Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Re: Corey Batoon is the new DC

Post by stranger808 »

Duster wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:29 pm He is the proverbial right fit. He is from here, and and he made his bones away from home. He coached in the big time. Duds don't last 26 years coaching college football, do they? He also worked as a DC before, so overall management of a defense should not be a learn on the job thing. I love it.
Sounds kinda silly now, huh?
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

Makana
Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by Makana »

Get this guy outta here ASAP!!!
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

I'd still give Batoon another year. Recruiting the players to fit his system is the key. He started with the program way too late at the end of the last recruiting cycle to have an impact in this area. Need speed throughout the back seven. And someone on the defensive staff needs to teach the players how to tackle, not just try to hit with their shoulders. Maybe they need to watch "The Waterboy". That dude tackled with his hands, arms and whole body.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Old Diver
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Old Diver »

ulua wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:29 pm at this point we need a change, if Batoon is DC till the end we have no chance, lets see if Banker can put a little spark in our Defense, not saying if he is promoted to finish the season it will pan out, but at this point
we need to try.
I think what Banker gives you is administrative and organizational experience. Towards the end of his tenor at OSU fans complained he was able to handle USC’s West Coast style of offense but would get toasted by any option spread type offense like Oregon and Eastern Washington.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

I think our players are having problems adjusting to our new defensive scheme. In today’s paper Batoon pretty much said what we have been seeing. Players undisciplined with their eyes, poor tackling, losing 50-50 ball battle, etc. On the passing side Abe said players adjusting to playing for 5 DCs in 4 years and losing 3 safeties with starting experience.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

RedZone wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:28 am I think our players are having problems adjusting to our new defensive scheme. In today’s paper Batoon pretty much said what we have been seeing. Players undisciplined with their eyes, poor tackling, losing 50-50 ball battle, etc. On the passing side Abe said players adjusting to playing for 5 DCs in 4 years and losing 3 safeties with starting experience.
Sounds more like lack of talent.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

This sounds a bit like Batoon is pointing fingers. That's a bad sign. Perhaps he is shopping for the next gig? Batoon got nothing to prove, he know he is good. Hawaii is a small place. Imagine him and his wife going to Times or Foodland supermarket (are they still around?). What will people say to them? People can be mean.

It's a bit different on the mainland. A lot more distance. His family can be less known.

Rolo have come out and taken the blame many times for something that's not his doing, that's what HC do. Everything points to him the HC (when we know it's not him). Someone has to be responsible even when it's not their fault. If there is no soap in the locker room, it's the HC's fault.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

cabanalane wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:34 am This sounds a bit like Batoon is pointing fingers. That's a bad sign. Perhaps he is shopping for the next gig? Batoon got nothing to prove, he know he is good. Hawaii is a small place. Imagine him and his wife going to Times or Foodland supermarket (are they still around?). What will people say to them? People can be mean.

It's a bit different on the mainland. A lot more distance. His family can be less known.

Rolo have come out and taken the blame many times for something that's not his doing, that's what HC do. Everything points to him the HC (when we know it's not him). Someone has to be responsible even when it's not their fault. If there is no soap in the locker room, it's the HC's fault.
I suppose that it would be different if Batoon instead said that because of HIS bad coaching, that Players are undisciplined with their eyes, have poor tackling, are losing 50-50 ball battle, etc.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

We need a little more fire from the defensive coaching. Batoon is just too passive like he's teaching a math class.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

shrek2 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:33 am We need a little more fire from the defensive coaching. Batoon is just too passive like he's teaching a math class.
Aranda was like that.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Batoon may have just save his job for a little bit longer. Can't wait to see who his recruits are for next season. Hopefully this win against a horrible UNLV team can influence some good players to commit.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

My3Cats wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:30 pm Batoon may have just save his job for a little bit longer. Can't wait to see who his recruits are for next season. Hopefully this win against a horrible UNLV team can influence some good players to commit.
There were times, players look like they simply quit on defense. In the end, the finger always points back to the coach. Yes, I like to see who he recruits. Football is easier when you have size. I think UH players are generally small.

It's easy to recruit size on the mainland, Arkansas, O-Miss, Fl-Atlantic. And size makes you look good. Just ask Norm Chow. Who USC and UCLA can get makes a coaches job a lot easier.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

I think the analogy of a chef is a good comparisons. Let the chef pick the ingredients before you judge his cooking. If you have sub par ingredients, it will show no matter the skill of the chef. Have Chef Marvo serve spam vs filet mignon and see how quickly his business goes belly up. Ditto for UH's defense.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

I said Batoon wasn't a good hire.
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Looking back, I will still stand by what I said (also). I like his defensive schemes.

I'll quote what Leonard Peters said it best when Chow was fired. The Players got to look at themselves too.

These are Batoon's guys now. It was easier to sign top talent on the mainland, but still.