4 Vacant Coach Positions, what's taking so long to fill?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
BigWave96744

4 Vacant Coach Positions, what's taking so long to fill?

Post by BigWave96744 »

As typical with the University and government institutions, hiring can take a long time to fill positions.

But that's not always the case and it doesn't have to take so long.

No news is definitely bad news and a hurt on recruiting and getting ready for 2018. The longer this lingers, the more excuses will be used for under performance in 2018. Especially not knowing who will be the OC and DC.

We fans should not feel sorry for coaches being let go to make room for higher qualified coaches. They make really good money doing something they love. They enter the profession knowing moving jobs comes with the territory.

Also a Head Coach should have a long list of contacts to fill vacancies at anytime.

I hope the next Hanapa'a we hear of a signing of a coach.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: 4 Vacant Coach Positions, what's taking so long to fill?

Post by Irse »

Crappy pay compared to other schools.
ImageImage

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

The head coaches all belong to a union and hiring has to undergo State hiring practices - from what I remember hearing. Does hiring assistant coaches also have to jump through these hoops too? UH may be the only school athletic program that is hampered by this.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

My3Cats wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:39 am The head coaches all belong to a union and hiring has to undergo State hiring practices - from what I remember hearing. Does hiring assistant coaches also have to jump through these hoops too? UH may be the only school athletic program that is hampered by this.
I believe the head coach has most of the say in the hiring of assistants, but I think the AD and Chancellor has to give the final approval after the assistant is vetted. But the pay stinks. If they don't see it as a stepping stone type of opportunity, they won't come unless they are local to begin with.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

What's taking so long? First, Cav didn't give his answer when expected and other offers including the 10th position were pending his response. Second, recruiting going into the early signing date took precedence. Third, Suiaunoa and Hynson only officially left as of Monday, 12/18. The job postings to replace them went up immediately. The 10 day application period closes on 12/28. With the exception of the HC, upper campus doesn't need to approve contracts unless a salary is outside of the approved salary ranges. With the budgetary constraints, I don't think we're in a position to offer more.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

uhwarriors wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:46 am What's taking so long? First, Cav didn't give his answer when expected and other offers including the 10th position were pending his response. Second, recruiting going into the early signing date took precedence. Third, Suiaunoa and Hynson only officially left as of Monday, 12/18. The job postings to replace them went up immediately. The 10 day application period closes on 12/28. With the exception of the HC, upper campus doesn't need to approve contracts unless a salary is outside of the approved salary ranges. With the budgetary constraints, I don't think we're in a position to offer more.
There's the answer. I'd suspect that some applicants may also have or have had to prep for bowl games and were unavailable for interview(s). There are also the holidays, too, although coaches seem to sacrifice holidays for career matters. I kinda expect that we'll know more during the first week in January. I can see how a coordinator might bring in an assistant/protege with him like Kevin Lempa did with Sean Duggan to inject some familiarity and ensure a smoother transition to a "new system."

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Come on. Everyone knows Legi wasn't going to be the DC. Also not just filling Naeole's position, but we had a vacant position all season.

It's not like it was a big secret that coaching positions were needing to be filled.

Also were there no backups to Cav?

If anyone thinks the entire staff was to remain entact, they are delusional.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Some guys want to know who their position coach will be before signing. At least 1 or 2 pukas should have been filled by now.

Again no news is bad news

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Some candidates don't care about bowl games and accept positions with new teams. Doubt we are going to get anyone from a team waiting to play their bowl game by now

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

If Rolo was thinking to keep his staff intact and just adding Cav, he would have in essence been digging his own grave.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Why is it that to some, Lempa bringing in a grad assistant you learn OJT was ok, yet when Norm brought his Grad Assistants it was not? Both were ingredients for failure.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

BTW inexperienced coaches at the D1 level shouldn't expect premium pay.

Coaching experience alone should warrant Rolo and his staff to be paid less that that of Norm or Mack's staff.

Paying the same coaches more would not have gotten us more wins in 2017. Unbelievable that some would argue that if our current staff were paid like the middle pack of the MWC, we would have won more games. Not unless they would have extra Kala to pay off the refs

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

BigWave96744 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:59 pm BTW inexperienced coaches at the D1 level shouldn't expect premium pay.

Coaching experience alone should warrant Rolo and his staff to be paid less that that of Norm or Mack's staff.

Paying the same coaches more would not have gotten us more wins in 2017. Unbelievable that some would argue that if our current staff were paid like the middle pack of the MWC, we would have won more games. Not unless they would have extra Kala to pay off the refs
No. Better pay would attract better candidates.
ImageImage

gpmcconnell
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by gpmcconnell »

Billy Stutz is my guess for WR coach

gpmcconnell
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by gpmcconnell »

They can't expect to keep coaches when they pay near the lowest in CFB. That being said, I don't think losing Legi is a bad thing. I was hoping they would get someone else in there. The defense was impossible to watch last year. Offense wasn't exactly a joy to watch either