 4 that was won by the offense, and the defense played poorly.

That does not matter as a win is a win. But that's kind of like getting a C grade in school. C minus is passing, but it's not an A. The student didn't do well even when they pass and earned the credit for graduation..

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

ulua wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:54 pm Demote and promote Mark Banker, nothing to lose
We need a change badly
I kind of like that because his experience in being DC with OSU, Nebraska and the Chargers.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

It's interesting he is the Assistant HC and Linebacker coach. Most of the time, it's the DC or OC that is also the Assistant/Associate HC.

I like what you guys are saying, but don't like it. He has a good resume. But one thing it stands out is that he jumps around a lot. It's like a guy changing jobs. That's good for someone new, young, and trying to move up. But he spends a lot of 1-2 year kind of thing. All except on span of time.

Ok, he is good, but is he ever around to see how things really build up? To see if his vision shaped up the way he envisioned it to be?

If we compare Rolo's time. He did want to stay with UH, and Chow didn't want him. (I like to think, at this time) Rolo would turn down offers just because he would have to leave Hawaii. I'm not sure Banker would stay more than 1-2 years. It's not his MO.

The way I think some day Timmy Chang will coach at Hawaii a few years from now. Chang just need to build up his resume. He does want to "come home."

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

cabanalane wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:06 am It's interesting he is the Assistant HC and Linebacker coach. Most of the time, it's the DC or OC that is also the Assistant/Associate HC.

I like what you guys are saying, but don't like it. He has a good resume. But one thing it stands out is that he jumps around a lot. It's like a guy changing jobs. That's good for someone new, young, and trying to move up. But he spends a lot of 1-2 year kind of thing. All except on span of time.

Ok, he is good, but is he ever around to see how things really build up? To see if his vision shaped up the way he envisioned it to be?

If we compare Rolo's time. He did want to stay with UH, and Chow didn't want him. (I like to think, at this time) Rolo would turn down offers just because he would have to leave Hawaii. I'm not sure Banker would stay more than 1-2 years. It's not his MO.

The way I think some day Timmy Chang will coach at Hawaii a few years from now. Chang just need to build up his resume. He does want to "come home."
Banker was with Oregon State from 2003-2014, went to Nebraska along with HC Riley, and then was let go in 2016. I don't call that jumping around.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

You are right. My mistake for not see the tail end of the list.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

stranger808 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:16 am Batoon bombed at Ole'Miss. The fans couldn't wait for him to leave. Got relieved of on-field coaching duties, he did better at FAU, his DB's led nation in picks. I'm expecting a Thom Kaumeyer/Legi level of frustration with a Batoon D.
yup.
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

No matter how you cook it and spin it, our defense sucks.

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

at this point we need a change, if Batoon is DC till the end we have no chance, lets see if Banker can put a little spark in our Defense, not saying if he is promoted to finish the season it will pan out, but at this point
we need to try.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

stranger808 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:25 pm
Irse wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:36 pm
stranger808 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:16 am Batoon bombed at Ole'Miss. The fans couldn't wait for him to leave. Got relieved of on-field coaching duties, he did better at FAU, his DB's led nation in picks. I'm expecting a Thom Kaumeyer/Legi level of frustration with a Batoon D.
I would give him some. How many DCs have these guys had in the last few years. I don't think there is a defensive player who had one DC for two years in a row. It takes time to learn a new D. IIRC, fans were frustrated with Aranda his first year. He had to simplify his D some so the guys could react and not think.
Im not one of them. I thought he did great, especially against the triple option teams. That 4-4 Aranda employed was a thing of beauty.
Aranda was the one coach I wanted the lolo to keep. But he let him get away. Our loss.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

cabanalane wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:06 am It's interesting he is the Assistant HC and Linebacker coach. Most of the time, it's the DC or OC that is also the Assistant/Associate HC.

Our linebackers are not doing a good job. They seem to take a long time reading the play and are not filling the pukas. They also need to get off their blocks.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

ulua wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:29 pm at this point we need a change, if Batoon is DC till the end we have no chance, lets see if Banker can put a little spark in our Defense, not saying if he is promoted to finish the season it will pan out, but at this point
we need to try.
I agree with this, because the Offensive "covered" for the Defense in maybe all but one or two games. True, all you need to do is win by one point. Yes, the Offensive have not played well, but the Defense played worst. Giving up 400+ yards is not going win games. IMO, 250 offensive yards may be enough to win a game, if the Defense not give up 400+. It's a game of math going the other way too.

However, I like to give Batoon more time. These guys are not his guys. Some are still Chow guys (like Tavai). Anyhow, my point is Batoon can only work with what he got. And guys that may not fit "his system." The bad part is, no one is given that much time. "Fire Rolo" chants will come before Batoon is replaced.